Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
Fair enough. I'm arbitrarily picking 8 oz of chocolate, but I don't mind adjusting that.

Chocolate Healing (Ex): A cocoadaemon or chocodeva which eats 8 ounces of the finest chocolate (cost 1gp) it gains natural healing for the following 24 hours, allowing it to recover from its injuries as it if were a living creature. Furthermore, specially prepared chocolate remedies can provide a cocoadaemon with first aid, long term care and wound treatment as per the Heal spell, except they require Profession (cooking) checks instead of Heal checks and expend 2 gp worth of chocolate products per application. Chocolate healing does not allow a cocoadaemon/chocodeva to benefit from curative magic, such as a cure light wounds spell. It only grants "natural healing" for the duration.

Dang it, where did those errors slip in? I could have sworn I typed Heal skill.

8 ounces seems rather a lot if the creature itself only weighs a pound!

Maybe halve it to four?

Chocolate Healing (Ex): A cocoadaemon or chocodeva which eats 4 ounces of the finest chocolate (cost 1 gp) gains natural healing for the following 24 hours, allowing it to recover from its injuries as it if were a living creature. Furthermore, specially prepared chocolate remedies can provide a cocoadaemon with first aid, long term care and wound treatment as per the Heal skill, except they require Profession (cooking) checks instead of Heal checks and expend 2 gp worth of chocolate products per application. Chocolate healing does not allow a cocoadaemon/chocodeva to benefit from curative magic, such as a cure light wounds spell. It only grants "natural healing" for the duration.

Cleon

Legend
4 oz is ok, but where do you get 1 lb? I don't see a weight in the working drafts, and the spell lists 3 lb.

Hmm, for some reason I remembered it saying 1 pound in the spell, not 3.

In that case I'd be OK increasing the weight to half a pound, if you still prefer that.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
4oz will work.

3 days for the strict diet in Fattening? Su seems right for that, btw.

Any other specials for these? They feel about ready for skills and feats.

Cleon

Legend
4oz will work.

A quarter of a pound is fine by me.

Updating Cocoadaemon Working Draft and Chocodeva Working Draft.

3 days for the strict diet in Fattening? Su seems right for that, btw.

That would do I suppose, but I'm wondering if there's any way to make it a bit more interesting - what skill check or saving throw would govern an exercise regime?

Fort to have the stamina to see it through? Will to resist the temptation of sweet, sweet chocolate? Autohypnosis to ignore the hunger pangs?

Any other specials for these? They feel about ready for skills and feats.

I don't think they need any more special abilities, no.

They're described as being tricksy, so I think some sneaking skills (Hide, Move Silently) and maybe a bit of Bluff would be appropriate.

freyar

I think I'd go with a Will save for the diet.

How about 4 ranks each in Hide and Move Silently for both types, 4 in Bluff for the cocoadaemon, and 4 in Diplomacy for the chocodeva?

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd go with a Will save for the diet.

So what additional text would you suggest?

How about 4 ranks each in Hide and Move Silently for both types, 4 in Bluff for the cocoadaemon, and 4 in Diplomacy for the chocodeva?

I'd give them some Listen and Spot as well.

How about ranks of Hide 1, Move Silently 4, Listen 2, Spot 2, Bluff 3 (or Diplomacy 3 for Chocodeva).

freyar

Fattening (S): Any living creature who eats even a small part of a chocodaemon grows so obese they move as if their encumbrance was one grade worse than it actually is (e.g. a creature in light armor or carrying a light load moves as a medium encumbered creature. This effect lasts until the subject goes on a strict diet for 3 days; in order to complete the diet, the victim must make a DC 15 Will save at the start of the 3 day period to avoid giving into culinary temptations. In the event of a failed save, the victim can retry each day.

Those skills are acceptable.

Remove ads