Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This is odd. I was about to say that lycanthropes change Con between forms, and it seems to me that the SRD template implies the hp should change between forms, too. But then the example stats look like they use the appropriate Con modifier for the base creature, then for the base animal separately, then add. But they don't seem to do it quite right for the hill giant, either. Wonky.

Well, leaving Con the same is ok. Str 14 in the humanoid form is fine. How about reducing Dex also?

Cleon

Legend
This is odd. I was about to say that lycanthropes change Con between forms, and it seems to me that the SRD template implies the hp should change between forms, too. But then the example stats look like they use the appropriate Con modifier for the base creature, then for the base animal separately, then add. But they don't seem to do it quite right for the hill giant, either. Wonky.

The SRD Hill Giant Wereboar seems to include a Toughness feat on its Hill Giant levels which isn't listed in its Feats.

If you include that +3 hp for toughness its Hit Dice and Hit Points add up.

Well, leaving Con the same is ok. Str 14 in the humanoid form is fine. How about reducing Dex also?

I'd rather keep it the same so the AC are equal in both forms, which seems to be the case for the original monster.

Besides, it keeps all the saves the same too.

freyar

That would seem to argue with keeping the Str the same in both forms. Are you happy with that, too?

Cleon

Legend
That would seem to argue with keeping the Str the same in both forms. Are you happy with that, too?

A change to strength mainly changes stats that would change anyway when it assumes Hyena form, like its grapple & attack modifiers (which change due to its size increase) or Jump (which'll change due to its Speed increase).

Also, I prefer it being stronger in its hulking hyena form.

freyar

As you like then. Were we thinking of Str 14 for the humanoid form? How about working out that friends ability now?

Cleon

Legend
As you like then. Were we thinking of Str 14 for the humanoid form? How about working out that friends ability now?

You suggested 12 or 14 and I favoured 14 or possibly 16, so we were both OK with 14.

I'll update the Hyenawere Working Draft with that.

Might as well fix that "Hyenawere, Wolf Form" while I'm at it! :blush:

As for the friends ability, if I remember the original spell properly it just gave a sizeable boost to Charisma. Something like 1d8.

The closest equivalent in 3E is eagle's splendor. I'm reluctant to give them that, since I'd rather just make it a "persuading victims" ability.

A simple enhancement bonus to Diplomacy checks would do most of it, or maybe a charm-like power?

That reminds me, I think it out to be susceptible to Bardic Countersong. Got to give the Bards some nods.

Hmm, how about we do something like the Krenshar's Scare ability - it can use this ability for ordinary Bluff and Diplomacy checks with a bonus on the roll, or it can focus it to create a charm effect as an SLA.

Like so:

Befriend (Ex of Su) Version One: A hyenawere in humanoid form has an uncannily charming personality. As a standard action, it can make a Diplomacy check change the attitudes of other creatures (without the -10 penalty for a rushed Diplomacy check). It has a [+5 racial or enhancement ?] bonus to other Diplomacy checks and Bluff checks.

By focusing its personality on a single creature, a hyenawere can convince that creature to become its friend. This works like a charm person spell from a 12th level caster (Will DC 14). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same hyenawere's befriend ability for 24 hours. This is a supernatural, sonic mind-affecting charm effect.

The befriend power does not affect other hyenaweres. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Hmm, although the original friends spell affects any creature, I think we should limit the Hyenawere's power to humanoids, since it says they prey on "gullible humans".

Befriend (Ex of Su) Version Two: A hyenawere in humanoid form has an uncannily charming personality. It can make a Diplomacy check to change the attitudes of humanoids as a standard action, without the -10 penalty for a rushed Diplomacy check. It has a [+5 racial or enhancement ?] bonus to other Diplomacy checks and Bluff checks.

By focusing its personality on a single humanoid, it can convince that creature to become its friend. This works like a charm person spell from a 12th level caster (Will DC 14). A humanoid that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same hyenawere's befriend ability for 24 hours. This is a supernatural, sonic mind-affecting charm effect.

The befriend power does not affect other hyenaweres. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I like Befriend Version Two the best.

Cleon

Legend
So what weapon are we giving the Hyenawere in its humanoid form?

I'm thinking we should restrict it to simple weapons, so maybe a Spear?

freyar

I seem to have read this, gotten dragged away from the computer, and then forgotten I needed to respond. Hrmph.

I think I also like Befriend v2.

I can agree to a spear of some type for the weapon, but we should definitely give them character class advancement, given that they use "weapons appropriate for [their] assumed identity."

Cleon

Legend
I seem to have read this, gotten dragged away from the computer, and then forgotten I needed to respond. Hrmph.

I think I also like Befriend v2.

I can agree to a spear of some type for the weapon, but we should definitely give them character class advancement, given that they use "weapons appropriate for [their] assumed identity."

Spear and befriend 2 it is then.

As for the advancement, I'd go for by HD or character class.

freyar

Sounds good.

DR 5 (just to remove that X from the draft)?

Immunity to enchantment looks fine.

Reading the original text suggests that we should add the "fear of flames" SQ we've done before (can you remember when we did that?).

Remove ads