• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects that can make an incorporeal undead corporeal?

sukael

First Post
Are there any spells that can make an incorporeal undead turn corporeal, at least for a limited amount of time?

Alternately, any magic items that can provide this effect?

Last edited:

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Use the Force, of Course

If you can manage to pull it off, casting mage armor on an incorporeal creature renders it incapable of passing through walls.

Also, since mage armor is a force effect, I don't believe the 50% miss chance applies.

However, the target does get a Will save to negate.

Also, this does not render the creature corporeal; it merely limits the full extent of its incorporeality. ;)

Last edited:

sukael

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
If you can manage to pull it off, casting mage armor on an incorporeal creature renders it incapable of passing through walls.

Also, since mage armor is a force effect, I don't believe the 50% miss chance applies.

However, the creature does get a Will save to negate.

Also, this does not render the creature fully corporeal; it merely limits the full extent of its incorporeality. ;)

Now there's an idea...

Part of the problem here is that I'm specifically trying to make the incorporeal creature corporeal for story reasons, rather than just fighting it (which is why ghost touch weapons and similar aren't really of use).

The Thayan Menace

First Post
How About a Spectral Mage?

I don't know how useful this is, but have you thought about using the spectral mage template from the Magic of Faerun (pp. 189-190)?

Even though spectral mages cannot fully interact with the physical world, they are capable of minor acts of telekinesis (the equivalent of a mage hand spell) on a regular basis.

sukael

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
What do you need it to be able to do?

Well, part of the problem with the whole setup is that it doesn't want to be corporeal...

It's a long story, mainly having to do with hauntings of a particular person.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
A Little Plane-Breaching Music if You Please ....

You could always have the PCs encounter your incorporeal undead in a region that has a complete planar breach effect from the ethereal plane. Then, they could deal with it in a fully corporeal fashion.

sukael

First Post
Like I said, it's for story reasons... it has to do with the person that the creature normally haunts, who has no way to normally face it herself...

Remove ads