OSR Dolmenwood Books

I made the mistake of reading through the descriptions of “poor food” while eating spaghetti.

There are options for playing “kindred-as-class” in the appendix. Breggles get arcane magic at higher levels.

I dislike that the publishers continued the misguided tradition of calling a particular class “Thief”. The correct name is “Expert Treasure Hunter”.

This post probably should have gone in the “TTRPG General” section.

Last edited:

pwhimp

Explorer
Plenty of worms in the poor food. Blech.

I've come to really like kindred-as-class. I feel it helps to avoid the humans-in-funny-hats dilemma.

I disagree about thief as a name. I think the thief class does things that no expert treasure hunter class should be designed to do like backstab and legerdemain.

Dolmenwood is basically B/X, so I think it's okay. I'm unclear where these things should go too . OSR is such a broad category that it seems weird to have the tag in the D&D older editions section.

At one point, it mentions that water is easy to find in Dolmenwood, because of a plethora of streams, springs, a pools.

Is that generally true of forests?

Weiley31

Legend
I like it. I will admit I'm mostly wanting Dolmenwood because the idea is to combine its classes and stuff for my OSE games.

Also, I can FINALLY under-bloody-stand how Turn Undead works now. So, I'm probably gonna just import Dolmenwood's Turn Undead and use it for the Cleric and stuff in OSE.

For reference, re: the Medieval peasant’s diet

From the article:
“The findings demonstrated that stews (or pottages) of meat (beef and mutton) and vegetables such as cabbage and leek, were the mainstay of the medieval peasant diet.

The research also showed that dairy products, likely the ‘green cheeses’ known to be eaten by the peasantry, also played an important role in their diet.”

I don’t remember where I read this, but I think beers and ales also provided some nutrients to the peasants.

Remove ads