• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 The Complete Book of Humanoids - 3E

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
no no no, it's not done yet... :) this is a little project i thought of, that i just started a few days ago. i'm posting it now that you may have a look at it in progress. i'll let the work speak for itself. i will appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. :) when i'm finished with it, i will send the file to scott, and with any luck he might just see fit to post it on the site. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
PART ONE

The Complete Book of Humanoids was a 2nd Edition guidebook for players and DMs to create characters of nonstandard humanoid races. It was the first work of its kind, dedicated to providing options for PC races beyond the standard human, dwarf, elf, halfling, and the like. This document exists to help update the information from the original source, as well as sources such as the Monstrous Mythology book, into 3rd Edition terms and make it playable. This document also compiles information from several 3rd Edition sources.
The original sourcebook contained rules for the following PC races, and this list details where 3E stats for these races can be found. Note that since the half-orc is now a standard PC race, it will not be detailed in this document. Also, saurials were detailed as a PC race in Dragon #292, and will also not be detailed here.

Aarakocra - Monsters of Faerun
Alaghi - Monsters of Faerun
Beastman - *
Bugbear - Monster Manual
Bullywug, Advanced - Monsters of Faerun
Centaur - Monster Manual
Fremlin - *
Giant-kin, Firbolg - Creature Catalog
Giant-kin, Voadkyn - Creature Catalog
Gnoll - Monster Manual
Gnoll, Flind - Creature Catalog
Goblin - Monster Manual
Hobgoblin - Monster Manual
Kobold - Monster Manual
Lizard Man - Monster Manual (as Lizardfolk)
Minotaur - Monster Manual
Mongrelman - Creature Catalog
Ogre - Monster Manual
Ogre, Half- - Creature Catalog
Ogre Mage - Monster Manual
Orc - Monster Manual
Orc, Half- - Player's Handbook (as standard PC race)
Pixie - Monster Manual (as Sprite, Pixie)
Satyr - Monster Manual
Saurial - Dragon Magazine #292
Swanmay - *
Wemic - Monsters of Faerun

*These races can be found in this document.

Note that the definition of "humanoid" from 2nd to 3rd edition has changed, and that even the original sourcebook included races that 2nd edition did not define as "humanoids", such as the giant-kin. As such, this document will include information for races that are not strictly of the Humanoid type, but Giants (Firbolg and Voadkyn), Fey (Satyr and Pixie), and several Monstrous Humanoids (Aarakocra, Wemic, Centaur, Minotaur, and others).
This document will do away will all things that relate strictly to 2nd Edition rules, and are no longer used in 3rd edition. Also not included will be ideas and suggestions on play; these need not change from the original text, and can usually be used as written.

Table 1: Racial Ability Adjustments
Race - Ability Adjustments; Favored Class
Aarakocra - +4 Dexterity, -2 Strength - Fighter
Alaghi - +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence - Druid
Beastman - +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma - Ranger
Bugbear - +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma - Rogue
Bullywug, Advanced - +6 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Wisdom, -4 Charisma - Barbarian
Centaur - +8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence - Ranger
Fremlin - +4 Dexterity, -2 Strength - Rogue
Giant-kin, Firbolg - +14 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma - Fighter
Giant-kin, Voadkyn - +10 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma - Ranger
Gnoll - +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Ranger
Gnoll, Flind - +6 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma - Fighter
Goblin - +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma - Rogue
Hobgoblin - +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution - Fighter
Kobold - +2 Dexterity, -4 Strength - Sorcerer
Lizardfolk - +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence - Druid
Minotaur - +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, - 4 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Barbarian
Mongrelman - +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma - Rogue
Ogre - +10 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, - 4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma - Barbarian
Ogre, Half- - +6 Strength, +4 Constitution, - 2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Barbarian
Ogre Mage - +10 Strength, +6 Constitusion, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma - Wizard
Orc - +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma - Barbarian
Pixie - +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, -4 Strength - Rogue
Satyr - +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma - Bard
Swanmay - Adjustments as base character's race - Ranger
Wemic - +8 Srength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma - Barbarian

Table 2: Effective Character Levels
Normal - Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Orc
Class Levels +1
Class Levels +2 - Gnoll, Lizardfolk
Class Levels +3 - Bugbear
Class Levels +4 - Pixie
Class Levels +5 - Centaur, Ogre, Satyr
Class Levels +8 - Minotaur
Class Levels +9 - Ogre mage

(ECLs as given in the Dungeon Master's Guide)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
PART TWO

AARAKOCRA
Aarakocra are intelligent, avian humanoids who make a lifestyle out of isolation. They are flighty and given to their own desires, but they are an inherently good people. They prefer to live quietly in their tribes rather than interacting with other races.
Personality: These birdmen are peaceful and enjoy their solitude. They love the freedom of the air, and become claustrophobic in any enclosed spaces. They are standoffish, but they come to the aid of other good races when there is trouble. They are fascinated by shiny things, and love gems of all sorts.
Aarakocra are a practical people, and self-sufficient. Each member of the tribe helps the others in whatever capacity they can best serve, and to help the community in general. Aarakocra are well practiced in crafts, making javelins as well as stone and wooden tools. They are also expert weavers, and all members of the tribe help to weave vines and dried grass into their tribe’s communal nest.
Physical Description: Aarakocra are a proud and majestic people, standing tall even though they are only about the same height as elves. They tend to be even lighter than elves though, because their bones are light like a bird’s. Their winged flight makes them a true spectacle in the air, with their wings stretching out to a 20 foot wingspan. Their faces, which appear to have aspects of various birds, show a curious yet arrogant view of other beings. The plumage of males is bright, to attract predators away from the females, whose feathers tend to be of a dark, dull color.
Aarakocra reach adulthood at about age 18 and live to about 60 years of age on average.
Relations: Aarakocra are xenophobic to all races, and even to other aarakocra who are not part of their tribe. Individuals tend to adopt the policies of their tribe, and tend not to fraternize with outsiders. They only leave their home territory in extreme circumstances. They are not openly hostile, but will challenge anyone who enters their territory uninvited. They are sometimes at odds with human ranchers, as the birdmen often snatch up their farm animals; this is unintentional theft, as they do not distinguish between wild and domestic animals.
Alignment: Aarakocra are usually neutral, and tend toward good. Their watchfulness over other races can sometimes lead to arrogance, but overall the birdmen are a good people. They protect their own first and foremost, but will aid those in need.
Aarakocra Lands: Aarakocra live high in mountain ranges in small tribes, where they diligently maintain their hunting territory. They mark their territory with hand woven banners and pendants of bright colors, to warn intruders away. The large nest is located centrally in the tribe’s territory, and is where all functions of society take place, while hunting is done outside of the nest.
Religion: Aarakocra worship Syranita, the goddess of protection and watchfulness. Syranita's priests serve the community as its protectors, and serve to educate the young. Tribal religious leaders perform simple ceremonies at sunset on the first day of a new month, which usually involve whistling melodic hymns.
Language: Aarakocra speak their own dialect of Auran, complete with screeches and squawks.
Names: Breeka, Skreeya, Kreeyan
Adventurers: An aarakocra that leaves the nest willingly is a rare thing indeed. Adventurers always have clear motivations, and are usually involved in a quest to aid their tribe. Some adventurers are loners who don't fit in with their society and feel the need to leave. Most aarakocra adventurers are fighters, but rogues and clerics are not uncommon. Fighters prefer heavy fletched javelins for battle, and carry up to six of them at a time. Those who have traveled to civilized lands sometimes find they prefer to wear studded leather armor, but aarakocra never carry shields. Some tribes use a weapon called a *flight lance*.

AARAKOCRA RACIAL TRAITS
+4 Dexterity, -2 Strength: Aarakocra are graceful creatures, but they tend to be weak and frail.
Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, aarakocra have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Aarakocran base land speed is 20 feet, and base flight speed is 90 feet (average maneuverability).
Natural Armor: An aarakocra has +1 natural armor.
Natural Attacks: An unarmed aarakocra can slash with its talons for 1d4 Damage, and can make an extra attack with its beak (+1 melee) for 1d3 points of damage, if grounded.
Summon Large Air Elemental: A group aarakocras with a cleric present can summon an air elemental with the proper rituals. See Monsters of Faerun for details on this power.
Automatic Languages: Auran. Aarakocra speak with each other and with giant eagles, but can learn a form of broken Common that intersperses with bird-like sounds.
Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass aarakocra's fighter class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing. (see Experience for Multiclass Characters, Player's Handbook, page 56).

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
quickly noticed ...

you have ogre's down as +4 str, shouldn't it be +10?

[edit: ACH!! nevermind ... also noticed lots of str mod's are off, I'm assuming there's a reason for this?]

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: quickly noticed ...

Wolf72 said:
you have ogre's down as +4 str, shouldn't it be +10?

[edit: ACH!! nevermind ... also noticed lots of str mod's are off, I'm assuming there's a reason for this?]

if they're "off", where are you getting your stats from? i got those adjustments by doubling the ones in the CHH. i wouldn't mind having some more accurate 3E bonuses/penalties.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
From the DMG, pgs. 57-58:

Bugbear: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha
Gnoll: +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Goblin: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha
Half-Orc: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Hobgoblin: +2 Dex, +2 Con
Kobold: -4 Str, +2 Dex
Lizardfolk: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int
Minotaur: +8 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -2 Cha
Ogre: +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Cha
Ogre Mage: +10 Str, +6 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis +6 Cha
Orc: +4 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha

Most of those listed above also get bonuses to skilss, extra HD (and a concomitant increase in BAB and Saves), and/or a Natural Armor bonus.

Krishnath

First Post
I like it! Any plans on expanding it to include other Humanoids/Monstrous Humanoids/Fey and Giant-Kin than those listed above? Such as the different Planetouched, the Blue Goblin (From the PsiHB), Githyanki and Githzerai, and some of the converted (and created humanoids) from the CC and this board?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Quick request from Grazzt/Keeper.

WotC hasn't said anything about the verbatim or close to verbatim text in the CC or here in the forums, but the stuff above for the AARAKOCRA is pretty much verbatim (or part of it is) from the new Monsters of Faerun book. Yes- I realize it may match up with the old Book of Humanoids, but WotC is WotC and they can do what they want.

They may not care about verbatim conversions of old stuff (ala the Creature Catalog), but something that has been updated for 3e and has been published...they might care about, especially if the text descriptions and stuff match.

Now- I am not saying don't post anything from the Book of Humanoids that is in the new MoF book, but please rewrite the text.

Thanks guys.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm, i think i can do that. it'll just require a bit more imagination and creativity. :D i'll fix up the parts that are a bit too close to comfort from the already-printed 3E text. this reason, of course, is why i shortened up the description of the aarakocra's appearance as seen in MoF.

Remove ads