• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Cleon

Legend
Sample Greater Shadowrath Working Draft

Shadowrath, Greater (template)

Desc.

Flavor text.

Organization: Solitary or team (1-4 plus 2-12 lesser shadowraths) or cornet (2-10).
Challenge Rating: +2 for associated classes (primarily rely on stealth or fighting ability), +0 for nonassociated (primarily rely on spellcasting).
Treasure: Same as base creature.
Alignment: Always neutral evil.
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Abysskin Troglodyte Champion
Elite troglodyte 8th level fighter
Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 10d12+40 (105 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+5 Dex, +6 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+13
Attack: Battleaxe +15 melee (1d8+8/×3) or touch +14 touch (1d6 plus 1d4 Str plus energy drain) or claw +13 melee (1d4+4 plus energy drain) or javelin +14 ranged (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +15/+10 melee (1d8+6/×3) and claw +13 melee (1d4+2 plus energy drain) and bite +13 melee (1d4+2 plus energy drain); or battleaxe +15/+10 melee (1d8+6/×3) and touch +14 touch (1d6 plus 1d4 Str plus energy drain) and bite +13 melee (1d4+2 plus energy drain); or 2 claws +13 melee (1d4+4 plus energy drain) and bite +13 melee (1d4+2 plus energy drain); or javelin +14/+9 ranged (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Stench, energy drain
Special Qualities: Damage reduction10/good, darkvision 90 ft., mute, spell resistance 19, +2 turn resistance, unholy toughness
Saves: Fort +5, Ref -1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con --, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +14*, Intimidate +12, Listen +6, Move Silently +7
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Greater Weapon Focus (battleaxe), Improved Multiattack, Multiattack (B), Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Stand Still, Weapon Focus (battleaxe), Weapon Specialization (battleaxe)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or team (1-4 plus 2-12 lesser shadowraths) or cornet (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: 50% coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The greater shadowrath presented here is based on an 8th-level troglodyte fighter, using the following base ability scores: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 14.

COMBAT

Stench (Ex): When a troglodyte is angry or frightened, it secretes an oily, musk-like chemical that nearly every form of animal life finds offensive. All living creatures (except troglodytes) within 30 feet of a troglodyte must succeed on a DC 11 Fortitude save or be sickened for 10 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same troglodyte’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.

Skills: Shadowraths have a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. *Shadowraths have a +6 circumstance bonus on Hide checks when in shadowy areas

The skin of a troglodyte changes color somewhat, allowing it to blend in with its surroundings like a chameleon and providing a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In rocky or underground settings, this bonus improves to +8.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's probably because you type faster and have a history of not wanting to wait for Shade. ;)

Let's see. The battleaxe seems fine, but then let's change Weapon Focus over to that. Put those skill points into Intimidate use use that nice big Cha? (Why don't fighters have any perception skills as class skills????)

Cleon

Legend
It's probably because you type faster and have a history of not wanting to wait for Shade. ;)

I didn't get where I am today by waiting for Shade. :p

Let's see. The battleaxe seems fine, but then let's change Weapon Focus over to that.

I was tempted to keep the javelin WF and add WF and a bunch of other feats for the battleaxe, although guess we don't really need a +1 to hit with javelins.

Let's see... as a fighter 8th it can get Greater Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization, which leaves two fighter feats. Power Attack and Improved Sunder methinks.

I'm tempted to give it Improved Multiattack so it gets full use from its claws and teeth while full attacking with its axe. Combat Reflexes might be nice with its extremely high Dex.

That breaks down to:

Bonus Feat: Multiattack (B)

Fighter Feats: Greater Weapon Focus (battleaxe), Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (battleaxe), Weapon Specialization (battleaxe)

Other Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Multiattack plus one

Which leaves one more standard feat. Any preferences?

(Why don't fighters have any perception skills as class skills????)

Sure, it ought to be FRIGHTENING.

(Why don't fighters have any perception skills as class skills????)

Because Wizards of the Coast messed up, that's why. :heh:

freyar

Stand Still. It can use that to keep opponents nearby for full attacks including those draining claws....

freyar

I'll agree to the LA.

I guess for the advancement, the question is if the advancement line is metagame information explaining to the DM how to make a better one (in which case, character class makes sense) or if it is in-game meaning how an abysskin can improve even after gaining the template. Functionally, since it's a template, I think it works out the same either way.

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to the LA.

I guess for the advancement, the question is if the advancement line is metagame information explaining to the DM how to make a better one (in which case, character class makes sense) or if it is in-game meaning how an abysskin can improve even after gaining the template. Functionally, since it's a template, I think it works out the same either way.

Surely "how an abysskin can improve after gaining the template" is the relevant version, since a template is a set of changes to a character?

Remove ads