• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage Hand cantrip

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Mage Hand cantrip creates a floating hand in an unoccupied square, and it manipulates an adjacent object. I'm assuming adjacent means "within 1 square" in this case.

It doesn't specify an unattended object on Skamos' sheet. Could Mage Hand be used to take a knife from a sheath on someone's belt? To manipulate that knife to cut the string on their bow?

Do we know yet if there's an equivalent to readying an action in 4E? If so, could the Hand grab an arrow in flight?

-Hyp.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah I would say consider the Mage Hand equal to one's own capabilities with perhaps a slight decrease in dexterity (you are seeing it from afar, or you can't actually feel what your doing, etc.) and strength (it can only carry 20 pounds, so see what the equivalent strength of that would be).

VannATLC

First Post
Nobody can grab an arrow midflight.. At least, not within an effective straight-shot distance.

Mythbusters successfully demonstrated that it is simple not possible for a human being to close their fingers fast enough.

Deflection of an arrow is a different question.

As for the other questions.. I'd certainly allow the attempt. Dexterity vs Perception, on a failure, Dexterity vs Reflex for the unsubtle grab.

If it is unnoticed, then another Dexterity vs Perception for the cutting of a bow string.

The hand is not invisible, mind, and is going to be less agile than its controller.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
hong said:
Could YOU grab an arrow in flight?

The-Last-Dragon.jpg

-Hyp.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Judging solely by the description of the cantrip, you could not take another's knife (without their permission or knowledge) if it was on their person since it would not be "unattended." Also, I don't think you could cut the bow, since that would be a sunder attempt, which is an attack, and the cantrip is not listed as a wizard attack ability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads