• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which 16 array would you recomend

Garmorn

Explorer
I am in the process of starting a new campaign with and getting a new group together. I would like to limit the starting stats to one of the max 16 arrays or the 4d6 system.

I would like feed back on which (if not) I should use. My reasoning is this: First I don't know the new players and I am new to 4e. I want to keep the optimization of characters down where both experienced and newbie to the edition are about equal par. Second since I am new to the system I plan to use a lot more easy and standard the hard and no hard encounters by the DDI's encounter maker. (to help prevent accidental TPK).

While I don't mind killing players, I want there to be in game reason for the fight to go badly or something the players can see such as simply the players rolling badly or making a bad choice.

Any other comments on character creation for a DM new to 4e would be helpful. I have DM other systems for ~30 years so I have those types of basics down. PS. I am getting the DM and MM for x-mass so don't have the books yet.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I don't think you have to worry too much about TPK due to inexperience. 4e is quite easy to learn and is VERY forgiving as a DM when it comes to encounter setup. I would recommend going easy at level 1. Survivability increases a lot at level 2+ due to how 4e scales.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I just love how you can through lots of tough opponents against a 4e party and just see them roll with the punches. One important reason for this is the increased (in rounds) length of fights. A typical 4e fight lasts for 5 rounds, a typical 3e fight lasts for 2 rounds.

If you have a fight that goes badly for the PC's, they have probably atleast killed one monster, if not several, and either the PC's or the monsters can retreat without it being too awkward. - The fight is probably going even worse for the monsters than the PC's! ;)

Dan'L

First Post
If you want to limit stat choice to one array with max 16, you could just go with the "standard" array: 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10.

HOWEVER, I've found that when doing point buy and trying to tweak a class I'll often end up going with: 16, 14, 14, 13, 10, 8. I find that this allows to balance out the different defenses, as well as offering more opportunities for meeting feat pre-reqs, without overpowering the build.

If you're really concerned about overpowered point buy builds, though, you might consider allowing point buy, but just not allow buying any scores over 16. This should keep the experienced/inexperienced players from having too much swing in PC power, but allow for players room to tweak things around to best fit their particular character concepts.

I'd really recommend against the 4d6 method if you're worried about keeping the PCs on par with each other. It's too easy to end up with a very unevenly powered group.

-Dan'L

boar

First Post
I would recommend giving the PC's a choice between 16-16-X-Y-10-8 or 16-14-14-13-10-8, where X and Y are either 12-12 or 13-11. Some classes really need that second 16 for the purposes of AC (e.g. Warlock) or a really crucial secondary stat (e.g. Warlord), while others don't. If you limit your players to just one array, you'll put players of certain classes at an arbitrary disadvantage, which goes against your goal of party balance.

Besides, having some kind of choice always makes character creation feel more fun, even if you're going to cap the main stat.

If you absolutely must pick one array, do 16-16-X-Y-10-8. This screws over the fewest classes.

Garmorn

Explorer
Thanks for the information. This is the type of thing that is different from before. I knew what 3ed, or earlier editions needed, but not this time.

Heck most of my understanding of the rules have come from this board.:D

the Jester

Legend
I strongly prefer (and recommend!) rolling for stats; otherwise, nobody ever has a low stat.

Whether this is good or bad is a matter of taste, but I'll tell ya, I vastly prefer the chaos of rolling. I hate cherry picking stats. :mad:

But it's a matter of playstyle preference.

Mengu

First Post
I would recommend giving the PC's a choice between 16-16-X-Y-10-8 or 16-14-14-13-10-8, where X and Y are either 12-12 or 13-11.

I second this. Give them the 3 options, let them choose.

Beware though, this will generate more stereotypes, and fewer unique choices. You might see an elf ranger, dragonborn fighter, and goliath barbarian. But you probably won't see an elf paladin, dragonborn swordmage, and goliath bard.

Leaving the door open for races who don't get a +2 to their primary stat, to use an 18/14/11 or 18/13/13 array would probably be more interesting. So your rules would be: If playing a race that gets +2 to a primary stat, use one of the 16-stat arrays. Otherwise you may also choose one of the 18-stat arrays. This ensures no one will have a 20 starting array, which I'm guessing is what you're trying to avoid.

Remove ads