• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Physical Copy

Agamon

Adventurer
Zaister said:
My physical copy arrived today in Germany. Looks very very good! I was afraid the package might got held up in customs, because it contained both PF #1, the Player's Guide and module D2, for a total of $46.97, which is more than the threshold of 22 €, over which customs fees of about 20% must be paid. However, even though it was processed by customs, fortunately I didn't have to pay anything.

This is very good to know. If I had to pay customs, my PF and GM subs would be short lived, I'm afraid.

On the flip side, one of the great mysteries is how Germans and Aussies get their stuff before me, when I could drive to the Paizo offices on a tank of gas.... :p

This, along with the Dragon 258/259 poster map snafu makes me think someone in shipping has it in for us Canucks... :eek:

Last edited:

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Got mine today and it looks great! I don't really know much about Dragonball Z but some of the art looked like it was by the guy who did some of the Book of Nine Swords art -- no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. I actually preferred it to much of the art in Crown of the Kobold King.
The only thing I was wondering is why the Pathfinder Chronicles section is in black and white. My other initial thought is how good it is to see some of the 1e/Tome of Horrors critters make an appearance!

Cheers

Richard

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Let's see, I'm paying about $17 total with shipping to have it mailed to my home, so i guess I'm saving 3 bucks? :heh: I find it totally worth it. Magazine/book/whateveryoucallit, I don't care, it's a color printed product I can hold and read. That's great.

And for the elf comments, I did laugh. I didn't mind it much, but my eyes did a "bug out" thing and I said to myself "there's no way I'm scanning this and holding it up to the players when they meet her."

So then I did take the page from the pdf version, and used photoshop to trim down the ears to manageable level, and viola, good elf pic. :)

EDIT: And, on another note, having a fleshed out setting I found to be an exceptional take on vanilla, the adventure itself is very detailed, with great locations, deep NPCs (both friend and foe) and at least 3-4 sessions at my table. About 5 bucks a night for this much fun for my friends? Sure beats a movie. :)

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
Let's see, I'm paying about $17 total with shipping to have it mailed to my home, so i guess I'm saving 3 bucks? :heh: I find it totally worth it. Magazine/book/whateveryoucallit, I don't care, it's a color printed product I can hold and read. That's great.

And for the elf comments, I did laugh. I didn't mind it much, but my eyes did a "bug out" thing and I said to myself "there's no way I'm scanning this and holding it up to the players when they meet her."

So then I did take the page from the pdf version, and used photoshop to trim down the ears to manageable level, and viola, good elf pic. :)

EDIT: And, on another note, having a fleshed out setting I found to be an exceptional take on vanilla, the adventure itself is very detailed, with great locations, deep NPCs (both friend and foe) and at least 3-4 sessions at my table. About 5 bucks a night for this much fun for my friends? Sure beats a movie. :)

Don't forget the free $14 PDF that comes with that.

Ghendar

First Post
Erik Mona said:
We were a bit pressed for time on the first volume of Pathfinder, and the artist who bailed us out when another one canceled is most likely the one you guys think looks like Dragon Ball Z. Look for more consistent (and less Dragon Ball Z) art styles in #2 and beyond.

--Erik

Excellent news. :D

Ghendar

First Post
Treebore said:
The artwork was fine by me. I don't want "one look" or "one style", the real world has a wide range of looks and style, so I feel that art that conveys a similiar range actually enhances things. Tkae the elf chick for example, other than the foot long ears I know a girl who looks a LOT like that. A LOT!

So her hair bends like that as well? ;)

Seriously though, variety in artwork can be attained without the anime influence. I'm encouraged by Eric Mona's comments about less Dragonball Z looking artwork.

Treebore

First Post
This, combined with a thread I read on another board, makes me want to see a good old fashioned B/W issue with gorgeous B/W artwork that doesn't hide an artists lack of technical proficiency, and the effects of great shading technique.

IE, get rid of the color, for one issue. Just to see how good it looks. Color is way over valued as far as I am concerned. Good B/W art, with shading, toning, etc... and solid white background for the text. Maps you can keep in color.

Is there layering in the PDF? IE can I "turn off" the color? Guess I should go check.

I really dig the color artwork in the module. Black and white is better for some things (ToH comes to mind), but the color job for the Pathfinder adventure I find to be to my liking. P1 is the very first time in my years of gaming that I've ever admired the included art. I mean that quite literally. Some of the vignettes in there (the pic of thistledown and one of the others later on) are beautifully illustrated and effectively convey the image detailed by the module. Like many of the other purchasers, I didn't care for the cartoony style of some of the creature illos. I know this last may be an unpopular sentiment, but I was also really happy to not see any Larry Elmore chainmail bikini-type artwork in P1.

Thank you. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads