D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Mad Hatter

Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? In other words we’ve a great addition to Epic Monsters today: the Mad Hatter!

Mad Hatter DnD 5E BANNER.jpg

In Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland the protagonist stumbles upon the Mad Hatter amidst a tea party with the March Hare and the Dormouse. He is in fact always having tea, stuck by Time forever so as to avoid decapitation for trying to sing in front of the Queen of Hearts. As his name implies, he is very eccentric and nonsensical, acting with very little rhyme or reason. Later on he briefly appears in the trial of the Knave of Hearts as a witness, and then in the sequel (when interpreting the character of “Hatta” as the Mad Hatter) as a messenger of the White King and convict of crimes-to-be-committed.

Note: We’ve got the Cheshire Cat too! Also the term “mad hatter” originated in the textile industry (including hat making) where exposure to mercury often led to a variety of ailments. The afflicted were often sent to asylums where they would farm, put on plays, and yes—have tea parties. Also a reminder that we’ve got an Easter Bunny and a far-superior build on my website (so we’ve technically got LOTS of Easter Bunnies.)

Design Notes: The following statistics seem pretty simple on the outset because they’re short, but this is probably the most complicated entry yet. So the Mad Hatter here is like a Schroedinger’s Box-monster: he’s only really moved through and to a space after he’s moved through one of two routes, which he chooses at the beginning of each turn. To effectively fight him, adventurers need to be anticipating and targeting both his potential routes! It is strongly recommended that this NPC only be used in fights by himself or with very limited, very simple creatures alongside him. Let’s do the numbers! The DMG came in at 6.25, the Blog of Holding at 7.4, and together that rounds out to Challenge Rating 6. Fortunately he’s not dealing a ton of damage so should make for an interesting boss fight tier 1 play! :D

Mad Hatter

Medium humanoid, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 78 (12d8+24)
Speed 30 ft.
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
8 (–1)​
21 (+5)​
15 (+2)​
15 (+2)​
8 (–1)​
18 (+4)​
Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +5, Wis +2
Skills Acrobatics +8, Persuasion +10; cook’s utensils +6
Damage Resistances psychic
Condition Immunities charmed, stunned
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages English
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Evasion. When the Mad Hatter makes a Dexterity saving throw to reduce the damage of a spell or attack, on a success he takes no damage and on a failure he takes half damage.

Here and There (Recharge 5–6). At the start of the Mad Hatter’s turn, he chooses a square within 30 feet of the square he began his most recent turn in, teleporting to that square. Everything that occurred to the Mad Hatter since the beginning of his last turn changes based on which position he chooses to have been in.
The Mad Hatter regains a number of hit points equal to the damage he’s taken since the beginning of his last turn so long as an attack or spell is not within reach of his new location, and any conditions or effects inflicted since the beginning of his last turn are removed. The Mad Hatter’s new path of movement provokes opportunity attacks and damages him if any effect would have, as if he had taken this movement normally.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The Mad Hatter makes three cup of tea attacks.

Cup of Tea. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d4+5) fire damage.

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

dave2008

Legend
Interesting and strange little hatter. I do have one suggestion (don't I usually): For Here and There I would suggested a fixed HP regain. As a DM I don't want to have to keep track of turn by turn damage on top of total damage. Also, I am not sure what that idea adds to the narrative?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Interesting and strange little hatter. I do have one suggestion (don't I usually): For Here and There I would suggested a fixed HP regain. As a DM I don't want to have to keep track of turn by turn damage on top of total damage. Also, I am not sure what that idea adds to the narrative?
The idea is a quantum mechanic—he's in both places at once until he decides which one he's in—because the Mad Hatter is buddies with Time, which is who/what is keeping him out of the Queen of Heart's clutches.
I should've said Schrödinger's cat, not box (although a box is involved in the thought experiment). Either path of movement the Mad Hatter takes (and the damage therein) happens but also, depending on how the quantum event resolves (his choice of position) it doesn't happen. It is a frustrating concept that makes for a unique fight, both of which I figured are appropriate for this maddening fellow.

dave2008

Legend
The idea is a quantum mechanic—he's in both places at once until he decides which one he's in—because the Mad Hatter is buddies with Time, which is who/what is keeping him out of the Queen of Heart's clutches.
I should've said Schrödinger's cat, not box (although a box is involved in the thought experiment). Either path of movement the Mad Hatter takes (and the damage therein) happens but also, depending on how the quantum event resolves (his choice of position) it doesn't happen. It is a frustrating concept that makes for a unique fight, both of which I figured are appropriate for this maddening fellow.
The damaged regained is based on his last turn, not where he may or may not go in this turn. I'm not suggesting you change how he does or does not get the regen, just use a fixed number. I don't under stand how the following is anything but easier on the DM:

Here and There (Recharge 5–6). At the start of the Mad Hatter’s turn, he chooses a square within 30 feet of the square he began his most recent turn in, teleporting to that square. He regains 10 hit points so long as an attack or spell is not within reach of his new location, and any conditions or effects inflicted since the beginning of his last turn are removed. The Mad Hatter’s new path of movement provokes opportunity attacks and damages him if any effect would have, as if he had taken this movement normally.

Mike Myler

The damaged regained is based on his last turn, not where he may or may not go in this turn. I'm not suggesting you change how he does or does not get the regen, just use a fixed number. I don't under stand how the following is anything but easier on the DM:

Here and There (Recharge 5–6). At the start of the Mad Hatter’s turn, he chooses a square within 30 feet of the square he began his most recent turn in, teleporting to that square. He regains 10 hit points so long as an attack or spell is not within reach of his new location, and any conditions or effects inflicted since the beginning of his last turn are removed. The Mad Hatter’s new path of movement provokes opportunity attacks and damages him if any effect would have, as if he had taken this movement normally.
I got that, but disagree that the simplicity is worth compromising the narrative of what's going on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. With that change, if the Mad Hatter chooses a movement that makes it so he doesn't take a critical hit that dealt 20 points of damage, he would start his next turn with 10 fewer hit points. Is that right?

dave2008

Legend
I got that, but disagree that the simplicity is worth compromising the narrative of what's going on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. With that change, if the Mad Hatter chooses a movement that makes it so he doesn't take a critical hit that dealt 20 points of damage, he would start his next turn with 10 fewer hit points. Is that right?
Dang, it took me quite a bit of time to figure out your example. However, after writing and rewriting a response, my answer is, yes. Also, if he took 5 hp, he would regain 10 (to be clear 10 was just a number I pulled out of air).

However, it is more clear to me what your trying to do. You are suggesting the previous turn didn't happen by removing all the damage from that turn, is that correct?

Mike Myler

Dang, it took me quite a bit of time to figure out your example. However, after writing and rewriting a response, my answer is, yes. Also, if he took 5 hp, he would regain 10 (to be clear 10 was just a number I pulled out of air).

However, it is more clear to me what your trying to do. You are suggesting the previous turn didn't happen by removing all the damage from that turn, is that correct?
Precisely. He both was there and wasn't there.

(It's quite mad right?)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases