Paizo Which APs have you run? What did you think?

Oh. That's weird. PF2 and 5E have totally different skill systems and typical DCs. Why would I buy it if I had to convert on the fly all the time?
Good question! Publishing a separate bestiary seemed like an odd move to me, but I guess I don’t know what’s in the 2e AP. If it references the existing 2e bestiaries for stat blocks then maybe a full 5e conversion for the AP is still on the way? I didn’t see one up for preorder, maybe I missed it? There’s definitely an Abomination Vaults 5e book up for preorder.

Edit: It sounds like the bestiary has guidance for NPCs and traps, but no info on skill DCs. There’s a post here discussing.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Good question! Publishing a separate bestiary seemed like an odd move to me, but I guess I don’t know what’s in the 2e AP. If it references the existing 2e bestiaries for stat blocks then maybe a full 5e conversion for the AP is still on the way? I didn’t see one up for preorder, maybe I missed it? There’s definitely an Abomination Vaults 5e book up for preorder.
Converting the unique to PF and the AP monsters, NPCs, and companions would probably be the most complex work in converting the AP overall. So they basically removed that hurdle as part of their crowdfund project. They never set out to convert the whole thing - just make it a bit easier for the cross-game interest.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I made my comments intentionally vague, but if you want more detailed discussions on any of the APs, let me know.

Converting the unique to PF and the AP monsters, NPCs, and companions would probably be the most complex work in converting the AP overall. So they basically removed that hurdle as part of their crowdfund project. They never set out to convert the whole thing - just make it a bit easier for the cross-game interest.
That makes sense. Making up DCs for skill checks on the fly is a pretty common thing (regardless of which system you're running), so as long as you have guidance on how a trap works or the stats for a monster, the rest is probably pretty manageable.

Voadam

Legend
That makes sense. Making up DCs for skill checks on the fly is a pretty common thing (regardless of which system you're running), so as long as you have guidance on how a trap works or the stats for a monster, the rest is probably pretty manageable.
I am running my second Pathfinder 1e to 5e AP conversion and skill DCs are the easiest thing to not sweat and do on the fly for easy medium hard difficulties.

Finding monsters of approximately the appropriate challenge that fit thematically, particularly for converting classed NPCs is generally the biggest amount of work.

Rise Runelords. Was ok, got to mod 4.

Kingmaker. Awesome sauce ran to completion, the PCs lost.

Ironfang. Very good. Ran to completion.

Jade Regent. Very good. Mod 3 tad dull. Played to the end. Ran it to the end.

Legacy Fire. Very good ( I like deserts n genies). Played to the end.

Have partially played or run 4 or 5 others to varying degrees.

Summary.
Mod 3 nearly always very weak.
Mod 6 often one big dungeon which is a tad poor sauce.
Six different authors give often disjointed story.
Needing 6 adventures gets a lot of filler.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I primarily run homebrew adventures and campaigns and I create 3PP content, so I usually don't play first party APs.

I only ran Jade Regent, because I actually created the city of Kasai map and co-wrote the gazetteer for it, but while I'd been anxious to play in Golarion's far east, that only occurred in the final module. Most of it was a travelogue traveling overland across half the world. While parts were fun, large sections were slow and tedious, which the party almost gave up on twice, but I managed to create enough interest to continue.

I've wanted to run other APs, but once I get involved with one of my publishing projects, that project takes over, and I need playtesting for that project, so any games I run are using that project, rather than somebody else's AP. Just my circumstance.

Remove ads