D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Nookie

Explorer
2: Dream Monster

. . . A dream monster dwells in the pit. It reads the minds of the party members and try to lure them within its grasp . . . .

Damage from the dream monster seems to originate from natural occurrences; PCs who come in contact with the dream monster sustain 1d6 HTK of damage from what seems to be falling rock. In such cases, the "falling rock" hits the victim's head or chest area, and each Player whose Character is affected must roll 1d20 to see if his/her Character remains conscious. (This is actually a "save vs. Poison" to determine if the monster's poison puts the Character to sleep. Characters who fail the save remain asleep for one hour.)

If the Players get suspicious and say that their Characters believe that this is an illusion, then the PC with the highest INS should "save against his/her INS." On a successful roll, the illusion fades and the party sees the actual form of the dream monster: a tw-foot-tall gray spider.

Dream Monster
HTK: 3 (1d8)
AC: 10
AT: 1 (touch)
DM: 1d6 (bite) + save vs. Poison
MV: 1"
AL: Neutral
INT: Very
THAC0: 20
Specials: Dream monsters can cast illusions. They also have ESP and can read their intended victims' minds. Damage from them seems to be caused by natural occurrances. Their bite is an anesthetic poison; the victim must save vs. Poison or fall asleep for one hour.

Cleon

Legend
Dream Monster
HTK: 3 (1d8)
AC: 10
AT: 1 (touch)
DM: 1d6 (bite) + save vs. Poison
MV: 1"
AL: Neutral
INT: Very
THAC0: 20
Specials: Dream monsters can cast illusions. They also have ESP and can read their intended victims' minds. Damage from them seems to be caused by natural occurrances. Their bite is an anesthetic poison; the victim must save vs. Poison or fall asleep for one hour.

There you go!

It leaves quite a lot open to interpretation, doesn't it.

I guess the first question to address is what type shall we make it? If it's actual form is a "two-foot-tall grey spider" that could make it a Magical Beast like a Phase Spider, but I wouldn't mind Native Outsider or Aberration instead.

Nookie

Explorer
Shouldn't it be good Cha rather than good Will save that goes along with illusions?

I think he mean the critter sems more castery than frontline fighter which i agree. The creature just feels alienish. Messing with your mind and killing you with illusory accidents. Picturing something HPO lovecraft might have thought up.

Cleon

Legend
I think he mean the critter sems more castery than frontline fighter which i agree. The creature just feels alienish. Messing with your mind and killing you with illusory accidents. Picturing something HPO lovecraft might have thought up.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

I'll start a Working Draft with a bare skeleton for the stats, using a Small Monstrous Spider for the physical abilities.

Remove ads