Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The 3-column format does seem a bit better. Since we'll have a bunch of new lycanthropes coming along in not so long, we should probably go with that format in the future. Tidying up is something we can worry about later if we ever get free time.

The proposed "Alternate Werejaguars" underbar and its subheadings looks good.

Curse of the Jagwere #2 looks a bit too much like the curse of therianthropy to me. ;) Let's take out a little bit of the lycanthrope business:

Curse of the Jagwere No 2 (Su): Any humanoid hit by a jagwere's bite attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become a jagwere the next time there is a full moon. The victim loses all abilities it possessed prior to transformation, becoming an ordinary jagwere in all respects except for the following: The "cursed jagwere" does not have a Curse of the Jaguar special attack. A "cursed jagwere" retains no memory or interest in its former existence, but does retain any equipment it carried. Cursed jagweres can be cured of their condition by a remove curse or break enchantment cast on the jagwere during one of the three days of the full moon if the jagwere succeeds on a DC 20 Will save. The save DC is Constitution-based, and the Will save DC has a +5 circumstance bonus.

Cleon

Legend
The 3-column format does seem a bit better. Since we'll have a bunch of new lycanthropes coming along in not so long, we should probably go with that format in the future. Tidying up is something we can worry about later if we ever get free time.

The proposed "Alternate Werejaguars" underbar and its subheadings looks good.

I've updated the Creature Catalog Werejaguar with that.

I think it's done now, unless you can spot any egregious mistakes!

Curse of the Jagwere [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] looks a bit too much like the curse of therianthropy to me. ;) Let's take out a little bit of the lycanthrope business:

Curse of the Jagwere No 2 (Su): Any humanoid hit by a jagwere's bite attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become a jagwere the next time there is a full moon. The victim loses all abilities it possessed prior to transformation, becoming an ordinary jagwere in all respects except for the following: The "cursed jagwere" does not have a Curse of the Jaguar special attack. A "cursed jagwere" retains no memory or interest in its former existence, but does retain any equipment it carried. Cursed jagweres can be cured of their condition by a remove curse or break enchantment cast on the jagwere during one of the three days of the full moon if the jagwere succeeds on a DC 20 Will save. The save DC is Constitution-based, and the Will save DC has a +5 circumstance bonus.

There's a "Curse of the Jaguar" which should be "Jagwere". I'd cut out the "during one of the three days of the full moon" bit, and I prefer fixed DCs for the saves. e.g.:

Curse of the Jagwere No 4 (Su): Any humanoid hit by a jagwere's bite attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become a jagwere the next time there is a full moon. The victim loses all abilities it possessed prior to transformation, becoming an ordinary jagwere in all respects except for the following: The "cursed jagwere" does not have a Curse of the Jagwere special attack. A "cursed jagwere" retains no memory or interest in its former existence, but does retain any equipment it carried. Cursed jagweres can be cured of their condition by a remove curse or break enchantment cast on the jagwere if the jagwere succeeds on a DC 20 Will save.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can go with that. I'll edit it in, hopefully tonight. I've got some small errors to fix as I get my bearings with the database. By Mon morning at latest.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I've had a busy few days, and missed the last page or so of discussion. I do like the way the CC entry turned out though, with the various alternates listed, and I also like the wording of Curse of the Jagwere 4. (I prefer that wording to either 1, 2 or 3.)

Cleon

Legend
I've had a busy few days, and missed the last page or so of discussion. I do like the way the CC entry turned out though, with the various alternates listed, and I also like the wording of Curse of the Jagwere 4. (I prefer that wording to either 1, 2 or 3.)

Good, we're sticking with the current versions of the Jagwere and Werejaguar.

So, what werecreature are we converting next?

I'd like to do an Enworld take on the Kara-Tur Werehyena sometime - maybe make it a Hyenawere?

Apart from that, there's the "Lycanthrope, Loup du Noir" from Dark of the Moon (1993) and Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One (1994).

Are there any others?

The Loup-Garous have official stats in one of the licensed Ravenloft 3E supplements, if I remember correctly, so I believe they're out of bounds.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Are there any others?
I still have these four noted as needing conversions:
  • Seawolf, Greater (Monstrous Manual)
  • Swanmay, Bird Maiden (Monstrous Manual)
  • Wererat, Greater (Dungeon 14)
  • Wererat Lord (Dungeon 62)
I'm not sure if they are all lycanthropes though...

Cleon

Legend
Mystaran Hollow World Werejaguar
Standard werejaguars live in the tropical jungles on the surface of Mystara, but in the hollow interior of that world live another kind of werejaguar. A Hollow World werejaguar is not affected by the phase of the moon — indeed, there are no moons inside Mystara's Hollow World — but has shapeshifting problems based on hunger. A Mystaran Hollow World werejaguar gains the Hollow Hunger ability:
Hollow Hunger (Ex): The lycanthropes of Mystara's Hollow World are not tied to the cycle of the moon, their shapeshifting is driven by hunger instead.

A Hollow World lycanthrope (both true and afflicted lycanthropes) can only derive nourishment by eating fresh meat while in animal or hybrid form. It may not satisfy its hunger with any other food. If a Hollow World lycanthrope goes for 24 hours without satisfying its hunger for flesh, it must succeed at a DC20 Control Shape check or involuntarily assume animal form and hunt for prey. If it succeeds, the lycanthrope must make additional Control Shape checks every 24 hours (DC 20 plus 5 per additional day), or whenever it is presented with fresh meat or prey. Once a hunger Hollow World lycanthrope makes an involuntarily change, it cannot change back to humanoid form until it has fed.

This variant is based on the werejaguar from HWR1 - Hollow World: Sons of Azcan (1991).

Blast it! I forgot true lycanthropes don't get Control Shape, so I'd better add that. I'll just tag the following onto the CC Werejaguar's Hollow Hunger option.
A true lycanthrope with hollow hunger has Control Shape as a class skill for all its classes and its levels of animal. It also has a +5 racial bonus on Control Shape checks.
Fixed!

Remove ads