Hill Giant errata from the sage....

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I fired off a letter to the sage about the Cha score. It is 7, not 17. Here ya go:

"Hill giants have a Charisma of 17 listed in the MM. I am assuming this is a typo as it does not fall into line with the rest of the giants. It should be "Cha 11" correct?

SAGE:
The correct Charisma score is 7. "

Crothian

First Post
There goes my sorcerer Hill Giant, but on the good side I guess my wife didn't run off with the Hill Giant after all. Hopefully, that will become official errata at some point. :rolleyes:

Wolf72

Explorer
you can still have a sorcerer hill giant ... just use the base NPC stats from the DMG then add in the modifiers ... oh wait that'll only get you a CHA 11 ... um then give it a higher stat in cha ... a hill giant sorc would make a great npc.

Crothian

First Post
Wolf72 said:
you can still have a sorcerer hill giant ... just use the base NPC stats from the DMG then add in the modifiers ... oh wait that'll only get you a CHA 11 ... um then give it a higher stat in cha ... a hill giant sorc would make a great npc.

I had one in my first campaign and it was great. It took a while for the PCto realize the spells were coming from a Hill Giant (and that 17 base Cha was really helpful).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Wolf72 said:

It certainly would. And the monsters in the MM are generally the weakest, most common version of that monster.

If you stat them out like a PC using point buy, they are generally build on 14 or 15 points. Up that to the points you use for PC's in your game, and you can get a pretty nasty sorcer.

Average Hill Giant stats:

Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7

This give us stat mods (with size modifiers included) of:

Str + 14, Dex -2, Con +8, Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -4

25 point buy Hill Giant Sorcerer at 1st level ( 3 points on Dex, 6 points on Int, and 16 points on Cha):

Str 22, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 10, Cha 14

As an 8th level sorcerer he could have a 16 Cha, and give him the Eagle's Splendor spell so he can pump it up to 20 for 8 hours at a time...

He might be considered a CR 15 encounter, with the appropriate spells. (CR 7 for a hill giant, +8 for eight levels of sorcerer.)

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Caliban said:

It certainly would. And the monsters in the MM are generally the weakest, most common version of that monster.

real stats (v avg) for > orcs ... kobolds ... ogre's ... ogre Magi ...

don't forget fiendish and 1/2 stuff, then a whole slew of things from the MotP ...

ah the power of the PHb, DMG and MM :)

Remove ads