Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

kensanata

Explorer
In my own campaign with Japanese armor, I kept wondering how much armor was "light" armor, which is why I found the +3/+5 proposal appealing. Somebody posted it a long time back on this thread, and I thought it was neat: It would work no matter where your armor came from. But then again, nobody wears shields in my setting, and they don't have magic armor, yet.

Perhaps the following would work better?

"Any armor up to a non-magical armor bonus +3 is light and any armor up to a non-magical armor bonus +5 is medium. All classes can wield shields."

greywulf

First Post
Thinking about it some more, simpler might just be simpler.

I vote with what WSmith said, though I'm uncertain about using Shields. They just seem so...unRoguelike.

kensanata

Explorer
greywulf said:
Thinking about it some more, simpler might just be simpler.

Depends what that means... ;) I'll revert the changes I made at the time. :)

greywulf said:
I vote with what WSmith said, though I'm uncertain about using Shields. They just seem so...unRoguelike.

Certainly the D&D manual says that rogues are not proficient with shields...

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
Depends what that means... ;) I'll revert the changes I made at the time. :)

Certainly the D&D manual says that rogues are not proficient with shields...

Thanks, K'. I've not had time to hit Big Shiny lately (new campaign started last night in Ptolus, giving me much to think about) so that's going to be my Sunday Afternoon project, methinks.

I'll fit your changes back into the text.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
First I would like to say that I haven't read this whole thread, so if I repeat something talked to death forgive me.

I started up a new campaign this week and we decided to give the Microlite system a run for its money. Here are my observations of the evening.

1. The cost to cast spell in HP was severely limiting the Wizard and Cleric at 1st level. The wizard could only cast MM twice and was tapped out and forced to throw food platters. This seems like a little too little spellpower. I put in a stopgap fix of letting the wizard use MIND instead of STR for hitpoints and letting the cleric choose his stat of HP giving.

2. Over 1/2 of the on-the-fly combinations of skill/stat to cover a situation seemed to come up physical/dex. Not a gripe, just an observation.

3. The monster write-up download page was pretty handy, however it needs a bit more info included to be REALLY handy. I suggest a Traveller style line with the 3 stats and 4 skills listed thusly S/D/M:p/S/K/C (example for a beefy monster 7/1/-1:8/3/3/3)

4. I subbed in making opposed PHY: DEX rolls when avoiding AoO situations. It worked well.

5. We used minis, but not a grid. When someone was close to melee but not in melee I let them make a DC10 PHY: DEX roll to "charge". It didn't make sense they couldn't step up AND attack when they were only 5 feet away from the action.

6. With as much trimmed fat as there is, I cannot believe that the kooky twin-weapon-fighting still made it in. I instead use the following rule.
Off Hand: Having a weapon in your off hand give you +2 on attacks.

More observations next week, they are off to save the princess!

DS

3d6

Explorer
The cost to cast spell in HP was severely limiting the Wizard and Cleric at 1st level. The wizard could only cast MM twice and was tapped out and forced to throw food platters.
A 1st-level wizard in D&D with Intelligence 16 can cast two 1st-level spells, and a 1st-level cleric with Wisdom 16 can cast three.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
3d6 said:
A 1st level wizard in D&D with Intelligence 16 can cast two 1st-level spells, and a 1st level cleric with Wisdom 16 can cast three.

They can also cast 3 0-level spells, for a total of 9 and 12 HP worth of spells respectively. In addition they are not dead when they get tapped out.

DS

Remove ads