• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynasties & Demagogues: Retail Penetration?

JoeGKushner

First Post
1. Have you seen Dynasties & Demagogues at any of your local bookstores or game stores? If so, which ones? If not, are there stores that you know are definitely not carrying the book?

http://www.games-plus.com/

2. If you've seen Dynasties at a local store, where and how has it been displayed?

They have it physically placed with their new material. It will be moved to the back shortly however with the rest of the hardcover books in a seperate section.

3. Do the staff members of your local stores seem to be aware of the book? Have any of them recommended the book or shown other enthusiasm for it?

They may be aware of it but no comment on the past two as they know me and know I'm pretty much a straight arrow guy who doesn't need any help with buying.

4. Have you seen any reviews of the book, or heard recommendations about it?

Yes over here, RPG.net, and of course, the Atlas Forum.

Samothdm

First Post
Dynasties & Demagogues in Pasadena, CA

1. Yes, I saw two copies at Game Zone in Pasadena, CA.

I actually went there specifically to look for it since I'd read all the pre-press stuff about it.

2. They had the two copies on their "new items" shelf display. As you walk into the store, the new items shelf display is immediately in front of you. About 90% of the items are d20 stuff despite the fact that the store also sells minis, card games, and other RPGs.

Dynasties & Demagogues was to the upper left hand side. The shelf display is about 4 feet wide and about maybe 7.5 feet tall.

3. I unfortunately didn't ask them but my experience has been that they are pretty unaware of d20 stuff in general as they spend most of their time playing CCGs.

4. Yes, I've seen links to reviews here on the home page of ENWorld.

FYI, after I left the store they only had one copy of Dynasties & Demagogues left. :)

Question: What's up with the binding? Both copies that were at the Game Zone wouldn't even close. If you lay the book down on a table, the cover doesn't lie flat - it rests at about a 30 degree angle. I know you don't have any control over that - just curious if your copies are like that, too. I haven't noticed a similar problem with other hardbacks in the Penumbra line.

Storminator

First Post
My FLGS had it, but they have everything.

It was in with the new material, and they'll likely order a few more, now that they're sold out. (I got the last one). In another few days they'll move it to the old stuff shelf.

The managers I talked to didn't really know anything about it, but since I game with one of them, they do now! Our game is probably going to use a lot of it. It turns out my priest of Bane is perfectly built to take advantage of a lot of the rules :D

I've seen reviews and press releases, and I get Gaming Frontiers, which had a nice excerpt. Any one of these sources would have sold me, and all three together was just too much!

PS

Turjan

Explorer
1. No. Haven't looked at Game Depot yet, though; they usually have everything ;).

2. n/a

3. No, my local WotC store shows a big effort to get rid off all d20 products at the moment. Everything's 70% off (Book of the Righteous or Nyambe, anyone?;))

4. Yes, here at EN World.

Nathal

Explorer
The book is on Amazon. All of my LGS suck...they don't special order and they ignore you as they play games while you shop.

Ashy

First Post
3. No, my local WotC store shows a big effort to get rid off all d20 products at the moment. Everything's 70% off (Book of the Righteous or Nyambe, anyone?;))

WOW! That might just be too good to pass up! Do they still have them in stock? :)

kingpaul

First Post
  1. yes, Books Galore in Erie, PA.
  2. the first week it came out, it, along with all the other d20 new releases, gets displayed so that you can see the cover completely. After a week, it goes in a set of boxes, alphabetized by publishers.
  3. no, no
  4. you mean other than the one's here? then no.

CCamfield

First Post
Went to the FLGS today (that's Fandom II in Ottawa) and they had one copy in the new releases rack.

I didn't ask, but considering they maintain stock of the Penumbra line, I expect that means they got in 3 or 4 and have sold the rest.

Samothdm, I've had trouble with other Penumbra line books like that. It seems to be due to the glue drying out. Take a look at this post by John Nephew on the Atlas boards about how to fix your books:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=atlasgames&msg=158.1

Turjan, even though I live in Canada, if you're willing to pick something up from that store... is the email address you have listed your current one? :)

Last edited:

JohnNephew

First Post
Re: Dynasties & Demagogues in Pasadena, CA

Samothdm said:
Question: What's up with the binding? Both copies that were at the Game Zone wouldn't even close. If you lay the book down on a table, the cover doesn't lie flat - it rests at about a 30 degree angle. I know you don't have any control over that - just curious if your copies are like that, too. I haven't noticed a similar problem with other hardbacks in the Penumbra line.

Hrm. I hadn't noticed this problem on copies of Dynasties yet. We did have the problem with some hardcovers earlier this year (and had the printer take them back and fix them), and it seemed like our latest two books (Dynasties and the new Unknown Armies sourcebook, Break Today) weren't showing any warping.

It seems to be an epidemic hitting game publishers. I was at the enormous 10th Anniversary Party at the Source Comics and Games this weekend, and noticed that the stack of Urban Arcana books had warping covers.

If you follow Chris's link, you can learn how to do-it-yourself make books de-warp.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
I picked up Dynasties here in Kansas City at Table Top.

I wasn't referred to it by anyone, but that means little, as I had every intention of picking it up anyway.

I believe I bought 1 of 4 or so copies that they had. When last I was in, the other copies were gone.

I also have the same problem with the binding, but that amounts to very little of a problem, more of a minor annoyance really.

I have seen no reviews.

My overall impression is mixed. While it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, nor do I think I will make any real use of it, I can recognize it as a very well put together product. It was intuitively laid out, and there is some really good source material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads