• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Which Non-Realmsian Setting Would You Like Next?

• Birthright

Votes: 126 13.5%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 34 3.6%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 189 20.2%
  • Dragon Fist

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 143 15.3%
  • Eberron

Votes: 226 24.2%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 298 31.9%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 27 2.9%
  • Lankhmar

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Mystara

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 61 6.5%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 227 24.3%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 171 18.3%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 134 14.3%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 15 1.6%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • The Hysterical "What?!!?one! I can't believe you forgot XXXXXX!" option

Votes: 37 4.0%

Nellisir

Hero
Its not a need. Its more that if you didn't like the setting as it was presented without playing it, then PS:T does a very good job of putting that setting into play. I honestly feel is the best way to highlight the best parts of Planescape without running a game of my own for them. Plus, you can get it for like $5 on gog.com and its a fantastic CRPG regardless.

Saying PS:T is the best adventure for PS is a better way of putting it than saying one can't really grok PS without playing PS:T.

:)

ranger69

Explorer
I voted other for Hollow World. To me it's a different flavour to Mystara.
I would like to see a new setting, perhaps inspired by the Three Musketeers, but not set in this worlds history. It would also easily cover pirates.

JeffB

Legend
Wizards has no rights to the Wilderlands, and never did. Nor did TSR. why would it be liisted as an option ?

It was approved for use with D&D but was never an official setting , nor IP.

JeffB

Legend
Just wondering.

If it's a throw anything in poll, then I will pick Metamorphosis Alpha, and the Frontiers of Allusia.

Evhelm

Explorer
I threw my meager votes behind a few. Starting with my least hoped for and leading on:

Birthright. Had never seen a darn thing about it until I stumbled onto Harbinger of Doom's blog entry about it. In reality, I'd probably never run a campaign in Birthright, but the idea of it (every PC is superior/special) is enchanting.

Dragonlance. Never played in it, never read a novel set in it, but have tangentially touched Dragonlance ideas, writers, and ideas. Seems like a classy setting and I'd enjoy an excuse to get to know it better.

Dark Sun. Sounds like a blast; never played in it, but have read enough to know that I have a batch of players who'd be freaked out and loving it. I don't think they would have before, and I certainly wouldn't have, but I'm excited by the prospect.

Eberron. This is the crowning achievement of D&D in the last twenty years--maybe longer. I didn't play it in 4e because (for whatever reason) it didn't feel right, and my friends who I had played 3.X Eberron with were all long distant by the time I realized it would be okay to play 3.X again. In the same way that Birthright makes PCs special, Eberron encouraged a genuine campaign-building dialogue with my players (Who wants a dragonmark? How can we make its expression a story worth telling? What secrets do the other PCs who are not dragonmarked have?). And like Dragonlance, Eberron was/is classy. Each race, class, and organization is familiar enough to not incite panic, but different enough from the norm to be exotic, enticing, and ultimately exciting! Hands down the best long-term campaign I ever ran (I think I've run around a dozen long-term?) was in Eberron. When that campaign wound down and came to a close, it was because in RL the group was moving away to all kinds of crazy places; those players can still remember their characters, favorite moments, etc. and ask about running another Eberron campaign. Wildest part is, that was also my only campaign I ever ran in Eberron.

I would be thrilled with a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, but I would probably geek out even more if it was Eberron.

Having said all that, I completely appreciate where the Greyhawk brigade of fans is coming from. I feel like I missed that bandwagon by about a month (no exaggeration). If I had starting playing D&D one month earlier, I'd probably be a Greyhawk groupie. So yeah, more power to you, Greyhawk fans. I hope we all get some love from the powers that be!

I think Greyhawk is likely, and that's not a bad thing. I've always run my own setting, but I played in Greyhawk and enjoyed it. I voted for Blackmoor though. Arneson's setting had traditional fantasy going for it but could be wonderfully peculiar. My first pick, had it been mentioned, would have been M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne). There is a new Tekumel game out (Bethorm) but I'd love to see it back in a D&Dish form... incredible cultural detail, positively Byzantine politics, very alien setting (and very alien nonhumans), advanced technology... what's not to love.

Remove ads