No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 2d6
Special Attacks: Seize throat
Special Defenses: See below
Magic Resistance: Standard
Size: M (6' long)
Morale: Elite (15)
XP Value: 1,400

The loup du noir, or skin-changer, is a werewolf that transforms by donning the skin of a wolf. In ancient times, some human hunters learned to assume the shape of a wold to better stalk and kill their prey. A few skin-changers still linger in the world today, people with a dark and sinister ability to assume the form of a savage, murderous beast.
Loup du noir have only two forms: human or wolf. In their human form they possess a normal character class and abilities. The wolf-form is as large and foul-tempered as a dire wolf, and possess several special abilities.
A loup du noir must have a special pelt that it can use to perform its skin-changing transformation into wolf-form. If the loup du noir cannot put on its wolf-skin, it is unable to become a wolf.

Combat: In human form, the loup du noir wears armor, uses spells, and attacks with weapons as normal. In wolf form, the loup du noir attacks with a powerful bite for 2d6 points of damage. On a natural roll of 20, the loup du noir seizes its victim's throat and inflicts double normal damage.
The dark sorcery that allows the loup du noir to assume its bestial form also protects it from many forms of attack. The werewolf is immune to all charm and hold effects, and receives a +4 bonus to saving throws against any other mind-affecting spell. It suffers damage from silver weapons or weapons that have had a bless spell cast upon them, but wounds from normal weapons heal too quickly to cause any damage. Magical weapons can harm the loup du noir, but unless they are made of silver or have had a bless spell cast upon them, the enchanted weapon only causes half damage.

Habitat/Society: The loup du noir is a solitary creature, but it is possible for several people (for example, all the members of a family or a band of hunters) to have learned the magic necessary for the skin-change. In human form, the loup du noir is often a hunter or outdoorsman,
Loup du noir are unusual because they have brought their condition upon themselves. Whatever their motivation, they soon find themselves seduced by the power of their new shape. Once a character has tasted the wolf's strength, the desire is strong to repeat the transformation. A character resisting the urge to transform must roll a saving throw vs. spells with a cumulative -1 penalty for each day that passed since the last transformation.
In wolf form, a loup du noir retains full human intelligence. This makes them cunning and dangerous opponents. However, their human judgment is clouded by an intense bloodlust that can turn them against any creature they encounter -- even innocents or friends. If the loup du noir is driven to attack someone or something it might not want to, the creature may roll a saving throw vs. spells to attempt to resist. There is a cumulative -1 penalty to the roll for each day that the loup du noir does not kill something; eventually, the creature must give in to its killing urges.

Ecology: The loup du noir is not a natural predator and kills indiscriminately, despite its human intelligence. In wolf form the loup du noir can spread lycanthropy by wounding its victims; there is a 1% chance per point of damage that a character wounded by a loup du noir becomes infected. The loup du noir is not considered to be a master lycanthrope and cannot induce the transformations of its victims or control their actions.
The curse of a loup du noir is passed to its children. Its offspring in wolf form are wolfweres, and its human offspring have the potential to become loup du noir.

Cleon

Legend
Loup Du Noir (Skin-Changer)

Looks like Echohawk's saved me the trouble.

You forgot the accreditation though, the above is the original version from Dark of the Moon (1993).

The reissue in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One (1994) is only slightly different.

It has the following stat changes.
Damage/Attack: 2d6 or by weapon
Morale: Elite (13–14)

Plus, the text has some minor rephrasing, the most noteworthy being the final paragraph which makes the hereditary nature of the condition clearer:
The curse of a loup du noir is passed to its children. Offspring born in wolf form are wolfweres, while its human-born young have the potential to become loup du noir.
I'm not sure what sort of lycanthropy it passes with its bite - it reads like you have to learn to be a Loup du Noir, so:
  1. Does its bite create ordinary lycanthropes (i.e. Werewolves) or Loup du Noirs?
  2. Does it create a Wolfwere if it bites a wolf?
  3. Can male Loup du Noirs sire a Wolfwere on a wolf?
    The "offspring born in wolf form are wolfweres" wording suggests only female Loup du Noirs can produce Wolfweres, by being their mothers,
I'm guessing the intent was to follows standard AD&D lycanthropy rules, so its bite creates "afflicted" Loup du Noirs from humanoids, but does not create wolfweres from wolves. Presumably the Loup du Noir then has to teach the afflicted the trick to become a Loup du Noir - however we make that work.

The only way it can create Wolfweres or "true" Loup du Noirs is by breeding.

Hmm, I'm wondering whether we should give its bite the standard SRD Werewolf Curse of Lycanthropy and leave the breeding in the flavour text.

Cleon

Legend
I still have these four noted as needing conversions:
  • Seawolf, Greater (Monstrous Manual)
  • Swanmay, Bird Maiden (Monstrous Manual)
  • Wererat, Greater (Dungeon 14)
  • Wererat Lord (Dungeon 62)
I'm not sure if they are all lycanthropes though...

The AD&D Greater Seawolf is different enough from the Lesser Seawolf to be worth converting, although it may be desirable to change its name. We may want to make it a Magical Beast like the Seawolf in Stormwrack.

The Bird Maiden is definitely a good candidate for conversion. I'm not sure I'd want to make it a Prestige Class like the Book of Exalted Deeds Swanmay, though. Have to think about it. It'll certainly have cleric spellcasting!

The Greater Wererat and Wererat Lord look very much like standard Wererats with levels in adventuring classes. The Lord is a true lycanthrope and the Greater Wererat an afflicted one.

Hmm, I suppose we could use the Dire Lycanthrope template and a 2HD advanced Dire Rat as the base creature to make them a bit tougher, but is it really worth it?

Anyhow, we can leave this debate for after we finish the Loup du Noir!

Cleon

Legend
The Bird Maiden is definitely a good candidate for conversion. I'm not sure I'd want to make it a Prestige Class like the Book of Exalted Deeds Swanmay, though. Have to think about it. It'll certainly have cleric spellcasting!

Oh, speaking of the Bird Maiden, the Monstrous Manual Bird Maiden entry mentions the lands of Zakhara and Hama. It seems this is the Bird Maiden's first appearance, so where do the Al-Qadim references come from? Any ideas?

Cleon

Legend
It has the following stat changes.
Damage/Attack: 2d6 or by weapon
Morale: Elite (13–14)

Plus, the text has some minor rephrasing, the most noteworthy being the final paragraph which makes the hereditary nature of the condition clearer:
The curse of a loup du noir is passed to its children. Offspring born in wolf form are wolfweres, while its human-born young have the potential to become loup du noir.
I'm not sure what sort of lycanthropy it passes with its bite - it reads like you have to learn to be a Loup du Noir, so:
  1. Does its bite create ordinary lycanthropes (i.e. Werewolves) or Loup du Noirs?
    The "offspring born in wolf form are wolfweres" wording suggests only female Loup du Noirs can produce Wolfweres, by being their mothers,
I'm guessing the intent was to follows standard AD&D lycanthropy rules, so its bite creates "afflicted" Loup du Noirs from humanoids, but does not create wolfweres from wolves. Presumably the Loup du Noir then has to teach the afflicted the trick to become a Loup du Noir - however we make that work.

Hmm, I'm wondering whether we should give its bite the standard SRD Werewolf Curse of Lycanthropy and leave the breeding in the flavour text.

Okay, let's start talking about the Loup du Noir.

I guess the easiest approach is to make it a variant of the Werewolf Lycanthrope template, but I can also see an argument for making it a Prestige Class like a swanmay.

Hmm, how about both? A "true Loup du Noir" uses the template, and if it bites somebody the afflicted becomes eligible to learn a "Loup du Noir" prestige class — or a Savage Species "monster class" — which ends with them becoming a shapechanger?

That would account for folk being able to learn how to become a Loup du Noir, and if they have children their offspring could become true Loup du Noirs.

As for stats, the AD&D original is somewhat tougher than a standard AD&D werewolf - 2 more Hit Dice, AC 3, a 2d6 bite and a "seize throat" special attack.

We can get most of that by having them based on a Dire Werewolf with a bonus Improved Natural Attack (bite) instead of a bonus Multiattack feat. We just need to add slight NA boost (another +2?) and a "Seize Throat" special attack. Possibly as a substitute for the Dire Wolf's Trip attack?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
The Greater Wererat and Wererat Lord look very much like standard Wererats with levels in adventuring classes. The Lord is a true lycanthrope and the Greater Wererat an afflicted one.

Hmm, I suppose we could use the Dire Lycanthrope template and a 2HD advanced Dire Rat as the base creature to make them a bit tougher, but is it really worth it?

Regarding the variant wererats, I've pulled out my Dungeon collection to check the material and I think we can do something with them.

The Dungeon 62 Wererat Lord still looks very much like a SRD true lycanthrope Wererat, but it does have one additional power - it can dominate the wererats it creates.

The Greater Wererat, as written, is just a standard SRD afflicted lycanthrope Wererat in 3E terms.

However the "Normal Wererat" in that Dungeon 14 adventure is different, because it's a BECMI scenario and uses the Basic D&D version of the wererat.

This "Normal Wererat" is a giant rat that turns into a human, plus it retains its resistance to weapons when in human form. (BECMI Wererats are vulnerable to normal weapons in other sources, but I think we'd better keep this trait to make this monster more distinct). It can also control ordinary rats.

In other words, a BECMI wererat is a theriathrope, not a lycanthrope.

So, how about this...

We do a "Ratwere" as a 3HD Magical Beast. If it bites a Dire Rat they turn into another Ratwere, but if it bites a human they turn into a "Greater Wererat" (note that a non-human humanoid will sicken and die).

A "Greater Wererat" uses the Dire Template but cheats and employs a "Ratwere" as a base animal. A greater wererat that's a true lycanthrope is a "Wererat Lord" with a special attack that can dominate wererats.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's save the wererats and various others until after the Loup du Noir.

Back regarding the Hollow World werejaguar, I don't think the SRD says a natural lycanthrope can't take Control Shape as a class skill, just that it doesn't need to. But it's ok that it's explicit.

Next post on Loup du Noir.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer

I'd do this, assuming you mean the Werewolf Curse of Lycanthropy that creates werewolfs when it bites humanoids. Wolfweres and loup du noirs should only come from reproduction.

Okay, let's start talking about the Loup du Noir.

I guess the easiest approach is to make it a variant of the Werewolf Lycanthrope template, but I can also see an argument for making it a Prestige Class like a swanmay.

Hmm, how about both? A "true Loup du Noir" uses the template, and if it bites somebody the afflicted becomes eligible to learn a "Loup du Noir" prestige class — or a Savage Species "monster class" — which ends with them becoming a shapechanger?

That would account for folk being able to learn how to become a Loup du Noir, and if they have children their offspring could become true Loup du Noirs.

This is getting a bit more complicated than I'd like for this monster. I'd support a single template that can be inherited or acquired. Or a prestige class if you really insist, but not both.

As for stats, the AD&D original is somewhat tougher than a standard AD&D werewolf - 2 more Hit Dice, AC 3, a 2d6 bite and a "seize throat" special attack.

We can get most of that by having them based on a Dire Werewolf with a bonus Improved Natural Attack (bite) instead of a bonus Multiattack feat. We just need to add slight NA boost (another +2?) and a "Seize Throat" special attack. Possibly as a substitute for the Dire Wolf's Trip attack?

We also need some SQ to do with the magic wolf skin. Starting with the Dire lycanthrope werewolf is probably reasonable. Seize Throat can be based on Imp Grab with strangle or whatever the ability is that prevents speech when grappled.

Cleon

Legend
Let's save the wererats and various others until after the Loup du Noir.

Yes, I just wanted to post the outline of what I was thinking of doing with them (a) so you'd know what I was planning for after we finish the Loup du Noir and (b) so I wouldn't forget!

Back regarding the Hollow World werejaguar, I don't think the SRD says a natural lycanthrope can't take Control Shape as a class skill, just that it doesn't need to. But it's ok that it's explicit.

The SRD says afflicted lycanthropes add Control Shape as a class skill.

It does not say true lycanthropes add Control Shape, so they don't.

Anyhow, I think we're done with them. Let's focus on the Wolf of the Dark.

Cleon

Legend
I'd do this, assuming you mean the Werewolf Curse of Lycanthropy that creates werewolfs when it bites humanoids. Wolfweres and loup du noirs should only come from reproduction.

Yes, I was asking whether to use Curse of Lycanthropy (SRD Werewolf) as opposed to a "Curse du Loup" of some kind.

Regular lycanthropy does seem a lot easier.

This is getting a bit more complicated than I'd like for this monster. I'd support a single template that can be inherited or acquired. Or a prestige class if you really insist, but not both.

I feel a Cleon Special™ coming on... :)

If we do it as a Savage Species class we could use the same class for both, just by giving the "true loup du noir" the curse of lycanthropy and higher DR.

We also need some SQ to do with the magic wolf skin. Starting with the Dire lycanthrope werewolf is probably reasonable. Seize Throat can be based on Imp Grab with strangle or whatever the ability is that prevents speech when grappled.

Yes, I'm wondering whether we can repurpose the Silkie's "Magic Seal Skin" special ability.

I think I'll start a Working Draft with the Dire Werewolf plus a few changes, then we can start reverse-engineering a template or savage species class from that.

Remove ads