• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did anyone stick with 3.0?

I guess the title says it all. For those of you who moved to 3rd edition, how many stuck with the 3.0 version and stuck with it throughout their experience of 3rd edition, not moving to 3.5?

And I guess I would qualify that if you picked up 3.0, said, "I really don't like this." and went back to whatever you were doing, and never touched 3.5 for that reason, that's sort of a different situation. I'm talking about people who said, "I want to play 3rd edition, but don't see the need to make the 3.0-->3.5 change."

Celebrim

Legend
More or less yes, I stuck with 3.0 and didn't move to 3.5.

Certain 'errata' from 3.5 I did adopt, for example I reluctantly admitted that Haste was too good as written, and adopted something close to the 3.5 version.

But changes to spells like Blasphemy and Alter Self which were badly thought out convinced me almost at first sight that 3.5 was breaking far more things than it fixed, and making changes that went beyond mere errata and did not seem to have good cause. The more time that passes since that decision, the more correct it has seemed to me.

At that point, I started making an effort to consolidate my house rules in a single document based on the combined 3.0 and 3.5 SRD along with various changes I felt were compelling and justifiable for my own game.

The resulting document is roughly as close to 3.0 as Pathfinder is to 3.5, and is the official rules of my game. But in many cases the 3.0 Player's Handbook is perfectly viable as a reference.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
If I recall correctly, Monte Cook said his home game stayed with 3.0, modified occasionally by his house rules.

However, I don't have the patience to sift through search results to find this online.

Orius

Legend
Since my books are all 3.0, I pretty much stuck with the original stuff. I don't mind using 3.5 stuff where it makes since, but I wasn't happy about the sweeping revisions and didn't want to buy new core books again.

GreyLord

Legend
I admit, I moved to 3.5, but there were some things that I really didn't like with 3.5 and sometimes kept the 3e idea. For example, with Rangers, I wanted them to have more than 1d8 HD...and so kept it at 1d10, especially for those that went the two weapon fighting route.

If I wasn't with a group that would abuse them, I also kept other things spellwise from 3e because I liked the flavor and how they worked better in that light.

I also kept a 3e PHB as my travel playbook if I had other people that played and would travel with me. That first printing of the PHB with the monsters and other stuff that gave you just enough to run the game was perfect for a travel edition where the lighter your bags were the better.

Remove ads