• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hill Giant errata from the sage....

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I fired off a letter to the sage about the Cha score. It is 7, not 17. Here ya go:

"Hill giants have a Charisma of 17 listed in the MM. I am assuming this is a typo as it does not fall into line with the rest of the giants. It should be "Cha 11" correct?

SAGE:
The correct Charisma score is 7. "

Crothian

First Post
There goes my sorcerer Hill Giant, but on the good side I guess my wife didn't run off with the Hill Giant after all. Hopefully, that will become official errata at some point. :rolleyes:

Wolf72

Explorer
you can still have a sorcerer hill giant ... just use the base NPC stats from the DMG then add in the modifiers ... oh wait that'll only get you a CHA 11 ... um then give it a higher stat in cha ... a hill giant sorc would make a great npc.

Crothian

First Post
Wolf72 said:
you can still have a sorcerer hill giant ... just use the base NPC stats from the DMG then add in the modifiers ... oh wait that'll only get you a CHA 11 ... um then give it a higher stat in cha ... a hill giant sorc would make a great npc.

I had one in my first campaign and it was great. It took a while for the PCto realize the spells were coming from a Hill Giant (and that 17 base Cha was really helpful).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Wolf72 said:

It certainly would. And the monsters in the MM are generally the weakest, most common version of that monster.

If you stat them out like a PC using point buy, they are generally build on 14 or 15 points. Up that to the points you use for PC's in your game, and you can get a pretty nasty sorcer.

Average Hill Giant stats:

Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7

This give us stat mods (with size modifiers included) of:

Str + 14, Dex -2, Con +8, Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -4

25 point buy Hill Giant Sorcerer at 1st level ( 3 points on Dex, 6 points on Int, and 16 points on Cha):

Str 22, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 10, Cha 14

As an 8th level sorcerer he could have a 16 Cha, and give him the Eagle's Splendor spell so he can pump it up to 20 for 8 hours at a time...

He might be considered a CR 15 encounter, with the appropriate spells. (CR 7 for a hill giant, +8 for eight levels of sorcerer.)

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Caliban said:

It certainly would. And the monsters in the MM are generally the weakest, most common version of that monster.

real stats (v avg) for > orcs ... kobolds ... ogre's ... ogre Magi ...

don't forget fiendish and 1/2 stuff, then a whole slew of things from the MotP ...

ah the power of the PHb, DMG and MM :)

Remove ads