Paizo Which APs have you run? What did you think?

Paizo general thread so share which adventure paths you’ve played in and what did you think! Any in particular you’d recommend?

I’m pretty new to Paizo material in general so short list for me. I’m currently GMing a PF2e campaign that started in the Beginner Box and progressed to the Abomination Vaults. It’s been a good learning experience for the system and we’ve had fun with the story. It probably helps that I have players that like interacting with everything and so they've been steadily drip fed information about the dungeon's history and the interactions between the different factions they've encountered so far. Overall I'd recommend it for people new to PF2e, especially if you use the information about Otari to flesh out the Beginner Box adventure a bit so it's a little less bare bones.

Since the AP ends around level 11, I’m planning on running Stolen Fate as a follow up to get the group to 20. The hook sounded fun and it starts off in Absalom which isn’t far from Otari so it seems like the logical next step.

Retreater

Legend
Here's a list of my history with Paizo APs...

1) Shackled City (3.x era, originally Dungeon Magazine). I ran part of the hardcover collection. I think we got to book 3 before it ended in enough character deaths and general malaise. ("Why are we even doing this? If the town is stupid enough to build inside a volcano, we're just going to leave.")
2) Rise of the Runelords (hardcover edition, PF1). I ran part of the first adventure at the local game store. It ended when the group "noped" out of the dungeon. ("That bridge looks too dangerous. Forget this! We're going back to town.")
3) Council of Thieves (PF1). I was a player in this one. I was a Charismatic bard who was very involved in the plot. I think it was midway through Book 2 when my character died to save a pretty bland PC in our party who had little connection or care for the campaign. That was the death knell. The campaign ended. The GM couldn't get it back together.
4) Kingmaker (PF1). I ran this for the first three books. It went really well for a time, but the higher level play was slowing us down.
5) Mummy's Mask and Shattered Star (PF1). Ran part of the first adventures for both of these. Both games fizzled quickly for real life issues.
6) Age of Ashes (PF2). I ran the first two books. We gave up after running into an average of a TPK every other session.
7) Extinction Curse (PF2). I ran the first book. We didn't even get out of Chapter 2 before a TPK caused the group to never want to play Pathfinder again.
8) Abomination Vaults (PF2). I ran to the 4th level of the first book. We got to one challenging encounter where the group just gave up, not wanting to keep fighting tough fights that really didn't mean anything, go back to town, recover, then do another fight. It felt repetitive and boring to them.
9) Quest for the Frozen Flame (PF2). We played through the first two books. We were getting tired of the theme and decided to end it there at a nice climax instead of the third book, which was going to be a departure and felt very disconnected from everything else.
10) Kingmaker (PF2). I'm currently running this, and we're all loving it. We're only in book 1, but we've had a lot of good variety already. I recommend this one higher than any of the others listed.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
  • Shackled City. Some interesting ideas and set pieces, but overall cumbersome. It's for 6 players.
  • Age of Worms. My favourite. Really epic in scope, with many, many memorable characters and situations. A love letter to D&D tradition. Deadly. You have to experience this.
  • Savage Tide. Pirates + Dinosaurs + Demons. Of all the adventures I have ever played, this gave me the sensation to be in an adventure movie. Also very, very deadly. Again, you have to experience this.
  • Rise of the Runelords. Some interesting set pieces, but I didn't like the horror elements sprinkled into the story; and some dungeons were boring. Overall I rate it above average.
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne. The first part is a fantastic city adventure, with memorable NPCs and set pieces. One of the best APs.
  • Kingmaker. Hexcrawl + Kingdom Building, done well. Very fun. Another highly regarded AP.
  • Reign of Winter. This epic, over-the-top journey has the feeling of a Russian fairytale. This is my third favourite after Age of Worms and Savage Tide.
  • Skulls & Shackled. Pirates! Very good.
  • Shattered Star. Find seven pieces of an ancient Artifact. Lots of Dungeons, lots of Golems. Very good.
  • Strange Aeons. D&D + Chtulhu, done well. One of the strangest D&D experiences I had. Very good.
  • Legacy of Fire; Jade Regent; Serpent's Skull; Mummy's Mask; Cartoon Crown; all these APs offer good experiences, but are somehow less impressive overall.
  • Iron Gods: I tried it but the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks vibe really is not my cup of tea.
  • Wrath of the Righteous: the worst of all. The Mythic Rules break the game, in a very bad way. Besides, the AP presents some bad taste situations, IMO. Avoid it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
  • Shackled City - 3.5 edition, DM, played with 3 players for much of it (2 PCs each, a primary and a secondary). Completed but I edited down the last bits.
  • Council of Thieves - PF1, DM, 4 players (all short - 2 halflings, a gnome, and a dwarf). Played to completion - performing the play in Chapter 2 was particularly awesome.
  • Skull and Shackles - PF1, Player, 4 players. Played to completion and I became the Storm King. Lots of fun.
  • Wrath of the Righteous - PF1 + Mythic, DM, 5 players. Played to completion - level 20, mythic 10. Exhausting but the Paladin and Ranger players sure could lay the smackdown.
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne - PF1, DM, 5 players. Derailed by pandemic at midpoint.
  • Age of Worms - 5e, DM, 11 players. Ongoing currently in Chapter 8 - The Prince of Redhand.

Since the pandemic, we've been playing non-Pathfinder games. 5e has kind of eclipsed my desire to play PF1 and I'm not particularly fond of PF2.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
PF1:
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne - I was a player in a campaign that made it through first two modules. GM was very odd, and took some interesting liberties with the material. I bought the first module to check it out myself and was very surprised. I'd run this myself again, especially since they hardcovered it. Would recommend.
  • Kingmaker - Was a player to completion. Had a blast, view this AP very favorably. Would run again in PF1, 5E, or PF2.
  • Carrion Crown - I was GM ran to completion. I loved the first two modules of the AP. The middle sort of lags a bit and I took some liberties to spice it up. I did a significant rewrite of book 5 The vampire one to play out like Yojimbo. I would highly recommend taking book 4 out and running it back to back with Carrion Hill for a fun higher level Cthulhu adventure. Some really cool ideas are made available for taking the AP higher than level 15. Would recommend, but do your homework.
  • Serpent Skull - Was a player up until midway point. GM flamed out on PF1 system and adventure had major writing issues. I would not run this AP, however, I would easily rn the first module as a starting adventure for a campaign in 3E/PF1/PF2/5E. James Jacobs knocks it out of the park and being low level would make it easy to convert.
  • Jade Regent - Made it half way through and GM flamed out due to system fatigue. I enjoyed playing this, was not knocked out by the caravan rules or the fact its sold as a TianXi adventure that doesn't start until the halfway mark. Would recommend to those very interested in Tian-Xi, not to anyone else.
  • Mummy Mask - Ran as GM to completion. Very fun beginning adventures, very sandboxy. Egyptian Indiana Jones feel. Would recommend.
  • Iron Gods - Ran to completion. This adventure is a blast if you want to dip your fantasy into some sci-fi. Would recommend.
  • War for the Crown - Currently playing and about to end module 2. This is an excellent adventure for those who like political intrigue and role play. You get to learn much about Taldor from the Golarion setting. I'm looking forward to trying to run this myself when im done playing. Would recommend for folks who want heavy roleplay emphasis and politics.

PF2:
  • Abomination Vaults - Meh. Part of the issue was learning PF2 (good system, but taste thing for me). The other part is this is pretty bland for my taste in gaming material these days. Megadungeon shuffle from town and back rinse repeat. Would recommend only to those who think APs got too much readin and not enough maps and fightin.

Voadam

Legend
As a DM I am currently running my 3rd, all from the Pathfinder 1e era.

Reign of Winter - ran in Pathfinder 1e, Great Baba Yaga, White Witch Narnia, brutal fairy tale one. Had a blast until the party TPKd in part 3. Part 4 didn't grip me as hard but I was really looking forward to part 5 (Rasputin Must Die).

Carrion Crown - converted to 5e using a lot of suggestions on tying the story together better and using two of the Legendary Games support modules. Ended with part II due to covid lockdown. Great fun and theme, I second working in Carrion Hill to go with the fourth. Parts V and VI seemed more eh and less gothic horror, but 1-4 are very rich thematically to work with and 1-3 could be a whole complete campaign story in itself with a satisfying climax. Great but benefits hugely from using suggestions on the paizo forum threads and/or the unofficial 5e conversion books.

Iron Gods, - converted to 5e, currently running and in module 3. The sci-fi D&D mix is good and having module 2 be the Mad Max Thunderdome module is fantastic. The overview story path looks good all the way through.

I have played in:

3.5:
Shackled City
Age of Worms
Savage Tide

Rise of the Runelords
Second Darkness
Curse of the Crimson Throne

Pathfinder 1e
Wrath of the Righteous

I had a blast in all of them. Particularly Wrath of the Righteous playing an overpowered wizard warrior who punches demons in the face.

GreyLord

Legend
Do you want PF2e or can PF1e APs be included.

For PF2e I've only run

Abomination Vaults (this is pretty good and pretty decent. It can tie into the BB adventure as well as another adventure that they put). You probably already know all about this AP as you are already running it.

I've read the first part of Age of Ashes but not sure it's what I would suggest. Fall of Plaguestone is an adventure. It's okay, but not stellar.

That about covers my experience with written PF2e APs thus far.

With PF1e (which is a DIFFERENT system than PF2e. A VERY mobile minded GM MIGHT be able to adapt them, but it's requires some very large adaptations at some points.

Rise of the Runelords - Technically D&D 3.5 but I ran it with PF1e with a few modifications. This one actually starts the entire world off with a Bang. It's well known and well remembered for good reason. It's a great AP and a fun one to run.

Curse of the Crimson Throne - Also a great AP and also for D&D 3.5. I ran this one as well and had a blast with it. Not as great a climax (for me) as the first AP, but still great in it's own right.

Kingmaker - A PF1e AP. It's the AP that I consider the first great PF1e AP (and yes, I ran Council of Thieves...if that tells you anything). This takes the ideas of the OLD D&D games where you get land and develop and rule it. Great AP, one of the greatest and best. It has a 2e version out now so if you can, run this one.

Reign of Winter - I don't have a ton of memories with this one, and the part that EVERYONE seems to love...I don't. However, this is and was particularly popular with many players, so it's one to keep in mind, especially if you like planet and time hopping.

Wrath of the Righteous - This is a fun AP, but I would highly suggest running it with the Mythic rules if you have them. This means more money to buy that book, or makes it much harder to adapt if running it with PF2e. In that light, though a decent AP, perhaps not the best to run with PF2e.

Iron Gods - I haven't actually run this one, but it has a great reputation from the Players that I have heard from.

Strange Aeons - I like this one, but it isn't for everyone. It's more of a lovecraft lovesong in some ways, so if that isn't your cup of tea...probably not for you.

So, I've run more APs than what I wrote here, but these are the ones I'd suggest first to someone looking to run APs out of all the ones that have come out for Pathfinder.

Kingmaker keeps coming up as a really well done AP. It's definitely on my list of APs to look more into when we're done with our current campaign. The Foundry module should be out by then.

Remove ads