• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance Paladine and Takhisis, how did they return?

I'm not too familiar, but I understand 4E Dark Sun reverted to the beginning, consigning the previous metaplot to "possible story" status?

They could do something like that with Dragonlance, could be good. Back to basics.
yes and I wish they would rerelease more settings like that...

Pretty sure the 4e version kept Tyr as a non-Sorcerer-King-run city. Which is the fundamental event that ruined Dark Sun as a setting.
what?? it was the very first supliment. DO you really belive that day 1 first product after the 1st box set (if I remember even it hinted at it) 'ruined' darksun?

Rune

Once A Fool
what?? it was the very first supliment. DO you really belive that day 1 first product after the 1st box set (if I remember even it hinted at it) 'ruined' darksun?

Yes. Dark Sun as presented in the original boxed set was a bleak setting that emphasized that life was brutish and short. And the only way that was going to change was if the PCs did it.

Then they had NPCs do it, instead, completely undermining the theme of hopelessness that was previously established.

Last edited:

Yes. Dark Sun as presented in the original boxed set was a bleak setting that emphasized that life was brutish and short. And the only way that was going to change was if the PCs did it.

Then they had NPCs do it, instead, completely undermining the theme of hopelessness that was previously established.

I will respectfully disagree, freeing tyr is a great place to start. No NPCs going any further, no greening... no haflings in a hollow moon space ship..(man I wish I made that last part up). Just a free, but still bleak and kinda bad city, one dot. You want it not to fall back, or to thrive... make it happen.

I thought the 4e DS setting was the one all setting books should be based on.

What??? I have never heard of this.

I really hope those halfling astronauts had enough food for their journey!

I may have over jokeified it... the original Halflings ruled athis with life shaping (a weird type of magic/science) part of the greening was bringing back these supersages (they mastered magic and psionics) there was something call the messenger comet, and I have to look it up for details, it's been a while.

Fergurg

Explorer
Sadly, your statement was accurate. Although WotC didn't release any books for 3.0 or 3.5, they did authorize athas.org to do so, and they pushed the whole "halflings as lifeshapers" bit to the uttermost parts of insanity; according to the authorized material, the other races were created by halflings as a cruel joke.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I will respectfully disagree, freeing tyr is a great place to start. No NPCs going any further, no greening... no haflings in a hollow moon space ship..(man I wish I made that last part up). Just a free, but still bleak and kinda bad city, one dot. You want it not to fall back, or to thrive... make it happen.

I thought the 4e DS setting was the one all setting books should be based on.

I agree, pretty dire still; and the rest of that sounds...horrifying. :-o

delericho

Legend

Heh. That one always amused me.

One of the early 2nd Ed supplements (I think it was the Campaign Sourcebook, though I can't now find the quote) talks about how a DM could grab a pre-published campaign world and immediately hit it with a bunch of world-shaking events that radically change how it works. The book then advises against doing this, because it renders the pre-published world immediately much less useful going forward as all sorts of things have now changed.

And then TSR themselves did that very same thing with the first published novel for their brand new Dark Sun world. :)

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Sadly, your statement was accurate. Although WotC didn't release any books for 3.0 or 3.5, they did authorize athas.org to do so, and they pushed the whole "halflings as lifeshapers" bit to the uttermost parts of insanity; according to the authorized material, the other races were created by halflings as a cruel joke.
Oh well, people have to eat somehow.

Staffan

Legend
What??? I have never heard of this.

I really hope those halfling astronauts had enough food for their journey!

The original setting mentioned a comet called the Messenger that came around every 45 years, with the next visit being due in 6 years. The revised setting, moving the timeline forward 10 years, mentioned that the Messenger didn't show up as planned. It also introduced the concept of ancient halflings as life-shapers (or rather, it collected the various hints spread throughout DS1 materials), and said that a remnant, but highly degenerated, of the old-school halflings remained in the Jagged Cliffs region. One of the first (and also the last) sourcebooks for DS2 was Psionic Artifacts of Athas, which didn't just have psionic artifacts, but also magic ones as well as life-shaping-based ones. Another was Wind-riders of the Jagged Cliffs, describing the aforementioned halfling remnant and the things they could currently do with life-shaping (not much).

Before Dark Sun was cancelled, one of the products planned was Return of the Messenger or something like that, which was supposed to have some ancient halflings that had used the Messenger as a spaceship, and were now returning. This would be in addition to the other threats facing the Tyr Region: thri-kreen from the west, undead from the south, and whatever Dregoth the I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-dracolich had planned.

Remove ads