Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Very good, I can work with that.

Updating the Noble Gossamer Working Draft.

I think we can keep the basic description of the gossamer, just change the size to something incredibly huge on PC scales.

So?

A vast jellyfish floats in space. Its translucent flesh glows with cool colors that flow across its skin in waves, and lightning-like flashes zip across the clouds of light within its pearly interior. The creature is titanic; its body is wider than many ships are long, the numerous tentacles that radiate from its base must reach hundreds of yards. Most of its body is comprised of balloon-like sails.

Background: Noble gossamers are colonial organisms composed of massive numbers of standard gossamers (are they created in times of stress?). Flashes of electricity and colorful currents pulse through the mostly transparent body. I think the bit about fragility mostly stands.

I'd rather not say explicitly that they're made up of Standard Gossamers. There's nothing to that effect in the original text, so they are likely a related species.

How about:

Enormous relatives of the common gossamer, a noble gossamer is a colonial organism formed from countless smaller jelly-creatures living as one. Noble gossamers are social creatures who often travel in small groups. Their beautiful color display appear to be some sort of communication. A relaxed gossamer glows green, blue or purple, with the occasional flicker of yellow or orange. Alarmed gossamers flash bright red and amber.

Noble gossamers are predators who actively hunt creatures much smaller than themselves. They will attack ships, plucking crew and passengers off the decks with their tentacles. but they prefer to hunt alone. They prefer to hunt alone, but will form a flotilla with other gossamers to fight an enemy to strong to face individually. There is only one creature that naturally predates noble gossamers, the gammaroid. A single noble gossamer is no match for a gammaroid, but a flotilla of them can often defeat one of these space chelonians.

A noble gossamer's diaphanous body is mostly empty space, but is not as delicate as a standard gossamer. They can enter the gravity field or air envelope of anything less massive than a small planetoid without collapsing and dying under their own weight.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The original text for the noble gossamer doesn't mention the color display, actually, just talking about "colorful" electric flashes and "cloudy" currents. But it is nice to relate them to the standard gossamers.

Cleon

Legend
The original text for the noble gossamer doesn't mention the color display, actually, just talking about "colorful" electric flashes and "cloudy" currents. But it is nice to relate them to the standard gossamers.

Yes I know. It's also one of those entries were some of the text on the "primary" monster may also apply to the "secondary" monster who's own description is five sentences tacked on at the bottom of the page - but they don't make clear what bits of the text they are.

So shall I update it with that?

Cleon

Legend
Certainly seems reasonable to me. (I like the relation to standard gossamers as well.)

Great!

Updating the Noble Gossamer Working Draft.

Looks like we're finished with it then.

I vaguely recall we had another Spelljammer conversion request, but it was so long ago I can't remember what it was. Could look back through this thread and see what it was, I suppose.

If not, does anyone else have any preferences? I wouldn't mind doing the Xixchil myself - I was looking through our Tohr-kreen conversions and noticed that we're missing three of the Athasian "Mantis Men" - the two Zik'trin variants plus the Zik'chil, which is the "Xixchil" in Spelljammer. Our Trin conversion is also only 3.0, so we could update that to 3.5, but there that's hardly urgent.

Cleon

Legend
I vaguely recall we had another Spelljammer conversion request, but it was so long ago I can't remember what it was. Could look back through this thread and see what it was, I suppose.

Found it! We had a request from PoorPC asked for a conversion of the Porton and Skykine back in November 2012.

We've already done the Porton, but kind of forgot about the Skykine. Better late than never!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We should get on with it, then. ;)

PS. Arnwyn, you're welcome, and you're also welcome to stick around and help out!

Remove ads