• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Which Non-Realmsian Setting Would You Like Next?

• Birthright

Votes: 126 13.5%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 34 3.6%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 189 20.2%
  • Dragon Fist

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 143 15.3%
  • Eberron

Votes: 226 24.2%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 298 31.9%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 27 2.9%
  • Lankhmar

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Mystara

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 61 6.5%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 227 24.3%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 171 18.3%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 134 14.3%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 15 1.6%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 29 3.1%
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Votes: 47 5.0%
  • The Hysterical "What?!!?one! I can't believe you forgot XXXXXX!" option

Votes: 37 4.0%

Nellisir

Hero
The thing about Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Mystara, and Birthright is that while they are all variations on medieval Europe, so is nearly every campaign I've ever run or been in. I like variations on a popular theme. I do not like "Forgotten Realms is all you need for medieval D&D".

YES

• Birthright - It'd be cool to see Birthright again, with a few of the rough edges filed off.
  • Mystara - I'd like to see a complete reboot of Mystara, smoothing things together a bit. I know that's not going to happen, but having Ylaruam next to the Viking lands still bothers me (and yes, I realize that's the proud nail of the setting...really, ditch Ylaruam and it would be cool.)
  • Greyhawk - The suggestion above that Greyhawk needs a setting book more than a rule book is probably spot on, although it would also work as a vehicle for more traditional/iconic rules/monsters/spells/sub-classes
  • Kara-Tur - As stated, I'd REALLY like to see this divorced from the Forgotten Realms. In the years since the original came out, I've married a woman from Thailand (and been there four times), and watched a lot more Asian cinema, particularly Korean (thank you Netflix.)
  • Mahasarpha - I overlooked this one. India is something that WotC/TSR has never done in any seriousness, and would be AMAZING. Definite yes.
  • Ravenloft - I like for the micro-settings. DMG has horror rules already. I'd be OK with this.
  • Jakandor - was pretty cool.
  • Lankhmar - This would be very cool.

MAYBE

• Dark Sun - Honestly, for Dark Sun I'm happy with the old setting stuff. I'm not that keen on DMing a game there, though I understand other people are.
  • Planescape - File this under Dark Sun; I get that a lot of people like it, but it's not high on my list.
  • Dragon Fist - Never got a proper setting that I know of. Could be interesting.
  • Dragonlance/Eberron - Traditional, dependable choices. Both are very setting-specific, however; that's a turn-off.
  • Nentir Vale - Having skipped most of 4e, I don't know much about this except that it's also pretty medieval Europe straight-up D&D.
  • Thunder Rift - pretty medieval Europe straight-up D&D.

PROBABLY NOT

• Pelinore - I don't recognize this one....
  • Rokugan - Too tied to Lot5R.
  • Al-Qadim - Personally, I liked the rules, but the setting was "meh". More or less the opposite of the Greyhawk scenario.
  • Council of Wyrms - An interesting choice, but very specific.
  • Ghostwalk - Feels like a setting created to take advantage of a small rules module. Doesn't need a whole book, just a few pages in DMG2 or something.
  • Spelljammer - Not something I'd play, but OK to have rules for.
[/LIST]

Last edited:

Pelinore was published in Imagine magazine, with descriptions of people and locales within The City League, each location offering ideas for scenarios and plots. The wider world was described but the majority focus was on the city itself, the institutions therein, and NPCs who could help/hinder the characters. It featured rather lovely maps and side elevations and a nice home base setting. You could lift The City League and place it as your version of Specularum or Waterdeep or whatever. I thought it was a great little setting - which for those hoping for a new setting, it more or less would be!
The files can be accessed here from a fan's collection/labour of love but there may be more complete versions elsewhere for those with accounts at download sites: http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2008/12/22/pelinore.php

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We've got "standard" High Fantasy (not using the term as exactly in the DMG but close) as a default, with some FR links. I'm specifically not looking for "the same thing, but with different names". That is part of the draw of Eberron, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer and the like. I'd like some significantly different, so it's got it's own set of backgrounds (not just additions to the default list). Equipment reskin names.

I heard a while ago that a good set of rules will not get in the way of the fiction of your setting, and a great set of rules will actively support it. I'm looking for the later - where new rules need to come into play in order to really bring home the differences.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
As much as I would like to see Greyhawk as a 5e book, I can easily use the prior edition books for it (break out the old living gazetteer!) You could easily buy the 1st edition GH box set from DND classics and run it.

I would agree with the something different & new sentiment. Spelljammer (post Cap'n Lemmiwinks pilgrimage of remaining hamsters from known space) or Dark Sun for a different feeling campaign world. Scarred Lands was one of the fave so I'd support that being redone.

Otherwise, I would rather see rule books for particular game types of themes (sword & sorcery, historical, steampunk, etc.) with rule tweaks particular to each world. In such books you can throw in suggestions of established worlds (like the core books did). Adventures could even have side notes on how to adapt to each type of setting, allowing for them to be written more generically.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
The thing about Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Mystara, and Birthright is that while they are all variations on medieval Europe, so is nearly every campaign I've ever run or been in. I like variations on a popular theme. I do not like "Forgotten Realms is all you need for medieval D&D".

You're sorely mistaken about Mystara.

Darrokin is Italy, sure... but not medieval. Glantri isn't eropean nor medieval, either. Thar's badlands certainly aren't. Minrothad isn't either - it's more Ancient Crete with Medieval Tech. Atruhuagani are Plains Amerind. Alfheim's pretty well ripped off Tolkien.

Alphatia and Thyatis are essentially Grego-Roman - pre-medieval. What might have happened if (1) their deities showed the same level of interference as the Immortals of Mystara do and (2) they didn't get over run by the Thracians and the Vandals, respectively.

It's got more borrows than are sensible. Unlike the realms, where broad areas share similar cultures, Mystara has smaller regions, each with a very different culture. The only thing medieval european is the general tech level and two of the empires' governments. And one of those really isn't the feudal medieval most people think of, but the renaissance Italian city-states model... applied to an empire, instead of a city.

Cross from the Republic of Darrokin into the 5 Shires, and you're into something neither Tolkien's shire, nor Lucas Nelwyn, but easily just as vibrant.

Or go the other way into Alfheim, and it's a pretty close pastiche on Tolkien's elves. And yet, it's not too close.

Thar's Badlands are infested with more evil races than Mordor. Except that, where Tolkien had them organized by Humans, Mystara has them organized by one of their own.

The gods of Mystara actively protect their favorites, justifying the crazy quilt of alienness; it's patchwork nature is only exceeded by the Domains of Dread.

Nellisir

Hero
You're sorely mistaken about Mystara.
Darrokin is Italy, sure... but not medieval. Glantri isn't eropean nor medieval, either. Thar's badlands certainly aren't. Minrothad isn't either - it's more Ancient Crete with Medieval Tech. Atruhuagani are Plains Amerind. Alfheim's pretty well ripped off Tolkien.
Alphatia and Thyatis are essentially Grego-Roman - pre-medieval. What might have happened if (1) their deities showed the same level of interference as the Immortals of Mystara do and (2) they didn't get over run by the Thracians and the Vandals, respectively.
And yet it almost all still reads as early Renaissance Europe once you zoom out a little.

I don't know if you got this, but I was actually arguing FOR Mystara. Are you trying to get me to change my mind?

Last edited:

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I don't quite understand why Greyhawk is so popularly desired by so many but that could be because the setting is just before my time in D&D. I haven't seen all that much about it but it just seems so generic that it even makes the Forgotten Realms look unique. But I'd love to be schooled on why this setting is so great because there is probably a lot about it that I don't know about and I'm hoping that somebody will change my perspective on this setting.

The Grand User

Explorer
I voted for council of wyrms. Less so for the setting itself as for the rules for playing dragons. Most of the popular settings I expect will be made eventually, and I generally prefer custom or lighter/vaguer settings, so felt no need to vote for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads