• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Question: How can I keep my players from taking 3 days to check a room?

Otterscrubber

First Post
At least at the low levels I often have characters with protective spells like mage armor or cat's grace that don't last more than a few hours. If they spend too much time searching things out then those spells fade and they are at a severe disadvantage.

Even at the higher levels this will apply for spells that only last 10/minutes/level like invis, see invis or levitate for example. In my campaigns this often serves as enough impetus to keep them from spending too much time on mundane tasks and slowing the game. You might try running some adventures that require these spells to solve the dungeon or puzzle and that they need to have them up all the time. That should make things interesting and keep things moving.

IceBear

Explorer
I think it's Magus_Jarel or Magus_Jaral

Unfortunately, there are two people with almost the same nick...one is nice, the other.....well....I try to be polite :)

IceBear

Gromm

First Post
kreynolds said:

Yep. This guy is new.

Relax, doktorstick. IceBear wasn't attacking you, nor was he being rude, nor was he being condecending, nor was he being cruel. IceBear doesn't do that. That's my job, and he knows that.

Your comments are appreciated, and I'm sure I speak for at least a few others when I say that.

Aint that the F'ing truth.

You're like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I keep waiting for you to end a post with a quote and "Thats a really good idea... FOR ME TO POOP ON!"

Still theres something likeable about both you and Triumph. Just can't take either of you too seriously most of the time.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Gromm said:
You're like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I keep waiting for you to end a post with a quote and "Thats a really good idea... FOR ME TO POOP ON!"

LMAO :D

Gromm said:
Still theres something likeable about both you and Triumph. Just can't take either of you too seriously most of the time.

Hey, I try not to take myself seriously most of the time! :)

Dimwhit

Explorer
I've always felt that the searching rule, while perhaps good, is incredibly tedious. The party, of course, doesn't want to miss a trap or secret door, but the DM wants to keep things moving along. In the interest of speeding things up, just give the party rogue one roll for the whole room. He either finds it or not on that roll. If he insists on taking 20, kill him.

Remove ads