OSR Dolmenwood Books

Scanning through the book last night, I found that high-level Dolmenwood “thieves” do not have the ability to cast spells from scrolls.

In addition to changing the class name (probably to “Delver” or “Dungeoneer” or simply, “Adventurer”), I plan to houserule this ability back into the class.

Merriam-Webster definition #2 of “adventurer”:
(somewhat old-fashioned) : one who seeks unmerited wealth or position especially by playing on the credulity or prejudice of others

Definition # 1:
: someone who seeks dangerous or exciting experiences : a person who looks for adventures: such as
a
: SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
b
: one who engages in risky commercial enterprises for profit

Etymology
ADVENTURE entry 1 or ADVENTURE entry 2 + -ER entry 2, probably after Middle French aventurier, adventurier

The monster manual was made available a few days ago. I am really liking the Dolmenwood take on dragons. I seriously want to create a dungeon, maybe four or five levels deep, that has a black bile wyrm at the end. The final room has the wyrm slithering from the chamber, only the burst back in through the walls, the floor, or the ceiling. PCs can make a Wisdom ability check to try to determine from which direction the burrowing wyrm is coming.

The digital map has also been released as a preview today - thankfully not only in player and referee versions, but also with a referee map specifically geared towards VTT use.

Also: photos of the lovely dice bag :)
85a3a4195aaf37338cddfc4d7e92f6de_original.jpg
fb258d7ff5c02fce963aa97590fa0adb_original.jpg

The rest of the campaign book dropped today, along with an updated monster book.

The hexes are all there, now, and a neat feature of the pdf is that you can tap on the small map insert to see what is in the adjacent hexes, and it jumps straight to them.

I thought it said that the “redcap” adventure was included, but it’s not.
I hope to start the players in Brackenwald, and let them enter the forest from there.

Have a dictionary at hand when perusing this book.
Jilly Jump-at-the-moon has a gurning grin.

Gurning is a distorted facial expression that involves projecting the lower jaw as far forward and up as possible and covering the upper lip with the lower lip.1 It is a deliberate process of pulling a stupidly funny, grotesque or ugly face. Gurning is also a British tradition in some villages.

Remove ads