Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I prefer the last option, as well.

Updating the Veiled Maidens Working Draft.

Should we give her flurry of blows as well? That'd add up to 14 attacks, so I suspect it's a bit fiddly.

Besides, her attack mod isn't so good even with the Weapon Finesse I'm assuming we're giving her. A +8 ain't so great. I'm wondering whether we should give her an enchanted scarf and/or Weapon Focus to boost that a bit.

Speaking of attacks, we need to make it clear that as she loses "bodies" her no. of attacks goes down. I'm thinking:

Multiple Actions (Ex): Whenever the Veiled Maidens performs an action, it can perform that action up to seven times - once for each of its bodies. Thus, if it makes a standard attack action it will make up to seven attacks at no penalty, even if it moves or charges during the round. The number of multiple actions it can make is reduced by one whenever one of its bodies is destroyed (see Multiple Bodies). When the Veiled Maidens performs an action, all of its bodies perform the same action (either against the same or different targets), with two exceptions.

Firstly, a Veiled Maidens' body can use the Aid Another action to aid one of its other bodies perform an action. Thus, if three bodies use Aid Another, they add three sets of +2 bonuses to the attacks (or other actions) of the Maidens' remaining four bodies, distributed between them however the Veiled Maidens desires.

Secondly, if a body qualifies for an Opportunity Attack, that body gets a single opportunity attack - the other bodies do not get opportunity attacks too. The Veiled Maidens only gets multiple opportunity attacks if multiple bodies qualify separately. The Veiled Maidens can make up to seven opportunity attacks per round - once for each body - plus any bonus opportunity attacks it gains from Combat Reflexes or similar abilities.

Just FYI, I'm probably going to keep my responses short until I can get caught up a little. Of course, hard to say quite how soon that will be...

Fine. The sooner the better.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed on no flurry.

The attack bonus is the usual monk problem. I agree, the veils should probably count as magic weapons of some type to boost that.

Multiple Actions works for me as written.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed on no flurry.

The attack bonus is the usual monk problem. I agree, the veils should probably count as magic weapons of some type to boost that.

Multiple Actions works for me as written.

Good! We can stick in a "the Veiled Maidens unarmed strikes and veil attacks count as X for the purpose of penetrating damage reduction" in Combat and figure out the X later.

Cleon

Legend
Well, then, which special attack do you want to deal with first?

The original Veiled Maidens had Blinding Feint and Entangle Weapon special attacks with their Veils, and also knew a soft martial art with the feint, stun touch, sticking touch, and steel cloth maneuvers. I've just slapped those names in the Special Attack line as place holders and added a "strangling veils" SA since that seemed appropriate.

Unless you have any preferences, we might as well just go through them in alphabetical order. That'd put Blinding Feint first.

freyar

Well, a straight translation is simple enough.

Blinding Feint (Ex??): If a Veiled Maiden makes a successful feint against an opponent, that opponent is blinded for 1d2 rounds.

What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Well, a straight translation is simple enough.

Blinding Feint (Ex??): If a Veiled Maiden makes a successful feint against an opponent, that opponent is blinded for 1d2 rounds.

What do you think?

Works for me.

We'd better give her Combat Expertise and Improved Feint then, as well as a decent Bluff skill.

freyar

Absolutely! Do you agree with Ex?

Entangle Weapon isn't spelled out very well, but I get the feeling it's a cross between grappling and disarming. Would you agree?

Cleon

Legend
Absolutely! Do you agree with Ex?

(Ex) is fine. It's no more supernatural than something a schoolboy can do with a towel, which is why it was (Ex) in the placeholder in the Working Draft.

Entangle Weapon isn't spelled out very well, but I get the feeling it's a cross between grappling and disarming. Would you agree?

There's no mention of it removing the weapon from the opponent, it reads more like it's "tying up" the opponent's weapon or weapon arm so they can not attack with it.

freyar

Hmmm, here's a proposal that doesn't quite get into the mess of the grapple rules.

Entangle Weapon (Ex): A Veiled Maiden may attempt to disarm an opponent with a +X bonus without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt succeeds, however, the opponent's weapon is not disarmed but tangled in the Maiden's veils until the Maiden releases the weapon or the opponent succeeds at an opposed Dexterity check against the Maiden. If the attempt fails, the opponent may not attempt to disarm the Veiled Maiden in reaction. Veiled Maidens may also attempt normal disarm actions with no bonus while provoking attacks of opportunity.

Remove ads