Donning armor

Saxit

First Post
Anyone here who got any experience with wearing a full plate?
My DM insists that it takes 40 minutes to don a full plate, anyone got any realistic take on this?
/Saxit

Macbrea

First Post
Like stated the rules give a 4 minute time.

Having put on a set of full plate before I can tell you that is a very generous time frame. But 40 minutes is a tad extreme.

The set i put on broke down to about this.

30 seconds to put on chainmail shirt
1 minute to put on sollets (boots)
1 minute to put on greaves
1 minute to put on vambraces
1 minute to put on breastplate
30 seconds to put on tasses (a belt that protects upper leg and groin area)
30 second to put on gorget
30 seconds to put on helmet
1 minute to tie on helmet
30 second to put on gauntlets

So, it takes me about 7 and half minutes to put on a full suit of plate mail if I am rushed. To put it on comfortably I would double those times.

Technically, by DnD standards I only have put on Plate Mail armor. As its is very hot in central florida I wouldn't want to actually risk fighting in Full plate armor.

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
That was alone. As the pieces were layed out prior to my starting though. So, that might be somewhat of a factor in the speed at which I did it.

I would hate to have to start with a equipment bag and suddenly have to put on the armor. I would say I couldn't really effectly do it in under a half hour with it being on confortably.

Last edited:

Saxit

First Post
What if you would have had help then?
And what if you were a trained knight who put on armor like this since childhood?
Half an hour is still 300 rounds ;)
/Saxit

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
My advice is to put the "Called" enchantment on your armor as soon as possible.

It cuts to time needed to don a suit of full plate from 4 minutes to ~3 seconds (a standard action). Any time you need your armor, you just speak the command word and *poof*, you're suited up. :)

"Called" is only a +1 enchantment. It can be found on page 23 of Defenders of the Faith.

Macbrea

First Post
To give you an idea how these where designed

chainmail shirt - Loose fitting shirt that pulls over like any T-shirt very easy to get on. A pain to take off.

sollets (boots) - A pair of overshoes that just go around your tops of your feet strapped on with a standard belt strap and buckle

greaves - a Two piece metal sections hinged on one side with a pair of leather buckles on the inner sides

vambraces - Same as Greaves but for arms

breastplate - a back and breastplate with two side buckles on the left side

tasses - a standard weightlifters belt with metal plates hanging off of it.

gorget - leather collar with overlaying plates a standard belt buckle strap on the left side.

helmet - grilled helmet with a leather thong hanging off both sides. The leather thong must be tied down in order to keep the helmet from falling off your head if you get hit in the side of the head.

gauntlets - a standard pair of leather work gloves with metal plates riveted to the outside of the fingers. Large sections of metal on the back of the hands. Pretty much put on just like leather work gloves.

The last time I got into plate mail was about 10 years ago when I was fighting with ratan..

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
Game wise I would just go with the numbers listed in the Rule book as those assume that the person is going to just put on the armor and not worry about how it feels. Many things in this game are slightly unrealistic and putting armor should just be counted as one of them. I would not want to be struck by 10 arrows either but who is counting.

Remove ads