• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IRR) Discussion: After Turn 1

Creamsteak

Explorer
Well, things didn't go too well. The In Character material was fantastic, but the things going on in the background were a mess, and it seemed like nothing was going to happen. That is somewhat realistic, as there wasn't too much catastrophe in turn 1, but I know things should step up in Turn 2.

If you don't have anything to say for yourself, maybe some of these notes will drive you to post something of an opinion:

The scope of the IR is totally increased by the map, as you all know. I know Serpenteye posted in the OOC thread that he wants the territories renamed to match the map some of you are using. That seems fine with me, but it will take some time. The original list of powers took roughly 6 hours to finish, and re-writing it would take at least 3, I suppose. That doesn't seem like much, till you think that I only have 8 hours a day to work on anything, and I only spend 2 hours a day online (except weekends).

Also, what about the scope of time? Anyone have any opinions on the 'year long' system? It seems harder to judge general happenings, but easier to concieve. I'm thinking that due to the currently used rules, we may want to switch to months, but for all I know I'm alone in that respect.

And, I've got some rules changes to make (Trading First), and I was wondering if anyone was having problems? I know some people require simplicity, while others have emailed me consistency issues in some of my side-bar information (like what a PL could be worth). I'm curious as to any opinions on these.

Oh, have you been having fun? Have you just been waiting to do something that you needed to wait for the turn to end to start? Anything else like that?

Lichtenhart

First Post
Mmm, these are general thoughts, and in no way complaints about anyone.

I have to confess that I am much more intrigued by the roleplaying part of the IR, rather than the strategy part. I have a feeling that many of you are planning wonderful strategies that will catch me flatfooted and destroy me in no time, and I think this will be fun, but I'd like if those of you that like to plan also talked a little more IC.

About the rules I think they need to be simple for you, CS, so you can understand easily our plans, and not lose too much time adjudicating things. Make them simple for you, and I think they'll be fine for us too.

Oh and I don't understand how the rest of the world is gonna be involved in the IR? Will we recruit more players? How many players still want to play this IR?

Knight Otu

First Post
I had fun during the first turn, but I was sometimes discouraged by the lack of posting.

It seems that it was the Emerald contest that mostly bogged things down. Seemingly, nobody (including me) wanted to be the first to post his rping and strategy posts.

As for the scope of time, years seem more realistic for me.

Rules, if it is simple for you to determine things, it is good for all players.

I have no real rules complaints, but I think I still need to rework some epic spells for your actual rules.

Festy_Dog

First Post
All's well for me so far :D I like the rping but I really think I should come up with some kind of strategy at some point :p

I ain't got any troubles with the rules.

Serpenteye

First Post
I've enjoyed the IRR, so far, although it has proceeded far too slowly. We have had some interesting discussions in character and lot of plotting behind the scenes but far to little posting. But I think that is going to change next turn.

I like the rules (except trading), they are well designed, give a lot of interesting possibilities and are different enough from the 3rd IR to make this game original.

Most of the rest of the world is probably not going to have much impact on the IRR, but it gives the DM something to throw at the players to heat things up a bit. It gives us the possibility to turn our agression outwards to expand abroad while maintaining the peace within, or contesting eachother violently as we build rivalling colonial empires. The gajin could be like Vecna, the Terraakians, Krynn or Athas, something entirely different, or nothing at all.
There's also the possibility that a player that has his faction wiped out can keep playing a part in the IR by going into exile and taking control of some foreign power of appropriate PL.

__
The original list of powers took roughly 6 hours to finish, and re-writing it would take at least 3, I suppose.

It shouldn't take much more than an half an hour. All that is needed is to add a letter and a number before every location and change the order of the locations to make the list more streamlined. The map I'm referring to is by far superior to the other maps I've seen of Rokugan.
__

Lichtenhart

First Post
Serpenteyes, the link I used to use for that map is broken now. I dunno what happened. I had it saved, though; could anyone host it for us?

I'm als against a separated IC and OOC thread, if we keep it in one thread as in my own game and as in all the IR's things will move along a lot faster and are better to keep track of. Higher post rates will increase interest in the game.

It's a very decent game and I'm not giving up on it but I'd like a bit more dynamic stuff and action. I've got a ton of possibilities I'm sitting on and I can't see anything happening with them because things aren't moving. I've almost totally forgot my plans for the future and what PL was supposed to go to what and the math work so I'll have to find out what my concept was again and how much PL was distributed to what.. it fitted somehow...

Knight Otu

First Post
Serpenteye said:
It shouldn't take much more than an half an hour. All that is needed is to add a letter and a number before every location and change the order of the locations to make the list more streamlined. The map I'm referring to is by far superior to the other maps I've seen of Rokugan.

Rembember that there will be other changes, too. Increased PLs and IRs, possibly increased character levels(?), in a few cases new territories...

Remove ads