How many of you use the Identify material component?

Do you use the material component requirement for Identify?

• Yes, as written

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • No, none required

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I use a variant (describe, please)

Votes: 3 5.1%

Larcen

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:

It's quite a lot higher than that ... nuf said ..

So Agge, you are an offical playtester for WOTC? Kewl. Thru RPGA? How long you been doing that?

Also, you gotta tell me, are they EVER planning on cleaning up the complicated action system? And moreover, what were you playtesters THINKING when you approved it?? ;)

The whole thing reminds of those IBM assembler code programmers who wrote all the tech manuals. Sure, it makes sense to THEM. :)

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, reapersaurus.

AGGEMAM

First Post
I'm playing the mystery note here! So I'll answer the questions in the order they came:

Not currently! No! 1988! What complicated action system ;)! Dunno!

Larcen

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
I'm playing the mystery note here! So I'll answer the questions in the order they came:

Not currently! No! 1988! What complicated action system ;)! Dunno!

You don't do it anymore, eh? Must be cause they needed a team to blame for that action system. :)

RP, regarding your poll, I voted that we use the Identify rules as is. Which is yet one more reason clerics are cool: Free identifies!

Let me tell you, I would hate to pay 100 GPs to identify something that turns out to not be worth much or, worse yet, only has a Nystul’s Magic Aura on it. DMs take note; this a sure fire way to piss your players off.

Last edited:

Taloras

First Post
In our game, we use the material component.....of course, we can generally figure out what an item does first (boots of levitation for example)

reapersaurus

First Post
For those of you who use the spell as written:

How has this impacted your game?

From the couple of responses, it seems that if they had to pay a large fee each time, than they would not have enough wealth for their level, or it would just be a money drain.
If there are no more pearls in the area, doesn't that effectively remove the spell from your game?
What benefit do you get when the players can't Identify their magic items?

Vanye

Explorer
Larcen said:
RP, regarding your poll, I voted that we use the Identify rules as is. Which is yet one more reason clerics are cool: Free identifies!

Uhm, how? Clerics still have to do material components for spells, so I don't see how it's free...?

Vanye

Explorer
My variant

Changes I've made:

- Casting time is one action.
- Duration is 1 round per level of the caster.
- Still only get the basic power of the item in question, but you can use a second Identify attempt to try and determine if the item has additional properties or not.

I keep the component, though. :)

Skaros

First Post
We use the rules as written, and have had no problem (approaching 8th lvl campaign now).

Identify is cheap, and gives you one piece of knowledge on the item...enough for potions and minor magic items.

It also leaves some of the mystery in the more involved magic items that are found, and encourages players to sometimes try using them before they get a chance to pay to have them fully identified. Fun.

Anyway, I think the rules as is are more than adequate.

Also, we're not in a pure hack and slash campaign, and the GM leaves the story up to the players (player driven campaign) for the most part....if it were more hack and slash I imagine we'd expand the powers of identify or make analyze dweomer cheaper or something to take out the "extraneous" non-combat time.

-Skaros

Joust

First Post
I try to avoid having too many house rules, but when my players told me in our last session that Identify would take hours to cast, my reply was, "From now on, it's 8 minutes." Identifying magic items for experienced magic-users should be a simple process--3e seems to make the experience far too tedious.

Remove ads