• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm still confused (epic & spells)

Clefton Twain

First Post
drquestion said:
CT - my interpretation of the material at the epic insights page, as well as the loremaster class would be that these classes, when taken into epic level will continue to give +1 caster level and to give extra spells per day, up to 20th level in the original class - this being a function of the original class's caster level.

Actually, if you look at the text:

"The epic hathran’s caster level increases by 1 per level gained above 10th. The epic hathran’s number of spells per day does not increase after 10th level."

That's the way all of the epic insights classes are phrased.

But the rest of what you said makes total sense. Hopefully that is what it all means. However, it always makes me very dubious when they mention #1 but not #2. Then, in another class, they mention #2 but not #1.

--CT

Aleric

First Post
In other words, my character has two levels of sorcerer and 5 levels of a spellcasting prestige class (a class we call battlemage). He's 15th level right now. If he takes the last 5 levels in battlemage and decides to continue this class beyond 20th level, does he get spells until he's a 20th level caster?

Does this mean you are a 2nd level sorcerer/13th level battlemage? If so, you are already breaking the rules of Epic prestige class. Epic Level Handbook pg. 5-6 "You can also advance the class level of a ten-level prestige class (such as those presented in the DMG) beyond 10th level, but only if your character level is already 20th or higher."

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Clefton Twain

First Post
Not quite...

Aleric said:

Does this mean you are a 2nd level sorcerer/13th level battlemage? If so, you are already breaking the rules of Epic prestige class. Epic Level Handbook pg. 5-6 "You can also advance the class level of a ten-level prestige class (such as those presented in the DMG) beyond 10th level, but only if your character level is already 20th or higher."

Hope this helps a bit. :)

No, he's actually a Ftr/Sor/Battlemage/Stonelord. I just eliminated all the chaff to cut down on confusion, but I think I failed. :)

--CT

Aleric

First Post
Then I would say that the caster level goes up but you must take the improved spell capacity feat to gain the higher level slot.

If you want more spells you'll have to take more levels of sorcerer, or get improved spell capacity enough times so you have 9th level spells and can then get spell knowledge.

Last edited:

drquestion

Explorer
improved spell capacity has as as a prereq being able to cast the normal maximum spell level, so you'd already have to have at least one ninth level spell per day.

i guess i missed that part of the Epic Hathran. it definitely seems like there's some contradiction in the published material on this. hopefully, there'll be a faq or something published on this point. at any rate, you could always take more levels of sorcerer in order to max out your spell progression, but then you'd be losing out on some bonus epic feats.

drquestion

Clefton Twain

First Post
drquestion said:

i guess i missed that part of the Epic Hathran. it definitely seems like there's some contradiction in the published material on this. hopefully, there'll be a faq or something published on this point. at any rate, you could always take more levels of sorcerer in order to max out your spell progression, but then you'd be losing out on some bonus epic feats.

drquestion

The Epic Hathran was just an example I chose to use. Needless to say, all of the epci PrCs in the "epic insights" article say the same thing. Yeah, it's the contradictions (without clear sets of rules as to why) that confuse me.

--CT

Clefton Twain

First Post
Huzzah! An Answer!

Well, I got an answer...it clears up confusion but then adds more.
I emailed the Sage and I'll paraphrase since my question was really lengthy and I don't want to post all the Q's and A's here.

"It depends on the class."

So there you have it. There is no hard and fast rule. If you are extending a prestige class past 10th level I guess it's solely up to you. So there's an answer. There is no rhyme or reason as to whether or not a prestige class gets spells beyond its 10th level. I suppose what I will do now is decide how much on spellcasting a particular prestige class relies. If spellcasting is an integral part of the class, I'll continue the spells/day progression. If not, then it stops.

--CT

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Why not post the whole answer? Most of us would be interested in what the Sage has to say, even if we turn out to disagree.

Clefton Twain

First Post
What I just posted was really the only answer. My question was just horribly lengthy. The Sage's answers consisted of:

Me: If you take a 10-level, spellcasting prestige class into epic levels (11, 12 and so on) does that prestige class continue to progress in spells/day until caster level 20 is reached?

Sage: "It depends on the class."

Sage: "An epic loremaster level increases your caster level. If your caster level was below 20, you'll get more spells per day."
(this is confusing to me because the epic loremaster never says the class *does* or *doesn't* get spells/day after 10th)

Sage: "Once your caster level hits 20, your done with spells per day. You could have caster levels in several different classes."

(I'm left wondering if this includes PrC's or just core classes)

That was pretty much all of it that was pertinent (the rest is stuff we all pretty much already know--you can have 20 caster levels in each class such as Sor20/Wiz20/Clr20 etc.)

--CT

Creamsteak

Explorer
Reading the section on page 8 of the ELH helped me to re-afirm how to understand it.

It's in the wrong place considering how important it is (should be at the front with the other basic stuff), but it helps.

It's under adding a new class... that worked for me at least.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads