D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
I like how its different than a normal poison. Makes things more interesting.

Sounds like we're good to proceed!

Updating Working Draft.

I'm starting to suspect its Strength is too low. I'm thinking it needs a Strength of at least 10-11, so it doesn't have a damage penalty.

How about making it a Medium-sized creature with Str 10 and Dex 11? That's a close match to a Medium Monstrous Spider; which has 2 HD, Str 11 and a 1d6 bite.

If we make it 3 to 4 feet long, half the 8 foot bodylength of the Large Phase Spider, the Dream Monster can still credibly stand 2 feet high and be Medium sized.

Finally, I'm thinking we ought to give it a Wisdom of at least 13, since that's what a Phase Spider has. Charisma 16, for the sake of argument?

Putting that together:

Medium Aberration
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16 [?]
Advancement: 4-5 HD (Medium); 6-9 HD (Large) [?]

A typical dream monster has a body 3 to 4 feet long and stands roughly two feet tall. It weighs about 80 pounds.

Cleon

Legend
I am comfortable with that. Might get weird having a ton of accidents happen to you and only take a point of damage each one.

Bear in mind that if the target fails their save versus the Sleep Venom the "accident" will appear to be fatal.

Still, I prefer the larger size and higher Strength.

Shall I update the Working Draft with all of the above, including the mental ability scores?

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good to me.

It looks like activity on these boards will be going on hiatus due to Shade's passing away. Freyar's said he wants to take a break, and I'm not in much of a mood to do much posting either.

Once the shock's worn off I expect we're going to resume conversions. I want this forum to carry on, and Freyar appears to feels the same way.

Anyhow, I've updated the dream monster Working Draft with the proposed changes, and I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Cleon

Legend
Well we're starting to recover from the shock, so I'll carry on with this thread.

What do you think about the red proposals in the Working Draft?

Cleon

Legend
The red Proposals work for me.

Updating Working Draft.

I added a Climb Speed.

We need a duration for the sleep venom coma.

Couldn't decide whether to make the Improved Initiative a bonus feat - it can wait until we choose the regular feats.

Any interest in a racial bonus on Move Silently for it?

Would it hurt to increase the strength a few points to give it a damage bonus? Monstrous Spiders have a 4-point Str change per size category, and using that to downsize a Phase Spider would make it Strength 13...

Still, it doesn't really need an increased Strength - it's sleep venom is it's main offence.

Finally, 5 ft. seems terribly, terribly slow. I know it's an close reflection of the original's 1" speed, but I'm thinking we should consider a 10 ft. speed.

Remove ads