• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speed of leveling

Tewligan

First Post
Yowza, my group advances crazy slowly compared to the norm. We've been playing the current campaign with the same characters since about a month after the third edition DMG came out, and we usually play once a week - of course, a game gets cancelled now and again, so it works out to about 3 times a month or so. Anyway, I was absolutely delighted last session to get enough XP to hit 7th level. Whoo! When you advance that rarely, it makes it pretty special. It's not that we don't have combats - although I'm pretty sure we're a lot less combat-oriented than most groups. Our DM just massively scales down the XP awards listed so we advance more slowly. I'm guessing that this would be pretty unpopular with most players, but we all really dig it - especially when we wrap up a major story arc and get rewarded with a huge (for us) bundle o' experience. Needless, to say, I think it'll be a while before anyone in the group will need the ELH...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We're the same way. We're about to hit the campaign's 10th anniversary, and the highest PC is 19th level. Since we play every other week, that's about 25 times a year, or 250 sessions. It translates to levelling up about every 10-12 sessions.

That's slower than most people, but it works really well for us! People get a good grasp on their PCs' abilities, they learn damn cool tactics, and it makes gaining a level truly fun.

Jeremy

Explorer
10-12 sessions x 4-5 hours/session = 40-60 hours game play/level.

Which translates to 3-6 games per level if you were playing weekly 10-12 hour sessions like we do.

Sorry, pointless post. Just bored.

Velenne

Explorer
I definately prefer a faster leveling rate at the lower levels. The PC's are too easy to kill. It's difficult to make enounters challenging without making them lethal when one well-placed axe or crit will kill a poor fighter with 10-20 hit points. After a few encounters, it's easy to understand what your characters can do since there are few options to really choose from. Once every 10 hours of play is pretty fair, IMO.

Once you get to about level 5, it can slow down a bit. The characters have more options, they're a little tougher, and you can throw a greater variety of problems at them. Maybe every 15-20 hours of play.

For my money, levels 8-12 are the golden era of a game's lifespan. The characters can do some amazing things, but nothing too off-the-wall or potentially unbalancing. You still have a general idea as a DM of what they're capable of and can have it mind when preparing for a session. I would expect or hope to level once every 20-25 hours of gaming. While level loss may occur at this stage of a game due to the characters now having the resources to raise a comrade from the dead, I consider it a fair price to pay at 20'ish hours of gameplay (unless it's a particularly challenging campaign and the PC's are having a little trouble staying alive). Any longer than that, and it's simply too staggering a blow to think that I'll be sitting through another 40+ hours at a gaming table without any tangible progress to my character. Progress to the story, perhaps (which is all many people consider important -and I agree to a point), but call me crazy if I feel a little giddy when my character levels and I get to make him more powerful and utilize new, cooler abilities.

At levels 12-16, the PC's level of power is even more fantastic, and the DM walks a spider silk-thin line of making the game challenging but not killing the party with the degree of power opponents will have. Still, I would keep the progression of leveling the same for the reason I mention in the previous paragraph.

After level 17, it's no holds barred. Characters can True Res, they have absolutely amazing, game-wrecking powers that can get out of hand easily. It takes a brilliant DM to be able handle this level of power and still make the game challenging to the PC's, both from a combat and an story standpoint. Killing a PC might happen a lot more often, but the consequences are relatively paltry. (Keep in mind, even if there's not a cleric the party, they have the money to pay for a True Res if they can find a cleric who can cast it). As far as the pace of leveling, typically your campaign is winding to a close at this point (the ELH may change this) so it may or may not matter. Level advancement is entirely to taste at this stage. Are the PC's going to turn into NPC's after this -who may cameo in later campaigns? Retire and fade into obscurity? Die in a blaze of glory (and stay dead this time)? Whatever the plans, I would say that if the game truly is winding to a close, why not be a little more generous? If it's not, stay with the 20-30 hours rule-of-thumb, or maybe up it to 30-40, whichever. Either way, it's not going to matter much at this point as the character's abilities are nearly as good as they're going to get.

That's my ten cents.

Gromm

First Post
We level about every other session or so (which works out to roughly every 10-14 hours of play). Of course most fights are well over the party's CR (since in my DM/My opinion fights with CR encounters are actually boring for everyone- and the situation rarely calls for the 3-4 encounters a day to make it a challenge).

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else ramp up encounters to make them interesting? I mean right now the party is 7th level. I threw a Bulette at them last time and they killed it with no problem (it couldn't even hit the fighter mage). I mean 4-7th level characters against a single 7th level fighter is supposed to be interesting? It takes maybe 20% of the resources of the party, but it feels like the party just walks up and pounds him to paste and thats it. Unless you attack them over and over again; which in all our campaigns rarely makes sense since they are more story driven and less dungeon crawls-more outdoor/city encounters than not.
Of course if you use the wandering monster charts from the DMG, your party will never be able to camp since during that time they are almost guaranteed to be attacked, over and over again.

Last edited:

Madstylz

First Post
It all depends on your DMs. I have played with one group every other Sunday since Oct of 2001 and we're all stuck around 10th level. On alternating Sundays, I play with a different group that started playing seriously last Oct and we're all just 2000 or so XP away from 12th level. Go figure. lol

Remove ads