• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Something To Keep In Mind When Reading Reviews Of Episode II

Sulimo

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:
The same people who posted at length, multiple times, about how hard MaTrIx ROOLD and everything else SUKD, until it became fashionable to declare the Matrix "over" in favor of, say, Memento.

Those are the subjects of my first post.

Patrick Y.

You know I never really was able to understand what everyone saw in Matrix. It just reminded me of a lot of anime, with a Hollywood sized budget. I never even was hyped up about 'bullet-time'.

Actually I preferred the other similarly themed film of the time Dark City.

Thats not to say that i went around telling everyone how crap Matrix was. I actually like it, just didnt think it was groundbreaking.

I have to admit though, I am one of those people who did really like Memento and am still keen to see Mulholland Drive (it didnt make it to local cinemas). Although I have done my fair share of film studies at university so that might explain it :)

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm. . .

I like TPM better than RotJ.

And as a general rule I don't trust people loke Star Wars and don't drink coffee.

Corinth

First Post
Return of the Jedi is still my favorite, but only because of the massive fleet battle over Endor that's nicely balanced between the lightsaber duel on the second Death Star and the ground battle outside the power generator. That was beautifully good, and I've long sought to emulate it in my games. (I succeeded once.)

Sulimo said:

You know I never really was able to understand what everyone saw in Matrix. It just reminded me of a lot of anime, with a Hollywood sized budget. I never even was hyped up about 'bullet-time'.

Thats not to say that i went around telling everyone how crap Matrix was. I actually like it, just didnt think it was groundbreaking.

I have to admit though, I am one of those people who did really like Memento and am still keen to see Mulholland Drive (it didnt make it to local cinemas). Although I have done my fair share of film studies at university so that might explain it :)

I'm with you. I was also underwhelmed by the Matrix. Not to say I didn't enjoy it- there were parts of that film which are VERY fun and stand the test of repeated viewing. On the whole though, I can take it or leave it and I enjoyed both TPM and the Mummy more, as they delivered a better thrill ride feeling. :)

As to Memento, I still haven't seen it, though I'm not sure why, as I was very excited when I first heard about it. As to Mulholland Drive........ female leads = WOW, pick my eyes up off the floor, film = tepid, though YMMV. :)

Patrick Y.

Welverin

First Post
Ristamar said:
Anyway, on to what I really wanted to talk about.... I think Ebert let his disdain for digital filming get in the way of an actual review of the movie itself. He loves 35mm. It was more of a review of the format Lucas used rather than a review of the film. I read over it, and he seemed to spend more time bitching about how bad it looks through non-digital projection than discussing what happened on the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if the film had been done on 35mm, or had he seen it digitally projected, his rating might've been 3 or 3 1/2 stars.

Which is funny because he gave tPM 3 1/2 stars.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Sulimo said:

Speaking of musical pieces, I have to say one of my faves is when Luke comes out of the Tatooine home and looks up at the twin suns. That bit still gives me chills.

That scene is the best scene of A New Hope. Luke is looking at his two futures, torn between the two. It sets up the rest of the movies.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I liked The Empire Strikes Back the best even when I first saw it. Something about the dark nature of the film, mixed with Han's sacrifice and Leia's admission of love for him.

The last 20 minutes of ESB are just perfect. I love it when Han is lowered into the carbon freezing chamber, and the camera pans to Vader... the smoke clears from his face, and we learn to hate the man.

Gizzard

First Post
> As to Memento, I still haven't seen it, though I'm not
> sure why, as I was very excited when I first heard about it.

You definitely should see Memento, its a good movie (unlike certain big-budget summer sci-fi films. (Do you think that response will get me labelled a poseur? Hehe. :))

I think its strength is in the method that it tells its story; perhaps more interesting in the technique than anything else. (OK, am I an artsy poseur yet?) I'm not absolutely sure that the story and characterization hold up to multiple viewings, but its still definitely worth checking out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads