• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We can probably reason that the swarm damage exposes the victim to a larger dose of both acid and poison, perhaps even from deliquescing individuals in the swarm.

Cleon

Legend
We can probably reason that the swarm damage exposes the victim to a larger dose of both acid and poison, perhaps even from deliquescing individuals in the swarm.

That's what I had in mind.

According to the Swarm subtype entry, a swarm with 11-15 HD typically does 3d6 swarm damage.

The Jellyfish Swarm in Stormwrack has a swarm attack that only does poison damage - which is a bit hard to explain as it's listed as an injury poison and its attacks cause no injuries!

Now standard gossamers only do acid/poison damage so we could do the same with the swarm version - i.e. "Attack: swarm (3d6 acid plus poison)", but I'm tempted to give them a dice of regular damage (like a Bat Swarm which does 1d6 damage despite the individual Bats not having any effective attacks) - i.e. "Attack: Swarm (1d6 plus 2d6 acid plus poison)".

Which do you prefer?

Cleon

Legend
I'd prefer just acid plus poison for swarm damage. It just makes more sense to me.

I can go along with that. Shall we use the standard 3d6 damage of a 12 HD swarm?

How much poison damage do you fancy? The Stormwrack Jellyfish Swarm does 1d8 Dex/1d8 Dex.

Our standard Gossamer does 1d2/1, so I guess we should have it do more initial damage than secondary damage. Maybe 1d8 Dex/1d4 Dex?

I'd keep the sickened rider on the secondary damage but increase its duration - maybe to 2d6 minutes?

We could boost it to nauseated, I suppose, but I'd rather reserve that for the Noble Gossamer.

Arnwyn

First Post
Nicely coming together.

How does Deliquescence work with a swarm? Does the 10 ft. space get covered in acid when the swarm dies?

freyar

Actually, this raises a good point: we need to specify the size of the poison puddle within Deliquescence. I'd go with 5 ft radius (ie, essentially one 5 ft cube in game terms) for a single gossamer. I might stick with that for every point where a swarm runs up against an object of, say, Medium or larger and, as Arnwyn suggests, a larger volume when the whole swarm dies.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, this raises a good point: we need to specify the size of the poison puddle within Deliquescence. I'd go with 5 ft radius (ie, essentially one 5 ft cube in game terms) for a single gossamer. I might stick with that for every point where a swarm runs up against an object of, say, Medium or larger and, as Arnwyn suggests, a larger volume when the whole swarm dies.

I was thinking of something along those lines, although 5 ft. seems a bit too big for an individual gossamer's puddle - I was thinking more 1 ft. diameter, the same as the Standard Gossamer's body, although I'd consider 2 1/2 ft., the same as the Standard Gossamer's space.

Also, the swarm ought to take damage every time it contacts something large enough to cause it to Deliquesce.

freyar

2 1/2 feet probably makes sense, given that the body will spread out a little once it's a puddle.

Agree. Maybe a few points of damage to the swarm every time, but we can make it's puddle a bit bigger. How about 1d6 hp damage and a 5 ft puddle?

Remove ads