• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects that can make an incorporeal undead corporeal?

sukael

First Post
IcyCool said:
You seem to have some real agression towards this DM, why is that? I'm pretty certain that any talk of DM stubborness or railroading has come from you, not the OP.

I'm happy to join in a bout of Bad DM bashing, but shouldn't we make sure the DM is bad first? ;)

This entire plot was, incidentally, basically done on-the-fly, as I don't think the DM had expected us to even get interested in this female PC in the first place.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Why Can't She See the Stupid Ghost?

IcyCool said:
I'm happy to join in a bout of Bad DM bashing, but shouldn't we make sure the DM is bad first? ;)
Good point, but why can't this NPC see the ghost?

1. If this spectral blindness is a magical condition, it can be dispelled or otherwise removed.

2. If it is due to insanity, she can be cured.

I don't understand why the players haven't simply solved this.

The only conclusion I can come to, at this point, is that their DM made up some non-specified condition that is immune to magic in order to frustrate them.

Last edited:

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Poor DM Improvisation

sukael said:
This entire plot was, incidentally, basically done on-the-fly, as I don't think the DM had expected us to even get interested in this female PC in the first place.
If it's a makeshift plot, just do whetever you feel is right. If it gets difficult, just bail ... there's no reason to agonize over this.

sukael

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
Good point, but why can't this NPC see the ghost?

1. If this spectral blindness is a magical condition, it can be dispelled or otherwise removed.
2. If it is due to insanity, she can be cured.

I don't understand why the players haven't simply solved this.

The only conclusion I can come to at this point is that their DM made up some non-specified condition that is immune to magic.

That's kind of a cheap shot if you ask me.

I think that most of the other people on the board would agree with me here in saying that mental block =/= insanity, and that it could just as well be a unique supernatural ability (HELLO, HE'S A GHOST, AND NOT ALL MONSTERS ARE EXACTLY BY THE BOOK).

The Thayan Menace said:
If it's a makeshift plot, just do whetever you feel is right. If it gets difficult, just bail ... there's no reason to agonize over this.

...by this point, YOU seem to be agonizing over it a lot more than I AM.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Later ....

sukael said:
(HELLO, HE'S A GHOST, AND NOT ALL MONSTERS ARE EXACTLY BY THE BOOK).
Good point; you don't need to shout, by the way. :confused:

Well, your DM does indeed have the right to make his monsters as wicked as he/she desires.

I hope this ghost's CR reflects the difficulty of dealing with him, though I doubt it will.

Furthermore, if your DM does not give you XP for handling the ghost and restoring the NPC's self-esteem, then you are getting robbed.

Anyways, I've given you my two cents ... now, I'm off to Los Angeles.

Happy ghost hunting.

sukael

First Post
I have no doubt that we'll be getting the XP--he's certainly a fair DM. Plus, we'll likely end up with an influential, powerful figure of the criminal underground as a contact...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads