• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Which Non-Realmsian Setting Would You Like Next?

• Birthright

Votes: 126 13.5%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 34 3.6%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 189 20.2%
  • Dragon Fist

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 143 15.3%
  • Eberron

Votes: 226 24.2%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 298 31.9%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 27 2.9%
  • Lankhmar

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Mystara

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 61 6.5%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 227 24.3%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 171 18.3%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 134 14.3%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 15 1.6%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • The Hysterical "What?!!?one! I can't believe you forgot XXXXXX!" option

Votes: 37 4.0%

Thyrwyn

Explorer
...My first pick, had it been mentioned, would have been M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne). There is a new Tekumel game out (Bethorm) but I'd love to see it back in a D&Dish form... incredible cultural detail, positively Byzantine politics, very alien setting (and very alien nonhumans), advanced technology... what's not to love.
Tekumel was wonderful. I'd forgotten about it entirely. Beautiful setting, very different, too!

Pauln6

Hero
I'd be happy if they just carried on with what Paizo were doing and set modules in our favourite realms with notes on how to convert them to other realms. But my first love is Greyhawk with a twinge of nostalgia for Dragonlance.

Derren

Hero
Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, Rokugan (Al'Quadim too if it were on the list).
FR already covers "generic romantic late medieval tolkien inspired fantasy" quite will, so we do not need a slightly different "generic romantic late medieval tolkien inspired fantasy" like Greyhawk.

I left out Spelljammer because that is too silly for me.

nerfherder

Explorer
And a major Pelinore release almost would be like releasing a brand new setting. It's not as well known. I'd never heard of it it until I read about it on The Piazza a few years ago.

I ran a campaign when I was about 16-17 that started off as AD&D, then got house-ruled, then finally moved to RuneQuest 3. One of my current players was in that campaign, so I'm hoping he'll get a kick out of revisiting it.

Birthright, Dragonlance and Greyhawk would be the ones I'd like to see, although I wouldn't begrudge Dark Sun or Planescape either.

I'd like the Birthright book to not just be a setting guide, but to also have update to the rules in the Birthright boxed set, so I could play a game where each PC controlled their own kingdom.

Stormonu

Legend
I'd like to see them take another stab at Birthright - seems like this would be the team that could do a good job setting up a system for kingdom management.

I'm also fond of many of the old favorites - Dragonlance (War of the Lance era), Greyhawk, Mystara, Dark Sun, Spelljammer (specifically Astronomi Cluster), possibly Planescape (pre Faction War).

I would love to see Al-Qadim come back with dwarves, hobbits and elves tossed out and more appropriate races - genasi and/or jinn would be cool. A playable ghul or yak-"folk" race would be interesting.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm not really very familiar with Greyhawk (so apologies if I'm way off the mark here!) but I get the impression that it wouldn't really be different enough from Forgotten Realms for it to make any sense releasing it as a separate setting. Something like Dark sun or Eberron seem a lot more distinctive...

The Greyhawk setting doesn't need a lot of rules changes, no... but it does look like it could a bunch of setting-linked backgrounds. It could use a few more of the setting specific subraces.

Really, what it needs is a gazeteer, not so much a rules-book.

Thing is, for Greyhawk, FR, and Mystara, 99% of characters would be in the PHB classes.

The subraces could be tweaked somewhat to the various settings (such as explaining what the hell a Gold Dwarf is in game terms in the FR setting).

And while Mystara is most noted for its immortals... it's also the setting where Orcs, Goblins, hobgoblins, sprites, brownies, sphinx, centaurs, satyrs, skynomes, lycanthropes, and merfolk are all available as PC races. Amongst many others. Also, PC's could gain levels in overland merchant and merchant-prince...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads