Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, I'd thought "use tentacles against" just meant for grappling purposes. If we mean it can only attack a PC with 2 tentacles in a round, we might want to clarify that.

It seems pretty clear what an "attack" is in this context. If we meant only grapple check we'd have said so.

Still, if you can think of any changes or additions to make the wording clearer I'd be happy to see it.

But I can certainly see your logic --- I always feel like I'm guessing at these levels.

Yes, Challenge Rating is a very inexact science, especially at higher levels. That an how easy a monster to defeat is often so context-dependent that it basically depends on what spell-and-equipment loadout the PCs happened to choose that day.

CR 20 is ok by me if it works for Arnwyn too.

OK, let's wait for him.

Cleon

Legend
Heh, I'm the last person to ask re: high-level creatures and CRs, but the logic in the previous post seems sound.

So, CR 20.

Seems we're agreed.

Updating the Noble Gossamer Working Draft.

What about the proposed changes to the "In Spelljammer" bit?

We need to modify the In Spelljammer text to account for our changes to the "collapse mass".

e.g. "A gossamer collapses if it enters the gravity field or air envelope of anything larger than itself." becomes "A noble gossamer collapses if it enters the gravity field or air envelope of anything that masses at least a billion tons (two million times the weight of the noble gossamer)."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think the wording "use tentacles" is a bit more vague than "attack with tentacles." I'd propose rewording to
"A noble gossamer can attack or grapple a Small or Medium-size opponent with only two tentacles at once. It can attack or grapple a larger foe with two additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that the gossamer has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can attack or grapple with only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of two tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area."

Tactics: Noble gossamers attack prey creatures with as many tentacles as possible, keeping them grappled while its acid and poison kills the prey.

Cleon

Legend
I think the wording "use tentacles" is a bit more vague than "attack with tentacles." I'd propose rewording to
"A noble gossamer can attack or grapple a Small or Medium-size opponent with only two tentacles at once. It can attack or grapple a larger foe with two additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that the gossamer has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can attack or grapple with only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of two tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area."

That has a few more "attack or grapple" than it needs, but I'd be fine with the approach. I've also realized that we shouldn't have mentioned "Face" as that's a 3.0 term - it's "Space" in 3.5.

So how about:

A noble gossamer can attack or grapple a Small or Medium opponent with only two tentacles at once. It can target a larger foe with two additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of space the opponent has, provided that the gossamer has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of two tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

Tactics: Noble gossamers attack prey creatures with as many tentacles as possible, keeping them grappled while its acid and poison kills the prey.

Hmm...

Instead of concentrating upon one or two enemies, a noble gossamer prefers to attack as many opponents as it can reach. The creature attempts to grab opponents with its stinging tentacles, then keeps hold while its acid and poison kills the prey.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Very good, I can work with that.

I think we can keep the basic description of the gossamer, just change the size to something incredibly huge on PC scales.

Background: Noble gossamers are colonial organisms composed of massive numbers of standard gossamers (are they created in times of stress?). Flashes of electricity and colorful currents pulse through the mostly transparent body. I think the bit about fragility mostly stands.

Remove ads