Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good.

DR 5 (just to remove that X from the draft)?

Immunity to enchantment looks fine.

I'll update the Hyenawere Working Draft then.

Racial or enhancement for the Befriend's Diplomacy bonus? I was leaning slightly towards racial but it's based on a Krenshar's Scare ability which doesn't give its Bluff bonus a type, so how about making it typeless?

As for the damage reduction, I was thinking 10/cold iron since (a) our Enworld Wolfwere conversion has DR 10 and it's a "cousin Antherion", and (b) it seems pretty close to a "natural" lycanthrope.

Hmm, what DR do Jackalweres get in 3E again? I'll look it up...

Reading the original text suggests that we should add the "fear of flames" SQ we've done before (can you remember when we did that?).

I believe I mentioned that already, and proposed we give 'em the Malatran Mold Man version:

Fear of Flames (Ex): A plantfolk that suffers fire damage from an attack must succeed on a Will save (DC = 10 for nonmagical fire, DC of spell or supernatural attack for magical fire) or become panicked for 1d6 rounds.

Cleon

Legend
According to Echohawk's index Jackalweres are in the 3.0 Fiend Folio, so I'll have to dig that out and see what it says...

Well the Jackalwere has DR 15/+1 in the Fiend Folio, but in the official WotC 3.5 update for the Fiend Folio it has DR 5/cold iron.

So, I guess DR 5/cold iron's fine for the Hyenawere.

Upon reflection, the "Werehyena" is a pretty nice fit as a Hyenawere, the other Antherions also have DR/cold iron and mind-affecting attacks - lethargy song for the Wolfwere and sleep gaze for the Jackalwere.

Cleon

Legend
DR 5 is the "standard" value for the likely CR, so I like that.

And, yes, that Fear of Flames works.

Updating the Hyenawere Working Draft.

Dammit, when Enworld went wonky yesterday it lost my last update to the Working Draft. I'd added the Spear, Befriend and some other stuff.

Have to replace it now.

I don't think we decided on the Befriend bonus type. My latest suggestion was typeless, like a Krenshar's Bluff bonus from Scare.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
A typeless skill bonus is ok if you prefer, but I like racial a bit better.

Skills and feats? Disguise, maybe Bluff, probably the old standbys Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot all make sense. So perhaps 3 ranks in each of those?

Cleon

Legend
A typeless skill bonus is ok if you prefer, but I like racial a bit better.

Skills and feats? Disguise, maybe Bluff, probably the old standbys Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot all make sense. So perhaps 3 ranks in each of those?

Hmm, surely it gets +10 to Disguise from its Alternate Form? That suggest we don't need much in Disguise.

How about Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Listen, Move Silently and Spot instead?

It's got 24 skill ranks, so I'd put 5 ranks in Bluff to give it the synergy bonus to Diplomacy, Disguise (act in character) and Intimidate, which leaves 19 for the other five skills. Three ranks apiece leaves 4 so I'd stick 1 in each apart from Spot, as the SRD Hyena has a higher Listen than Spot.

Thus:

Skills No 1: Bluff 5, Diplomacy 4, Disguise 0, Hide 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Spot 3.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind a few points in Disguise, so how about trimming Hide, Move Silently and Spot by 1 apiece and putting it in Disguise? That'll also give it the same Listen +6 and Spot +4 skills as the SRD Hyena.

Skills No 2: Bluff 5, Diplomacy 4, Disguise 3, Hide 3, Listen 4, Move Silently 3, Spot 2.

freyar

I like skill set number 2 a bit better. As for Alternate Form, shouldn't there at least be 1 line about it in the combat section?

freyar

Sure, that alternate form is fine. The only change I'd make is to drop the "(its natural form)" bit. The original calls them "humans" that "transform themselves into hyenalike forms." And lycanthropes don't have one natural form or the other.

Remove ads