How many of you use the Identify material component?

Do you use the material component requirement for Identify?

• Yes, as written

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • No, none required

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I use a variant (describe, please)

Votes: 3 5.1%

reapersaurus

First Post
I seem to remember this being asked before, but I thought I'd ask:
Do you guys use the material component for the 1st-level Identify spell for the 100-gp pearl?

I seem to remember that many people thought it was an excessive cost to Identify one aspect of an item.

Between the cost and the time required, wouldn't this spell as written make it inordinantly difficult to discover the powers of most of the magic items they possess/encounter?

AGGEMAM

First Post
I think you should maintain the written cost, remember there are other ways of identifying magic items, such as maximizing your spellcraft skill.

nsruf

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
I think you should maintain the written cost, remember there are other ways of identifying magic items, such as maximizing your spellcraft skill.

This will at best tell you the school of magic involved, won't it?

The thing that irks me most about identify is not the cost or time involved but the limited knowledge. And analyze dweomer is a huge step up in power - hard to get even for mid-level parties.

BTW, a cleric with the magic domain can use identify (as 2nd level spell, though) without the pearl, IIRC.

jontherev

First Post
I think Identifying items is one of the worst thought out rules of 3E. 8 hours to cast a spell is absurd. As written, you could conceivably spend half the campaign running around figuring out how magic items work or waiting for the wizard to memorize Identify the next day just so you can find one ability on each item. It's just too tedious. Sure, it could be fun and interesting to roleplay figuring out an occasional item, but not every session. As for the question, we do use the material component, but only because I'm not the DM.:D Personally, I would completely change the Identifying system...probably have an attunement skill for Bards and wizards.

AGGEMAM

First Post
nsruf said:
This will at best tell you the school of magic involved, won't it?

No. The Epic Level Handbook will give you that oppertunity.

EDIT: Ups.

And btw, in FR 25% of all magic items are self identifying.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
I find identifying magic items to be one of the most tedious parts of 3e, and something I've house-ruled. The identify spell only takes 1 hour in my game, not 8. It seems ridiculous to have to tell my players that they'll need to set aside several days to identify the three magic items that are inherently obvious to them (+1 bracers, +1 ring of protection and a ring of water-walking, for example).

The try-it-and-see method can get old, fast, and eventually becomes ludicrous. Overall, it takes away from the fun, and doesn't really add much, IMHO.

Larcen

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:

No. The Epic Level Handbook will give you that oppertunity. ...

Not to start trouble, Aggemam, but I don't understand your point.

How can you say "No."...and then go on to mention that the reason is because of a rule in a book that is not even out yet?

For NOW, the answer is "YES", that's all Identify can do.

Magic Rub

First Post
As per the spell.

When in large cities we have a house rule that you can gennerally find a sage/mage or some type of magic mucky-muck who will tell you what an item does for a small (large) fee.

Malin Genie

First Post
We use the rule as written. The seacoast village that my wizard visited found themselves cleaned out of valuable pearls, but much richer in gold!

Having said that, once the "one most basic" power is known, I can generally make Knowledge(Arcana) checks to try to extrapolate other powers, if any.

Voadam

Legend
One of my PCs cheered when he saw the 3e material components for identify. His exact words were "No more live carp!"

Remove ads