Converting Monsters from Dungeon Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shouldn't the damage be boosted one step for the 2nd and 3rd generation ones, considering they'll be using bigger weapons?

Some other considerations: might we want to change the type to giant rather than monstrous humanoid? It would seem appropriate. Also, I wouldn't mind adding slams to the 2nd and 3rd generation ones, like giants. They need a bit more anyway.

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't the damage be boosted one step for the 2nd and 3rd generation ones, considering they'll be using bigger weapons?

Some other considerations: might we want to change the type to giant rather than monstrous humanoid? It would seem appropriate. Also, I wouldn't mind adding slams to the 2nd and 3rd generation ones, like giants. They need a bit more anyway.

I'm agreeable to both. The "Do not recalculate the base creature's racial Hit Dice, hit points, Base Attack Bonus, Base Saves or skills" needs some changes to.

Also, I'm wondering about giving the Second Gen Megalofolk a 5 ft. Reach and the Third Gen Megalofolk a 10 ft. reach, just to differentiate them a bit. As it is, there's not much to justify giving the 3rd Gen a CR bonus a point higher than the 2nd gen.

e.g.

Space/Reach: A second or third generation megalofolk's space increases to match its increased size category. The reach of a second generation megalofolk is the same as the base creature, but the reach of a third generation increases to match its increased size.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not going to push on the type change to giant, but I would be open to it.

I don't like the exceptionally short reach for the 2nd gen ones. What if they don't get slams until the 3rd generation? We could also give them something like rend if they need more.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not going to push on the type change to giant, but I would be open to it.

I don't like the exceptionally short reach for the 2nd gen ones. What if they don't get slams until the 3rd generation? We could also give them something like rend if they need more.

The slams don't add much to their combat effectiveness, since they'll mostly use weapons that do far better damage.

Rend would imply they have far more effective natural weapons than their original flavour supports.

Besides, 5 foot Reach isn't that exceptional for a Large creature. Plenty of Large creatures have it. Of course, most of them are "long" creatures rather than "tall" ones. Maybe Megalofolk are so grotesquely distorted that their second generation look as wide as they are tall? Or they just have short, stubby and grotesquely muscular arms. :p

Basically, I'd like something to justify third gen Megalofolk being a CR higher than 2nd gen. I suppose we could give 2nd gen standard +1 size reach, and 3rd gen +1 size reach with a 5 ft bonus, but I prefer the "stubby second gen" version.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Besides, 5 foot Reach isn't that exceptional for a Large creature. Plenty of Large creatures have it. Of course, most of them are "long" creatures rather than "tall" ones. Maybe Megalofolk are so grotesquely distorted that their second generation look as wide as they are tall? Or they just have short, stubby and grotesquely muscular arms. :p

Basically, I'd like something to justify third gen Megalofolk being a CR higher than 2nd gen. I suppose we could give 2nd gen standard +1 size reach, and 3rd gen +1 size reach with a 5 ft bonus, but I prefer the "stubby second gen" version.

I kinda like the reach bonus, perhaps it is from an infusion of "serpentine DNA"?

Remove ads