• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynasties & Demagogues: Retail Penetration?

haiiro

First Post
Here you go:

1. My FLGS got it in as soon as it was available (which they do in nearly all cases). Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti (Michigan) only has one gaming store of note, The Underworld, and it's an excellent store. There's also a Rider's Hobby or two (not well run or well stocked, IMO -- no idea if they have Dyn&Dem) and several chain bookstores that have a haphazard gaming selection (Borders, Waldenbooks, etc. -- and I don't know if they carry it either).

2. They displayed it on their rack of new releases, which is the first thing you see when you enter the store. The rack is at least 75% d20 products, all placed so that you can see 3/4 of the cover (and set side by side). Dyn&Dem shared the shelf with about 25 other books. Once it moved off the new releases shelf, it joined the rest of the d20 pool on the general shelves (only spines visible as they have a lot of product).

3. The manager at my FLGS who I spoke to the most often about d20 books isn't there anymore, and most of the employees aren't pushy about products (and they also sell comics, minis, TCGs, anime, etc.), so I'd be unlikely to hear about any new goodies from them. (I generally know what's coming down the pipeline anyway.)

4. I've skimmed a review on these boards, but not gone out of my way to look for others.

It looks like a pretty impressive book, although not really my kind of thing (as far as I can tell). :)

Nine Hands

Explorer
1. Yes, the Wizard's Tower, Nashua, NH
2. In with the new releases, they keep new stuff out in front for a couple of weeks, then it all goes back into the "pile" with the other stuff.
3. Yes, my wife works there and we are both aware of the book. I have not purchased it yet, money is tight right now, but plan on it.
4. I have not heard much from someone (Storminator) who bought the book, but he picked it up last week.

drnuncheon

Explorer
1. Yep (Game Masters, Pittsburgh, PA)

2. Last time I was in there, they had a couple of copies on their 'New Release' shelf, right by the door.

3. No - although I think he knew I knew about it when I picked it up and started thumbing through.

4. Only my wife, who said "That sounds really interesting."

Tuerny

First Post
1. Sci-Fi City. I saw one copy and I grabbed it today.

2. I was in the d20 section with its face towards the walkway.

3. Didn't talk to the staffers. Went straight for the book.

4. Yeah, they talked about it both here and www.rpg.net. Both spoke highly of it.

Werther von G

First Post
1. Yes. And you can see it in the sig.
2. Window display, new release rack. Will go to the d20 section when the time comes.
3. I've been known to recommend it to incoming customers.
4. The rpg.net review.

Yeoman

First Post
1. Have you seen Dynasties & Demagogues at any of your local bookstores or game stores? If so, which ones? If not, are there stores that you know are definitely not carrying the book?

Yes, Rider's Hobby of Shelby Township, MI.

2. If you've seen Dynasties at a local store, where and how has it been displayed?

Back corner of the store with the d20 material, mixed on a shelf with Gurps.

3. Do the staff members of your local stores seem to be aware of the book? Have any of them recommended the book or shown other enthusiasm for it?

Not that I know of, but they have no real knowledge of d20 games.

4. Have you seen any reviews of the book, or heard recommendations about it?

Just the ones on this site.

Lizard

Explorer
1. Have you seen Dynasties & Demagogues at any of your local bookstores or game stores? If so, which ones? If not, are there stores that you know are definitely not carrying the book?

It was available at GameScape in San Francsico.

2. If you've seen Dynasties at a local store, where and how has it been displayed?

When I bought it, it was moved to the Wall-o-D20, where it was displayed cover-out.

3. Do the staff members of your local stores seem to be aware of the book? Have any of them recommended the book or shown other enthusiasm for it?

The staff members at my FLGS spend most of their time playing clicky games on the counter.

4. Have you seen any reviews of the book, or heard recommendations about it?

I've heard lots of glowing raves from people on ENWorld and RPG.net. I actually avoided buying it earlier because I misinterpreted what it was about and because I was working on a product dealing with what I thought it was about and wanted to avoid 'polluting' myself, accidently using someone else's ideas as my own. Once I learned what it was really about, I could get my grubby paws on it fast enough. To quote Igor:"It must be mine!"

And now it is. Glee!

d20books

Rise of the Gamerati
From an Internet Retailer

I'm a big fan of the Atlas Games Penumbra. As a result, Dynasties and Demigogues was on my pre-order list from the beginning.

The penetration of this book really seems to be dependent on the type of players and the type of games that are popular in an area.

If you are into "Roll-Playing" and D20 Fantasy is simply a tactical game set on squares than on hexes, Dynasties and Demigogues is not the book for you.

For me and my customers, it is a very good book focused on political intrigue and role-playing opportunities. Add this on top of my Penumbra fan base, this book was a no-brainer.

Morrow

First Post
Let's here it for market research.

1. Yes, I saw it in Pandemonium Books & Games in Cambridge, MA.

2. On the new releases shelf. The full cover was visable.

3. While I was browsing a store employee was recomending Dynasties to a customer. He had clearly read the book and could provide a helpful synopsis and analysis of its contents.

4. Just here on ENWorld.

Crothian

First Post
Just like to chime in and say that this is one really good book. I just got finished reading it, and I think it covers the topic nicely in the bounds of a typically D&D game.

Remove ads