Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
In that case, we're down to the last one for this thread...

The Male of the Species
by Frank Mentzer

Editor's note: Last issue we published the description of "Amazons" by Gary Gygax. But although the men associated with these warrior women were mentioned briefly, their statistics and lifestyle were never fully described. To correct that oversight, we now present

Men, Emezon

I'm going to make a wild guess and say this was an April issue of Polyhedron. :p

Well these do have a special ability, so I suppose they're not just ordinary humans.

Although if we convert these, won't we have to do the Amazons it mentions too?

Cleon

Legend
My thoughts exactly. :p

Indeed.

Thought so!

Which issue number are these from, anyhow.

Not necessarily. We could just state that Amazons are simply human females.

But... that would be boring. Besides, it calls them "the male of the species" which could imply they aren't ordinary humans.

It'd help if we had the Amazons' stats.

Pardon me while I scatter a few hints underfoot...

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Thought so!

Which issue number are these from, anyhow.

23. I have that issue. I just noticed that it says the emezons' abilities are "average in all respects", but they have low intelligence.

The Polyhedron Amazon is also in Monstrous Compedium Annual 4, which says they first appeared in #22.

Cleon

Legend
23. I have that issue. I just noticed that it says the emezons' abilities are "average in all respects", but they have low intelligence.

The Polyhedron Amazon is also in Monstrous Compedium Annual 4, which says they first appeared in #22.

Thanks!

If it's in MCA4 then it'll be 2nd edition. Poly #22 is still in 1st edition, so are there any noteworthy changes between the two?

Cleon

Legend
I've checked the MCA4 version of the Amazon and they don't look like regular humans to me.

They've got a couple of special abilities - immunity to surprise and 1d6 damage unarmed strikes - and their Strength and Constitution are above human averages, even if they all have the "elite array".

Furthermore, there's a sub-bar about Demihuman Amazons, with notes on elf, dwarf, gnome and halfling amazons.

They look like a template to me... :D

Remove ads