Seastars with high AC - 5e idea?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok - so now garganutan with hit point buff. Pondering that it maybe should be a bit stronger given its size...

Attachments

• gorgonocephalid.jpg
    gorgonocephalid.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 65

Cleon

Legend
ok - so now garganutan with hit point buff. Pondering that it maybe should be a bit stronger given its size...

Well basket stars don't need a very strong grip to outmuscle pieces of plankton so I doubt they're very powerful.

Strength 18 is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Let's see…

Armor Class looks fine.

Hit Points feels slightly low but is acceptable. Was expecting mammoth level Hit Points (i.e. 125+) but 106 is close enough. That's more than a Triceratops after all, and if it's good enough for a dinosaur it'll do for now.

Speed… For some reason I was thinking they were sessile like the similar-looking Crinoids, but double checking confirms Gorgonocephalinae like Gorgonocephalus arcticus are mobile creatures. I've no idea whether they're as fast as regular non-branching armed brittle stars though.

Still, if we reduce their speed the poor things will have enormous difficulty catching fleeing adventurers, so I think we can leave it at 20 ft. for now.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Well I think a bit like octopuses, sea stars are known to be strong and stubborn, so I reckon a +5 or +6 bonus is highly plausible. So maybe 19 STR, with dex 7 , int/wis/cha - 1/9/3

Cleon

Legend
Brain too sleepy...ok Str 22 it is

Updating the Basket Star with STR 22.

For the rest, as you've already said Intelligence and Wisdom is likely the same as regular Giant Brittle Stars (INT 1, WIS 9).

Dexterity maybe a step lower than the Ophiuroid for DEX 6? I think they're less agile than their serpent star cousins.

Constitution we've currently set to CON 19.

Which leaves Charisma. I'd rather it have three odd-numbered ability scores and three even-numbered ones like most monsters do in later editions of D&D, so favour one of the following:

A: Give them CHA 3 like a Giant Brittlestar as suggested and change the CON to 18, or…​
B: Give them CHA 4 and keep the CON at 19.​

Which do you prefer?

Remove ads