Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Arnwyn

First Post
Sure, I'll go along with that assuming Arnwyn agrees.

I do indeed agree (I like the variability as well and prefer dice rolling to just a low static number (1!).

I also like "Brood" (just because it sounds more menacing, and my players react more to that kind of stuff). "Jive" would be... hilarious (though, I admit, it is Spelljammer...).

Cleon

Legend
I do indeed agree (I like the variability as well and prefer dice rolling to just a low static number (1!).

Updating Standard Gossamer Working Draft.

That just leaves the Challenge Rating for the Swarm then.

A Jellyfish Swarm is CR 5, but they don't take horrible damage whenever they contact an enemy. Then again, jellyfish don't fly either.

So either CR 4 or CR 5 I guess.

I also like "Brood" (just because it sounds more menacing, and my players react more to that kind of stuff). "Jive" would be... hilarious (though, I admit, it is Spelljammer...).

We can leave the "jive" for a group of Gossamer Nobles - they are real hip cats who truly dig it, you know. :cool:

Arnwyn

First Post
CR 4, then maybe? The taking horrible damage is a bigger factor than flying (which is pretty common in Spelljammer and everyone is prepared for it).

Cleon

Legend
CR 4, then maybe? The taking horrible damage is a bigger factor than flying (which is pretty common in Spelljammer and everyone is prepared for it).

Well the jellyfish swarm also only does poison damage and only has a speed of 5 ft., while the gossamer swarm does 3d6 acid damage as well as having a poison that's roughly equivalent to the jellyfish swarm as well as being able to fly as fast as a human can run.

The higher speed and physical damage are not inconsequential factors to their effectiveness in combat, so I'm leaning towards a weak CR 5 for them.

Let's see what Freyar thinks though, I'm still viewing CR 4 as a possibility.

Cleon

Legend
I lean toward a weak CR 5, too, but it really is on the edge.

Seems the majority is in favour of CR 5 then, so I'll update the Standard Gossamer Working Draft with that.

Glancing through it, we haven't set the Gossamer Swarm's Deliquescence damage.

Maybe 1d6 acid for a 5 ft. "injured swarm" puddle and 3d6 damage for the "destroyed swarm" puddle?

Also, I'm tempted to modify the Voidborn trait with the addition of the following passage:

If a gossamer swarm has a space in contact with another gossamer swarm's space, the connected swarms bolster each other by "sharing" their mass. Thus, if three gossamer swarms are connected together, it takes an obstacle weighing more than 900 pounds to collapse one of the swarms (300 pounds times 3 swarms).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I will go along with the acid damage for the Deliquesence. (Love that word!)

I will also go along with the increased mass tolerance for broods and nebulae of swarms. Seems fair enough to me!

Remove ads