Hill Giant errata from the sage....

James McMurray

First Post
Caliban said:

He might be considered a CR 13 encounter, with the appropriate spells. (CR 7 for a hill giant, +8 for eight levels of sorcerer.)

Wouldn't that be CR15? Maybe even 15 1/2 or 16 considering you've upped the stats as well. Heck even just haste plus True Striking Power attacks is gonna make this guy mean. Tack on the defenseive spells to boost his AC through the roof, and you've got a nasty foe.

alsih2o

First Post
thanks a lot grattz, 'preciate the effort...it was bothering me, even though i took the opportunity to bug my plyers with a hill giant sorcerer

Gez

First Post
Poor hill giant sorcerers ! They got the shaft ! Hapifully, they can still take the Spellcasting Prodigy feat to boost their Charisma by two points.

At creation: 18 "rolled" for Charisma. According to the DMG, a 18 for a -4 race becomes a 12 (rather than a 14). This is pumped up to 14 by SCP. With 8 levels of sorcerer, he can augment this to 16, and should have enough loot to have a Cloak of Charisma +2 at least.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Gez said:
Poor hill giant sorcerers ! They got the shaft ! Hapifully, they can still take the Spellcasting Prodigy feat to boost their Charisma by two points.

At creation: 18 "rolled" for Charisma. According to the DMG, a 18 for a -4 race becomes a 12 (rather than a 14).

If you roll. I was using point buy, and thus do not use that table in the PHB. (That table really doesn't make much sense to me anyway. -4 is enough of a penalty, that table effectively turns it into a -6.)

doktorstick

First Post
Caliban said:
Average Hill Giant stats:
Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7

This give us stat mods (with size modifiers included) of:
Str + 15, Dex -2, Con +8, Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -4

25 point buy Hill Giant Sorcerer at 1st level ( 3 points on Dex, 6 points on Int, and 16 points on Cha):
Str 23, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 10, Cha 14

I didn't follow. Could you explain these numbers, please? Thanks.

Cheers,
/ds

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
doktorstick said:

I didn't follow. Could you explain these numbers, please? Thanks.

Cheers,
/ds

If you want to generate the racial modifiers from the average stats listed in the Monster Manual, subtract 10 from the stat if it's even, and 11 if it's odd.

A stat of 25 is odd, so (25-11) = +14 modifier.

A stat of 7 is odd, so (7-11) = -4 modifier.

A stat of 16 is even, so (16-10) = +6 modifier.

The costs for generating stats with point buy are on page 20 of the DMG.

James McMurray

First Post
Caliban said:

If you roll. I was using point buy, and thus do not use that table in the PHB. (That table really doesn't make much sense to me anyway. -4 is enough of a penalty, that table effectively turns it into a -6.)

What table is this? Sounds pretty silly to me. Of course, I've always used point buy, so it doesn't really matter. I'm still curious though.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
James McMurray said:

What table is this? Sounds pretty silly to me. Of course, I've always used point buy, so it doesn't really matter. I'm still curious though.

It's actually in the DMG, not the PHB. On page 23.

doktorstick

First Post
A hill giant sorceror1 would be CR8, right? Do you think four 5th-level chars could defeat it--1 fighter, 1 mage, 1 cleric, and 1 rogue? I don't. At least not without multiple deaths. (And I don't mean contrived situations--say a random encounter.) A +3 difference in CR (or more aptly named EL) is well within the bounds of a good encounter for PCs.

It seems that the damage dealt would blow through the characters before the giant's 100 HP were whittled away. The giant might know true strike really helping on the +14 to Power Attack. Or maybe shield.

Heh.

/ds

Last edited:

Remove ads