• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarming a Bow with a Melee Weapon?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
This isn't strictly rules-related, but I think it's relevant:

It's been years since I fired a bow. But if I recall correctly, you hold the bow in one hand, and the arrow in the other hand. Specifically, between the knuckles of your forefinger and middle finger. Neither hand should touch the bowstring.

Even though it takes two hands to use a bow as a weapon, you're only holding it with one hand. And right after you've shot an arrow, your arrow-holding hand is completely empty.

If someone was being totally rules-lawyery, I might allow her to retain her last arrow of the round in order to gain its bonus on opposed rolls. This would represent the extra control the archer has when she's exerting force on the bow (even indirectly) with her arrow-hand. If someone really thought this bonus was worth giving up an attack for, it wouldn't bother me too much.

I'd probably also allow an archer to use the deflect arrows feat: as I stated, after you fire an arrow, your arrow-hand is empty.

Although I've never used a crossbow, I imagine you always keep both hands on the weapon: one hand would support the front of the crossbow and aim it, and the other hand would support the back of the crossbow and fire it. Pulling the trigger wouldn't involve letting go with the triggerhand.

Daniel

Gromm

First Post
Xarlen said:
Well, I'll be a goblin's uncle...

(And, I prefer Kobolds, so that's sayin' something!)

Edit: Hey! I think that could be used to support the Adamantite for Arrows arguement. ;)

I'll stab you in one eye with a solid Adamantite arrow and in the other eye with a arrow with an Adamantite head, and then beat you with the damn bow.

*cough*

Sorry, just hate that thread.

:)

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Gromm said:

I'll stab you in one eye with a solid Adamantite arrow and in the other eye with a arrow with an Adamantite head, and then beat you with the damn bow.

:)

Ah, but the arrows only do 1d4 points of damage as a melee weapon, and the bow has a -4 as an improvised weapon. It shall hardly scratch me! :)

Gromm

First Post
Xarlen said:

Ah, but the arrows only do 1d4 points of damage as a melee weapon, and the bow has a -4 as an improvised weapon. It shall hardly scratch me! :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Negative Zero

First Post
Pielorinho said:
...you hold the bow in one hand, and the arrow in the other hand. Specifically, between the knuckles of your forefinger and middle finger. Neither hand should touch the bowstring....

good point. no self respecting archer grasps the string. not if he wants to be at all effective :)

~NegZ

Remove ads