• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need classes for Dread necro gestalt

Empirate

First Post
I'll just say ANY level adjustment AT ALL is a really bad idea for a caster. MAYBE +1, if you get really awesome stuff going in exchange for that - but +4, I'm not seeing it. Dracolich is cool and awesome, but it doesn't make you better at your core competency (casting); in fact, it makes you much, much worse at it. If you're looking for race/template combinations, look for things that make you better at your job. Losing four levels of casting progression isn't one of those things.

But that's purely optimization talking. What's your character concept, by the way? What kind of guy do you want to be? Is "dragon-descended human with a penchant for waking the dead" not cool enough - and if so, what kind of 'extra special special' do you want to have in there?

gwyllgi

First Post
I wanted a "Master of the undead" vibe in the sense of a scientist. spellscales are supposed to worship magic as a religion so i had the idea of my pc having conquered death not of his own volition but because of his parents.

as a deeper backstory his parents were both wizards, which is unusual for spellscales but they were both half vampires obsessed with completely over coming non-existance while the fluff says all spellscales produce 100% spellscales all of my PC's grandparents were vampires who happened to produce spellscales.

so he was born with not enough vampire "taint" to count as one but my idea was that he had enough that if he ever turned he would be more powerful than a normal vampire hence the dread vampire template, which is my point for doing level adjustment the way i had originally instead of in leveling into it (Im currently talking my DM into allowing it to happen the original way i had planned but just in case...). From my community my pc had learned of magic being a spiritual force not tied to any god or needing devotion, it was simply another part of life, think the force. But my PC's parents had taught him that magic came from multiple sources, the most potent being the negative energy plane, and it's chosen manifestation being necromancy Mind you the PC was 3 (which is like 10 in spellscale years).

SO at the age of 13 i my PC thinks of magic used by most spellscales as unfocused and weak while that of other humanoid and monstrous humanoids as being dumb luck. One of my main ideas was to spend non adventuring time in a daern's instant fortress improving or researching necromancy for RP purposes mostly.

the end goal is a army of reliable undead.

if i am allowed terror vamp template i will continue along my planned path
If not i'll gestalt as necromancer cleric
if those both fail im playing a human gunslinger/3.5 artificer gestalt and going to try to be warmachine.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
I wanted a "Master of the undead" vibe in the sense of a scientist. spellscales are supposed to worship magic as a religion so i had the idea of my pc having conquered death not of his own volition but because of his parents.

as a deeper backstory his parents were both wizards, which is unusual for spellscales but they were both half vampires obsessed with completely over coming non-existance while the fluff says all spellscales produce 100% spellscales all of my PC's grandparents were vampires who happened to produce spellscales.

so he was born with not enough vampire "taint" to count as one but my idea was that he had enough that if he ever turned he would be more powerful than a normal vampire hence the dread vampire template, which is my point for doing level adjustment the way i had originally instead of in leveling into it (Im currently talking my DM into allowing it to happen the original way i had planned but just in case...). From my community my pc had learned of magic being a spiritual force not tied to any god or needing devotion, it was simply another part of life, think the force. But my PC's parents had taught him that magic came from multiple sources, the most potent being the negative energy plane, and it's chosen manifestation being necromancy Mind you the PC was 3 (which is like 10 in spellscale years).

SO at the age of 13 i my PC thinks of magic used by most spellscales as unfocused and weak while that of other humanoid and monstrous humanoids as being dumb luck. One of my main ideas was to spend non adventuring time in a daern's instant fortress improving or researching necromancy for RP purposes mostly.

the end goal is a army of reliable undead.

if i am allowed terror vamp template i will continue along my planned path
If not i'll gestalt as necromancer cleric
if those both fail im playing a human gunslinger/3.5 artificer gestalt and going to try to be warmachine.
I know it may seem a little odd but have you considered a Walker in the Waste? This gives access to one of the best undead templates, a Dry Lich. These guys actually adds its charisma bonus to its hit die, d12 hit die. During the way you get to make desert themed undead/construct army. If you still want an arcane themed one Arcane Disciple will get you the needed spells.

gwyllgi

First Post
I know it may seem a little odd but have you considered a Walker in the Waste? This gives access to one of the best undead templates, a Dry Lich. These guys actually adds its charisma bonus to its hit die, d12 hit die. During the way you get to make desert themed undead/construct army. If you still want an arcane themed one Arcane Disciple will get you the needed spells.

that would require 3 levels of a divine spellcaster putting me back 4 levels in Dnecro spellcasting.

emoplato

First Post
cleric rebuking wouldn't stack in gestalt would it?
Well by name of features they are different so you could say that they do stack, but either way since Walker in the Waste doesn't advance rebuking you can just have the cleric fill that in when you opt out of Dread Necromancer.

Remove ads