• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo vs Amazon.com

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I had trouble ordering from RPG Shop before. I found that they are really bad on responding to customer complaints in their forums and that they do not seem to deliver in a timely manner. Or it may have been because I ordered during the Christmas months. If I can't find it with Amazon.com then I usually go directly to the company's website, and haven't had too much trouble either getting products for cheap or getting them in a timely manner.

SavageRobby

First Post
I won't order from RPG Shop ever again. EVER. I don't care what the product is. Fool me once, all that stuff.

I've had good experiences with both Paizo and Amazon. I really like Paizo, the company. I really like the Amazon discount (and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime - and as a family we order enough non-RPG things that its well worth it). But as others have said, I'm very leery of ordering things from Amazon that don't say "In stock now". I can be a serious crapshoot sometimes.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let's see...

Ordered July 25th... GameMastery Module: Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale with an estimated shipping time between : September 10, 2007 - October 9, 2007...

Ordered July 23rd... GameMastery Module: Crown of the Kobold King with an estimated shipping time between: February 11, 2008 - February 13, 2008

Seems the old Paizo distribution channel ain't always up to full speed with Amazon still.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Back when I use to buy WW products through Amazon regularly, I always had to call their customer service the day a book came out and ask them to release it for shipment if I wanted that book within 6 months. And that's White Wolf, the #2 in the industry. I pitty someone trying to order a Kenzer book from them.

In short, Paizo is the Amazon of RPGs.

Arnwyn

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
In short, Paizo is the Amazon of RPGs.
Which is terrible for those outside the US (even to those just north on the same damn continent and largest 'undefended' border in the world)...

I was sincerely hoping Paizo would get on the ball with Amazon.ca, but at least for their Gamemastery stuff it's pretty grim (though, for some reason, Amazon.ca has the first Pathfinder [Burnt Offerings] already in stock - which is promising should I choose to continue with Pathfinder when my transition runs out after Book #7). Ah well, small victories I suppose.

Paizo itself, though, is absolutely horrendous for Canadians.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The only problems I've had with Amazon in about 10 years of buying from them, including every Christmas for the past seven years (so much fun to be done shopping before Thanksgiving, with no visits to the mall):

1) Ordering a Treo 650. (A giant comedy of errors.)
2) Getting Paragons for Mutants & Masterminds. (My gut says the book is there, but just not updated in the system, since they sent out the Paragons module just fine, while the core book is waiting until February, allegedly.)
3) I was one of the gazillions who preordered an iPod Touch who didn't get one the first day -- instead, I may be waiting until mid-November. I blame Apple for this, though. :(

Both Paizo and RPGShop have tried to sell me a book that actually turned out to be OOP, but wasn't updated in their system. In both cases, a customer service person responded to me within 24 hours and resolved the problem.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
2) Getting Paragons for Mutants & Masterminds. (My gut says the book is there, but just not updated in the system, since they sent out the Paragons module just fine, while the core book is waiting until February, allegedly.)

Call their customer service. They can check the warehouse inventory and release one to be shipped to you if indeed they do have it.

Arnwyn said:
Paizo itself, though, is absolutely horrendous for Canadians.
How come?

It works just fine for the UK. I've ordered quite a few things over the years, never had a hint of a problem.

Of course, if the US dollar ever recovers their shipping costs won't look so reasonable, but Canadians benefit from the weak US dollar just as much as the rest of us.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
amethal said:
How come?

It works just fine for the UK. I've ordered quite a few things over the yaers, never had a hint of a problem.

Of course, if the US dollar ever recovers their shipping costs won't look so reasonable, but Canadians benefit from the weak US dollar just as much as the rest of us.
*shrug* No idea why it might work for you in the UK, but I'm glad it does.

To Canada, shipping is tremendously slow, often unreliable, and there are border issues (including mislabeling of the goods, which slows things down even further, as well as possible duty fees). Shipping costs to Canada are also a bit unpleasant, since the USPS thinks there's a giant mile-high wall along the border (while conversely, I can order 10-20 DVD box sets halfway across Canada - considerably longer than most US distances - for about $5-9 CDN). And everything is in $US (which is fine for right now this very minute, but not something one wants to rely on; not to mention that credit card companies do charge a conversion fee). In any case, ouch all around.

Amazon.ca, OTOH, is lickety-split fast, always reliable, and free shipping.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads