• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is Pathfinder Sustainable in the Long-Term?

Before we start let me just say that I hope Pathfinder is a big success for Paizo. This thread is not about me knocking their new product, it is about me wondering whether or not it is sustainable for them in the long-term. I'm sure that the people at Paizo have done their homework on this one and think that it is. I really hope that they are right, but I have my doubts.

In the short-term, Paizo (and Pathfinder) should do just fine. Paizo have deservedly built up a good reputation over the last few years. They have come out of the whole Dragon/Dungeon fiasco looking like the unfortunate victims of a WotC business decision (which I believe they are). They have also been able to take advantage of current subscribers surplus Dungeon and Dragon subs by convincing them to change them over to Pathfinder subscriptions. In addition some people are supporting Paizo and subscribing to Pathfinder just to stick it to the man (WotC).

Howver, in the long-term things are different. Here are some issues which I think will result in lower subscription numbers in the longer-term for Pathfinder which could make the product unviable:

1. Subscribers that switched their surplus Dragon and Dungeon subs find that Pathfinder doesn't fill the same role that the magazines did. Many people that converted their extra Dragon and Dungeon issues to Pathfinder would have considered it to be a free look at the new product.

Yes, I realise that they have actually paid for the issues but a lot of people would have perceived it as money that they had already spent so it didn't matter. Once these pre-paid issues have run out and they have to start paying for Pathfinder they may decide that it isn't providing them the same value for money that Dungeon or Dragon did and stop subscribing.

2. The price is too high. $19.99 USD for 96-pages may simply be more than some people are willing to pay for a monthly subscription. Yes, you can get it for $13.99 USD if you subscribe. However $4 shipping for US subscribers and or $5 shipping for non-US subscribers means that you are still paying $18-$19 USD for each issue. That works out to somewhere between $215.88 (US Subscriber) and $239.88 (Full Retail) to get all 12 issues each year. This is more than it cost if you had 1-year subscriptions to both Dungeon and Dragon.

Yes, I know that 1 issue of Pathfinder is still cheaper than a product Paizo have compared it to, Red Hand of Doom. I also know that there will be more actual content per page compared to Dungeon and/or Dragon now that advertisements no longer fill half the page. Despite this I believe that some people will not subscribe as the price is higher than they are willing to spend on a monthly subscription.

There are also others for whom $215-$240 USD represents a significant percentage of their yearly gaming budget. Some people may not be willing to commit that much of their budget to just one product. They might, for example, prefer to spend a bit on sourcebooks, a bit on minis and a bit on adventures instead.

3. 2 adventure paths per year is too much. Even if Pathfinder produces the best adventures on the market (which I think is possible), some people just won't be able to keep up with the speed at which they come out. Even if my group played on a weekly basis (which we don't), I still don't think that my group could complete an AP in 6 months. This means that we would never catch up and I would always have adventures which I never ran. I don't think that I am alone in this situation.

Some groups have yet to finish the AOW AP, even though most of the ST AP has been published. Eventually DM's will reach a point where they have so many unrun adventures that they just don't need another adventure path, no matter how good it is.

Of course all of this assumes that people use AP's exclusively. If you like to run stand-alone adventures or something of your own creation as well as AP's then you get even further behind. This will mean that you will reach AP oversupply even sooner.

4. It is easy to lose subscribers for 6 months at a time. If someone doesn't like the concept of a particular adventure path in Pathfinder it is unlikely that they will buy any of the 6 issues that feature that AP. Yes, I do know that roughly half of each issue of Pathfinder will include other information that will be useful to any campaign, such as spells, monsters, feats, campaign locations, etc. However, I doubt that many people will spend $20 to buy a product that they know up front that they won't be able to use half of.

I know that the adventures are being designed with the idea that they can also be used as stand-alone adventures. However, the common perception (at least from posts I have read here and on the Paizo boards) is that the AP adventures aren't really used unless you are running that particular AP. Part of the problem is that once you decide to use a particular AP adventure, you are effectively eliminating the ability to use that particular AP with your group. Either that or you have to come up with a substitute adventure to fill in the one that you have used.

5. The WotC Digital Initiative. This is a bit more of a wildcard that the others since we don't actually have much information on what this will actually be. However I think it is reasonable to assume that some people that previously subscribed to Dungeon or Dragon will be interested in it. They may not have enough money to get both Pathfinder and the Digital Initiative. Some will choose the Digital Initiative, meaning fewer Pathfinder subscribers.

In summary, there are quite a few issues that I feel need to be addressed for Pathfinder to be an ongoing, long-term success. Some of them may have simple solutions, others are a little more difficult to solve. Personally I hope that I am either wrong about some of theses issues and they turn out to be non-events. I would hate to see the end of Paizo and AP's now that they have lost the Dungeon and Dragon licences.

What do you think? Agree or disagree? Have any solutions? Post and let me know.

Olaf the Stout

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The large question for me is what happens with Pathfinder if 4th edition will be released in 2008. If this is the case, I hope they at least arranged a license to produce 4th edition materials, as the next edition is likely to not be OGL. If they can keep going with the next set of rules then they might end up being the only outside company able to make 4th edition compatible supplements, and if that's the case I think Pathfinder will do exceptionally well. If not, then I give it a year.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
Before we start let me just say that I hope Pathfinder is a big success for Paizo. This thread is not about me knocking their new product, it is about me wondering whether or not it is sustainable for them in the long-term.

(Maybe so. But it does come across a little bit like knocking the product Olaf...)

Be that as it may - I don't think any of us know how long the non-compete clause on releasing a new "magazine" as opposed to a new "book" is - but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that come month 7 into Pathfinder - we have a whole new product line that carries ads and is...well...

A perfect bound "book" with ads. They call that a magazine.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Olaf, I think it all depends on how much non-AP stuff is in each issue. A guaranteed six monsters, ecology articles, setting info, assorted crunch -- if that's half of each issue, I think it could be very attractive to a lot of folks.

Steel_Wind said:
(Maybe so. But it does come across a little bit like knocking the product Olaf...)

Be that as it may - I don't think any of us know how long the non-compete clause on releasing a new "magazine" as opposed to a new "book" is - but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that come month 7 into Pathfinder - we have a whole new product line that carries ads and is...well...

A perfect bound "book" with ads. They call that a magazine.

I tried hard to not make it sound like I don't like the product. Obviously I didn't do a good enough job. I am just worried and concerned that all of Paizo's hard work over the last 5 years will be for nothing if they can't create a long-term replacement for the hole left by Dragon and Dungeon's departure.

I figured if I put my concerns out there other posters might be able to come up with some solutions for them that I hadn't thought of. I'm trying to help Paizo more than anything. I know that they're not idiots and have a much better knowledge of the publishing trade than I do but it just seems like their current model for Pathfinder may be more than the RPG can handle at the moment.

Personally I think that putting ads into the Pathfinder books a good way to reduce the cost per issue and make it appeal to more people. However, Paizo have marketed this as a book, not a magazine. Reading between the lines of posts on the Paizo boards, for one reason or another, Paizo can't (or don't) want to produce this as a magazine.

Since it is being marketed as a book, attracting advertising may be a little more difficult since you need to be able to advertise products that won't date as qiuckly as products that are advertised in a magazine.

Olaf the Stout

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think it will do well, compared to other 3rd party d20 adventures, but at the same time, that's really not many copies compared to Dungeon or Dragon. 3-4k copies sold at most. That's to begin with, but it will taper off. So I honestly think Paizo is pretty much doomed.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Olaf, I think it all depends on how much non-AP stuff is in each issue. A guaranteed six monsters, ecology articles, setting info, assorted crunch -- if that's half of each issue, I think it could be very attractive to a lot of folks.

If someone isn't interested in the adventure(s) for a particular issue do you really think that they would still be willing to pay $20 for 50 pages worth of monsters, ecology, setting info, crunch, etc.? Personally I don't think a lot of people would. Of course I have been wrong before. ;)

Olaf the Stout

Steel_Wind

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
Reading between the lines of posts on the Paizo boards, for one reason or another, Paizo can't (or don't) want to produce this as a magazine.

There is no question in my mind that this is a subscription "book" because there is a non-compete clause in the contract.

They know a $14 subscription price is a hard sell. They would dearly love to offer a new ad driven periodical at the same or close price point to replace Dungeon and Dragon to distributors. As Monte Cook noted over on his message boards - these guys know the magazine trade and they aren't stupid.

When the non-compete is up - Paizo will be back in the gaming magazine business as quick as a jack rabbit.

If the Paizo ship of state is still floating along majestically, that is.

FWIW - I subscribed to Pathfinder to do my bit to see that Paizo has its best shot at it.

After all, while I'm pretty sure I am not WotC's target customer - I'm 99% certain that I am Paizo's target customer.

And if you are reading this post - odds are that you are too.

GVDammerung

First Post
Are people all talk about Paizo's quality and genius? If so, Paizo is screwed, it being a matter of when, not if. If people really did appreciate the outstanding job Paizo's staff did with Dragon and Dungeon as much as they have said they do, Paizo and Pathfinder have a fighting chance.

Subscription based gaming products are an innovative idea, particularly if Paizo expands on/evolves the concept. If Paizo in the course of producing these products can maintain a conversation and connection with its customers and be reasonably responsive thereto, which they have indicated they will be attempting via submissions etc., the subscription model could have substantial legs.

IMO

Steel_Wind

Legend
trancejeremy said:
I think it will do well, compared to other 3rd party d20 adventures, but at the same time, that's really not many copies compared to Dungeon or Dragon. 3-4k copies sold at most. That's to begin with, but it will taper off. So I honestly think Paizo is pretty much doomed.

I expect they will have 10k+ subscribers out of the gate. They might even get twice that you know. It's not impossible. Building on Dragon and Dungeon's converted subscriber base is a HUGE advantage.

Tough road? Sure.

Doomed? No.

Remove ads